Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: SonicGDK 1.20.072 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

SonicGDK 1.20.072 Along with playable levels inside

#796 User is offline Twilightzoney 

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

• Project:Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
Yeah, I'm not really digging that open worldness, and his videos are all like that (SuperSonic68) they tend to get annoying. I prefer to stick with a dead set layout paths, they just seem to work better for Sonic and the gameplay. But either way, nice work with what you've done.
This post has been edited by Twilightzoney: 13 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

#797 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:42 AM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects

View PostTheActualKK, on 12 February 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

I wish that I could say that we just released Green Hill Paradise after all this time and that you can download it right now, but our download link is broken and I haven't yet found a new place to host the 300+ MB file. Does anybody here know a place I could host it that wouldn't die under pressure? Anybody who could help me out now would REALLY be a big help.

Of course, I can at least link you to the release video on youtube, but until we get a working download I'm afraid it's destined to be teaser trailer material. But hey, might as well get it out there anyways. Hopefully it makes you all want the download link fixed as badly as we do now!

Green Hill Paradise release video

Make it into an online racing game ! That way you add more pourpouse and gameplay depth for the open running enviromens.
the game looks to have good structure to be a fun racing game ,
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 13 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

#798 User is offline TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

• OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST
  • Project:Sonic 1 Color Contrast
Downloading Now. This really reminds me of the Sonic CD opening. Which is very awesome.

#799 User is offline RGamer2009 

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

• True Blue
  • Wiki edits:3,086
Downloaded. It chugs a lot when looking at everything at once and only a bit when not, but I can definitely see potential in this project.

Specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
Intel HD Graphics
8 GB RAM
Intel I3 Core 3.20 GHz
This post has been edited by RGamer2009: 13 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

#800 User is offline Toriano 

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:04 AM

• Superficial
  • Project:None
: o
This is a custom model type that I had an idea for.It basically launches sonic into Eggman's machines allowing him to destroy things from the inside of his computer.
It's just a thought,but it digitizes sonic into data and acts more like zone jump to a loading screen that allows you to go into a cyber form.Cyber bounce concept.

#801 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:22 AM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
That falls into the realm of "fangame property" and out of the scope of this topic, in my opinion. But it looks cool.

#802 User is offline Toriano 

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

• Superficial

View PostAerosolSP, on 14 February 2012 - 05:22 AM, said:

That falls into the realm of "fangame property" and out of the scope of this topic, in my opinion. But it looks cool.

Apologize about that.Didn't mean to derail the topic.

#803 User is offline Thousand Pancake 

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:27 AM

• Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the morning
The only thing I really didn't like about the Green Hill Paradise demo, besides the fact that it was easy to get lost, was the fact that you absolutely had to use boost to climb up steep inclines and across loops. I'd rather let pure momentum do that job for me.

View PostRGamer2009, on 13 February 2012 - 10:11 PM, said:

Downloaded. It chugs a lot when looking at everything at once and only a bit when not, but I can definitely see potential in this project.

Specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
Intel HD Graphics
8 GB RAM
Intel I3 Core 3.20 GHz
Get a graphics card? :v:

Anyway, I'm running an i3 on this Thinkpad of mine with a much slower clockspeed (2.1 Ghz) and I'm not really getting any of the choppiness. Then again, maybe I just have lower standards than you do. Or maybe you have HD 2000 graphics and not HD 3000 like on my machine.

#804 User is offline Trunks 

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:19 AM

• AGAIN TRY
  • Project:Sure to be Ban'd, The Bancast, Trunks & Soto, iLove
  • Wiki edits:30

View PostTheActualKK, on 13 February 2012 - 02:33 AM, said:

Oh, by the way, we fixed the link. Go ahead and give'er a try. Feedback is always welcome as well. Download is much slower than I wanted but what can you do? I'm dead tired from pulling more or less an all-nighter this weekend, so forgive me if this reads informally. Here's the Youtube link again for everybody.

Gotta go fast

Thanks again for taking an interest in our work!

I played the build, which is nothing but a bunch of disjointed hills with no real sense of direction. I can understand the idea of going open-world, but when everything looks like a mess of randomly extruded bumps on a plane with awful texture mapping, it's difficult to really get behind it.

Try this, make one pathway to a goal. Then, make a second one. Then find a way to connect those in an interesting way. Then create a third, and do the same. Then, take your negative space, and find a creative way to connect it all together in a concise way. Because right now, all you've got on your hands is a mess.

#805 User is offline Toriano 

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

• Superficial
I can't say that I'm truthfully wow'd visually.The geometry of the landscape is brutally sharp in areas.
On alot of the edges,you can see extremely stretched UV's and on some parts of the bridge,it feels a
bit out of place because you can feel the orientation jittering the camera movement.I'd try placing a
simpler collision for it.Anyways,I really felt lost whilst playing.There we're no real indications as to where
I should be going,unless I we're to count the signs.I could barely see them though.When your playing
a sonic game,usually your confined to an area,but here,it's more open.

I think that you'll honestly have to explore it a bit more and see how you can make this work to be
less confusing to the players.I liked how his speed was more defined and how his movement was a
bit more adjusted to suit better controls.It felt absolutely dreadful having lose a ton of momentum
at the slightest 60-90 degree angle.This looks to be a nostalgic type of project seeing that it's based
from one of the most memorable areas of S.T.H.

Last thing I want to touch on is the scenery.Some of it doesn't seem to go hand in hand with the other
so it feels awkwardly placed.I addition to that,I think that the huge trail of light is a bit too much.

#806 User is offline Namo 

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

• take a screenshot of your heart
  • Project:dynamicite.org
Hey, guys familiar with UDK and GDK, I've got a question, mostly pertaining to SonicGDK.

Is it possible to set up the camera in SonicGDK similar to how the camera works in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2? Like, you can move it and rotate it but in actual levels the camera is locked in certain angles and follows you? (I am terrible at explaining what I'm trying to explain, sorry!)

Like for example in Emerald Coast the camera starts out behind Sonic and follows him, and then during the whale chase scene it's in front of him pointing at his face? Or in City Escape, at the beginning the camera starts out pointing at Sonic as he descends and then switches to behind him for the street-boarding section.

#807 User is offline Azu 

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

• I must be stupid.
You use the camera object to do that.

#808 User is offline Xaklse 

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

• Wiki edits:11
You have to use a CameraInfo object for each camera you want.

#809 User is offline Mortimer 

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:36 PM

I'm curious if a ingame map/mini-map would be possible, maybe that could alleviate the feeling of getting lost in more open levels somewhat?

#810 User is offline MrCoconuts 

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

• Mercilessly tortured by Robotnik
  • Project:waiting for approval
Playing the test world with my gamepad, and my Y axis is inverted. How do I change this?

• 79 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users