Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sally in Sonic 1! - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 11 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sally in Sonic 1!

#151 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:34 PM

• Wiki edits:41

View PostMotorRoach, on 23 November 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

I dig the scan update, pretty neat feature for Sally.

Thanx. I'm wondering whether it overpowers Sally however. She can skip a lot of the puzzle aspects of the game now (which you'd think would be the part that best fit Sally), and with the long distance projectile, I'm not sure even her inability to spin evens it out.

Not to mention her controls are a bit cluttered now. Opinions everyone. Should anything be streamlined or given the (blue) boot?
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 23 November 2014 - 11:36 PM

#152 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:14 PM

Uploaded bugfix revision:

* Rev 01 graphics added.
* Level select order fixed.
* Omitted a couple of objects NICOLE could scan due to buggy programming and making Sally's gameplay a bit too cheap.
* Scan mode now deletes when firing at objects, preventing bug where effects turn on and off again on objects due to laser flying for too long inside them.
* Most of the demos rerecorded (SBZ2's credits demo is still buggy due to timing issues with the cylinders).
* Bug causing Sally to be able to smash certain objects while running fixed.
* Bug causing NICOLE's laser to collect rings fixed.
* Sally's jump height while downward firing in water fixed.
* Minor pallette fixes for certain sprites.
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 02 December 2014 - 10:32 PM

#153 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:38 AM

Minor bugfix update:

* Fixed bug that allowed Sally to destroy Marble Zone blocks (how did I miss that one? :P).
* Fixed bug where Sally's landing animation doesn't activate underwater.
* Got SBZ2's ending demo to work at least semi-competently.
* Minor palette tweaks.
* Minor tweaks to Sally's stats (mostly to make her slightly slower but with better acceleration/deceleration).

I've also followed S2+K's direction and added a couple of hidden bonuses exclusive to Sally. Not very elaborate, but points for anyone who finds them.

Had to upload onto Sendspace since the wiki isn't letting me log in for some reason:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/e4zsv4

#154 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:05 PM

• 3rd top wiki contributor
  • Wiki edits:14,865
Pretty cool that you are still updating this hack. Her hacking move seems like a great feature. How about a youtube video?

#155 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:14 PM

View PostMathUser, on 16 January 2015 - 12:05 PM, said:

Pretty cool that you are still updating this hack. Her hacking move seems like a great feature. How about a youtube video?

It was my very first hack, so I want to keep fine tuning it and making it as perfect as possible. The tweaking will likely never stop (I have plans to update some of my other character hacks accordingly).

This is the most recent video, not of the current revision, but shows the newer gameplay in action:

This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 16 January 2015 - 12:17 PM

#156 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:35 PM

• 3rd top wiki contributor
  • Wiki edits:14,865
Oh, so the hacking only works on monitors. If you get bored you should expand on that. You could have it control obstacles or badniks. B button could hack the nearest badnik and then you start moving them.

#157 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:05 AM

View PostMathUser, on 16 January 2015 - 04:35 PM, said:

Oh, so the hacking only works on monitors. If you get bored you should expand on that. You could have it control obstacles or badniks. B button could hack the nearest badnik and then you start moving them.

It works on a select number of different objects, though my programming is limited. You can shoot at switches to save jumping on them (or to hit them from behind a wall) for example. Most of the other objects are in the second half of the game (I intended to make it work on a couple other objects like freezing the moving glass blocks in MZ, but the programming was so complex it only caused glitches).

I don't want Sally too god modded anyway. Altering power ups and finding odd shortcuts seems a big enough bonus (the badnik manipulate ability is taken by Silver in Aquaslash's hack anyway).
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 17 January 2015 - 04:08 AM

#158 User is offline Jcaraballo 

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:49 PM

Spanish:

Buen hack. ahora quiero ver a Bunnie, Rotor y Antoine en Sonic 1.

English:

Good hack. Now I want to see Bunnie, Rotor and Antoine in Sonic 1.

#159 User is offline MotorRoach 

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:50 PM

If you want to see that happening, you might as well do it yourself, rather than demanding other people do it for you.

#160 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:05 PM

Funny you should say that:

Posted Image

It's not nearly finished but I've made some progress into her moveset.

#161 User is offline .Luke 

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:08 PM

• Slowly going full furry
Another thing to note is that most likely, the creators of these hacks, or really any other kind of project, thought about the very same thing; they just don't have the time for it. That's when you need to take matters into your own hands.

I made a sheet of Blaze for hacks myself, since nobody else was going to do it. Only problem is importing those sprites into the game is a butt, so it's taking me a while. :specialed:

#162 User is offline KingofHarts 

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:15 PM

• Project:Project Sonic 8x16
  • Wiki edits:1
E-122 you never cease to amaze me with these character hacks. Nice looking Bunnie Rabbot going on there.

Now on a side note, and please don't interpret this as any form of backseat modding. But a post above me kinda bothers me a tad.
Basic ASM hacking in of itself isn't too hard to pick up. Granted... mastery is VERY HARD... but if one applies themselves, they will, at the very absolute least, be able to change small things like what sounds play when, and # of points... speed that the character runs... stuff like that. Hell you can make Sonic run like he's on coke with a few small tweaks (no pun intended)
[Disclaimer: KingofHarts does NOT condone the usage of any form of drugs... but DOES condone ROM hacks simulating what could possibly be interpreted as after effects of drugs for entertainment purposes. *cough* RING RIDE *cough*]

@Jcaraballo please heed these words, and pick up a disassembly and give it a go. GitHub link is at the top. I recommend starting with Sonic 1.
MarkeyJester has the best hacking tutorials on the internet. A google search of "MJ 68K tutorial" will do you great.

• 11 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users