don't click here

Sally in Sonic 1!

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by E-122-Psi, Jan 2, 2010.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Hey, as a newbie to both the Retro forums and the hacking scene itself, I will introduce myself with my first project. Behold, Princess Sally Acorn in Sonic the Hedgehog 1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Newest revision has revamped controls, Sally can't spin and is slower than Sonic, but has better jumping and acceleration:

* NICOLE Laser Attack: Press A and Sally uses NICOLE to fire a small radius laser blast which can destroy enemies and obstacles in her path.
    * Slide: Press Down while running to slide on the ground for a short distance. Sally can also slide under certain obstacles using this method.
    * Somersault Dash: Press Down and B/C while on the ground and Sally will somersault forward at a high speed. This is useful for jumping long distances.

Current Bugs:

* Sally's ground attack animation resets instead of ends if interupted (eg. turning around or falls off a ledge).
    * Demos obviously f***ed up.

Download:

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sally_Acorn_in_Sonic_the_Hedgehog

Previous Revisions:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/4hh6ob

Thanx goes to a lot of members of Sonic Retro (especially Aquaslash, qiuu and Hayate) who tutored me through this thing.

2. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    There seems to be a graphical glitch on the title screen (it flickers soon after it appears).

Did you draw those sprites yourself? They look very nice.

3. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Banned
    At first glance, I thought those were a sheet from TMFZ, but they do appear to be homemade! Nice work!

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Ah, I was wondering whether that was the emulator or not. Not sure how to fix it though.

Thanx. Yes, the Sally sheet is my own, I also have one made for Sonic 2 and 3+Knux for possible future projects, as well as a whole loada custom sprites and animations.

5. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

beautifully draw sprites, dude

6. The sprites are awesome. For Sonic 2, maybe Tails could be Antoine, while in Sonic 3, Knuckles could be Bunny Rabbot?

EDIT: WOW. All the Title Animations have been done? I was expecting a still frame like usual...

I did notice one thing though, the running sprites jump a bit too much, they should be a bit more smooth.

7. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Banned
    Why stop there? Update to Archie Mecha while your at it! :specialed:

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It is a fantastically done sprite set. I wonder if you could make a sprite set for Sonic that would actually look like some of the classic artwork (Something like this)

[​IMG]

I feel like none of the games ever capture the artwork. Sonic 3 had good sprites but they weren't trying to imitate the artwork it seems, rather they were just going for their own thing. It worked well enough but I have to wonder.

9. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Impressive so far! Those title sprites couldn't be anywhere near perfect in terms of design, Awesome!

Do you have plans to continue this any further? (I.e. layout changes, Object placement, programmed moves?) I'd certainly love to see that.

10. Flygon

Flygon

I thought the time of sprite hacks was well gone.

I was wrong.

It makes me happy to see that people are still willing to do sprite-only hacks, and it indeed does look great... could I suggest getting someone else to hack the layouts though? It'll really draw more people into the hack, but upon seeing what you plan to do, I think you've probably thought of this.

11. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    If you can make those sprites, think of all the original art you could make :psyduck:

I look forward to your work around here!

12. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    It's funny that you bring that up. I've actually got a sprite sheet of concept-art-Sonic finished, but I'm using it exclusively for my Sonic game. I might show some of the sprites off sometime (in fact, Sonic's death animation is posted in the board's Pixel Art thread), but I currently feel like surprising everyone by showing them off in a game demo. ;)

I was hoping I could get that demo out soon, but I wanna make some really impressive first-zone levels, and I feel like I'm really struggling with that.

Anyway, those Sally sprites are by far the most impressive sprites I've ever seen! How long did that set of sprites take you to complete?

13. Nice! Now that this baby is on Retro, you might just get the help to iron out those bugs. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

14. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Wow, great sprite work!

You've managed to capture Sally's personality perfectly. (I love the Nicole waiting animation - nice touch!) You've even got all the extra animations from Labyrinth, which is impressive.

As a Sonic fan who was introduced to the SatAM 'toon and the games virtually simultaneously, seeing this done so nicely gives me a geeky thrill. :v:

15. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Holy crap, you are good. <3

16. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

That Sally sprite and the title screen animation is just superb. The only sprite animation that looked a little off to me was the full speed run, mainly because it sort of wobbles back and forth a little bit too much. I also kind of like the (I presume unintentional) colour scheme of the badniks and some of the items.

17. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Yeah...... anyone got any suggestions for those by the way?

As said before, I would like to focus on the character before implementing new levels and attributes, etc.

I would like to implement a new gameplay mechanic for the character, though I will need a bit more tutoring to figure out how to edit abilities and such. I kinda vision her as somewhat like Amy in Sonic Advance, with unique attacks and abilities in place of spin moves, here's some sample sprites and animations of some of my concepts (ignore the different pallette):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd at least like to learn how to edit her basic stats to make her more an 'agility type' anyway (eg. decrease her speed, increase her accelleration and jump)

The dash 'wobble' was intentional, mainly the give her movement a more 'organic' feel I think suits her character more (similar to Amy's run in the Advance series). A lot of Sonic's movement doesn't really fit Sally, the spin animation also looks kinda awkward.

Hmm, I have yet to really try out imitating the 'old school' style (Watanabee's work isn't it) sounds like someone else is trying out a similar project though.

I have tried out Uekawa's modern style a lot though:

http://e-122-psi.deviantart.com/

(Shameless self-prrrrrromotion).

18. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    If those get in, I will love you =D

19. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    What disasm are you using?
    Speed is in RAM location FFFFF760, acceleration is in RAM location FFFFF762, and deceleration is in RAM location FFFFF764.
    As for the jump, you have to edit the Sonic_Jump routine. Namely, the move.w #$680,d2 and the move.w #$380,d2 instructions, where 680 and 380 are the jump heights for underwater and overwater respectively.

20. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    You got a deviantWatch out of me, I'll tell ya! :)

It's going to be interesting to see if you can do beautiful zone art to go with those amazing sprites. ;)