Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sally in Sonic 1! - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 11 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sally in Sonic 1!

#16 User is offline GagaMan 

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:10 AM

That Sally sprite and the title screen animation is just superb. The only sprite animation that looked a little off to me was the full speed run, mainly because it sort of wobbles back and forth a little bit too much. I also kind of like the (I presume unintentional) colour scheme of the badniks and some of the items.

#17 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:44 AM

• Wiki edits:41
QUOTE (Sawhog @ Jan 2 2010, 03:20 AM)
Nice! Now that this baby is on Retro, you might just get the help to iron out those bugs. Keep up the good work! thumbsup.png

Yeah...... anyone got any suggestions for those by the way?

QUOTE (MarkeyJester @ Jan 2 2010, 12:52 AM)
Impressive so far! Those title sprites couldn't be anywhere near perfect in terms of design, Awesome!

Do you have plans to continue this any further? (I.e. layout changes, Object placement, programmed moves?) I'd certainly love to see that.

As said before, I would like to focus on the character before implementing new levels and attributes, etc.

I would like to implement a new gameplay mechanic for the character, though I will need a bit more tutoring to figure out how to edit abilities and such. I kinda vision her as somewhat like Amy in Sonic Advance, with unique attacks and abilities in place of spin moves, here's some sample sprites and animations of some of my concepts (ignore the different pallette):

I'd at least like to learn how to edit her basic stats to make her more an 'agility type' anyway (eg. decrease her speed, increase her accelleration and jump)

QUOTE (GagaMan @ Jan 2 2010, 08:10 AM)
That Sally sprite and the title screen animation is just superb. The only sprite animation that looked a little off to me was the full speed run, mainly because it sort of wobbles back and forth a little bit too much. I also kind of like the (I presume unintentional) colour scheme of the badniks and some of the items.

The dash 'wobble' was intentional, mainly the give her movement a more 'organic' feel I think suits her character more (similar to Amy's run in the Advance series). A lot of Sonic's movement doesn't really fit Sally, the spin animation also looks kinda awkward.

QUOTE (Dark Sonic @ Jan 2 2010, 12:31 AM)
It is a fantastically done sprite set. I wonder if you could make a sprite set for Sonic that would actually look like some of the classic artwork (Something like this)

I feel like none of the games ever capture the artwork. Sonic 3 had good sprites but they weren't trying to imitate the artwork it seems, rather they were just going for their own thing. It worked well enough but I have to wonder.

Hmm, I have yet to really try out imitating the 'old school' style (Watanabee's work isn't it) sounds like someone else is trying out a similar project though.

I have tried out Uekawa's modern style a lot though:

http://e-122-psi.deviantart.com/

(Shameless self-prrrrrromotion).

#18 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:47 AM

• The architect of the universe, didn't build a stairway, leading nowhere.
  • Wiki edits:16
QUOTE (E-122-Psi @ Jan 2 2010, 01:44 PM)

If those get in, I will love you =D

#19 User is offline nineko 

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:49 AM

• I am the Holy Cat
  • Project:I... don't even know anymore :U
  • Wiki edits:5,251
QUOTE (E-122-Psi @ Jan 2 2010, 02:44 PM)
I'd at least like to learn how to edit her basic stats to make her more an 'agility type' anyway (eg. decrease her speed, increase her accelleration and jump)
What disasm are you using?
Speed is in RAM location FFFFF760, acceleration is in RAM location FFFFF762, and deceleration is in RAM location FFFFF764.
As for the jump, you have to edit the Sonic_Jump routine. Namely, the move.w #$680,d2 and the move.w #$380,d2 instructions, where 680 and 380 are the jump heights for underwater and overwater respectively.

#20 User is offline Jayextee 

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:52 AM

• Comic Mischief
  • Project:I DONE MAKED GAMES.
  • Wiki edits:27
You got a deviantWatch out of me, I'll tell ya! smile.png

It's going to be interesting to see if you can do beautiful zone art to go with those amazing sprites. wink.png

#21 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE (True Dude @ Jan 2 2010, 12:10 AM)
QUOTE (E-122-Psi @ Jan 1 2010, 07:22 PM)
Thanx. Yes, the Sally sheet is my own, I also have one made for Sonic 2 and 3+Knux for possible future projects, as well as a whole loada custom sprites and animations.

The sprites are awesome. For Sonic 2, maybe Tails could be Antoine, while in Sonic 3, Knuckles could be Bunny Rabbot?

EDIT: WOW. All the Title Animations have been done? I was expecting a still frame like usual...

I did notice one thing though, the running sprites jump a bit too much, they should be a bit more smooth.

I'm actually working on some Bunnie sprites (I have a sample on DA), only Sally is up to full playability right now though (she alone took about three or four months). I like the idea of game with Sonic and Sally as partners though, a Sonic 2 hack next then?

QUOTE (nineko @ Jan 2 2010, 08:49 AM)
QUOTE (E-122-Psi @ Jan 2 2010, 02:44 PM)
What disasm are you using?
Speed is in RAM location FFFFF760, acceleration is in RAM location FFFFF762, and deceleration is in RAM location FFFFF764.
As for the jump, you have to edit the Sonic_Jump routine. Namely, the move.w #$680,d2 and the move.w #$380,d2 instructions, where 680 and 380 are the jump heights for underwater and overwater respectively.

The HiveBrain one.

I found the running and jumping data on Sonic1.asm, not really sure how you go about increasing or decreasing it though.

QUOTE (Jayextee @ Jan 2 2010, 08:52 AM)
You got a deviantWatch out of me, I'll tell ya! smile.png

It's going to be interesting to see if you can do beautiful zone art to go with those amazing sprites. wink.png

Much appreciated.

QUOTE (MarkeyJester @ Jan 2 2010, 08:47 AM)
QUOTE (E-122-Psi @ Jan 2 2010, 01:44 PM)

If those get in, I will love you =D

I can imagine them taking a lot of space however, especially since there's little tile repeat there (the jump kick could perhaps have some of frames taken out though). I also have a NICOLE lazer animation and one of her Mars hoverboard concept.
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 02 January 2010 - 09:03 AM

#22 User is offline Sparks 

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:56 AM

• Project:Kyle and Lucy: Wonderworld
  • Wiki edits:21
Oooh

I'm loving the sprite animations; was expectiong a random hack putting in the sprites from MFZ, but I'm impressed. smile.png

Kind of funny too, since I recently got permission to use this: http://darkburraki.deviantart.com/art/Soni...-Sally-50304606 v.png

#23 User is offline nineko 

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:56 AM

• I am the Holy Cat
  • Project:I... don't even know anymore :U
  • Wiki edits:5,251
Then you're good to go. Look for all the instances of code like this:
CODE
        move.w    #$600,($FFFFF760).w
        move.w    #$C,($FFFFF762).w
        move.w    #$80,($FFFFF764).w
The $600 controls Sonic's speed, $C the acceleration, $80 the deceleration. Raise or decrease those values as you wish. E.g. to make Sonic twice as fast you change $600 to $C00. To make him twice as slow you change $600 to $300. And so on.
Note that this code appears multiple times in the disassembly, for when you get inside/outside the water, for when you get/unget speed shoes, etc. So make sure to edit all the instances.

edit: for the jumping go to the Sonic_Jump routine. There is this code:
CODE
        move.w    #$680,d2
(snip)
        move.w    #$380,d2
Raise/decrease the $680 and the $380 to make Sonic jump higher/lower.

edit2: fffffff I used speed values from my hack. Fixed.
This post has been edited by nineko: 02 January 2010 - 09:02 AM

#24 User is offline iojnekns 

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:34 AM

• trouble keeps you runnin' faster
  • Wiki edits:14
Nice to see you getting recognition for your fine work. Someone earlier mentioned that it is a bit old-hat to be posting sprite hacks here in space year 2010, but what I particularly like about E-122-Psi is despite having art chops that a good amount of hackers would kill to work with, he showed up with his sprites and went about putting the hack together himself. Simple achievable goal, and you must have managed it in less than two weeks as well.

Anyway, enjoy the warm glow of praise and try not to get to carried away with some of the lofty ideas being casually thrown out around here. Whilst I'm sure a level drawn by you would probably be preposterously good, I'd love to see your S2 and S3 plans brought to fruitition, for a truly stellar sheet. As for any help you might need, you know where to find it.

#25 User is offline Selbi 

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:41 AM

• Impaled with Extreme Prejudice
  • Project:Sonic ERaZor
  • Wiki edits:320
Graphical seen it's very nice done, but it's a little bit boring that you don't have any special moves (I never watched SatAM, so I don't know if she has special moves anyway =P). Keep it up.

#26 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE (iojnekns @ Jan 2 2010, 09:34 AM)
Nice to see you getting recognition for your fine work. Someone earlier mentioned that it is a bit old-hat to be posting sprite hacks here in space year 2010, but what I particularly like about E-122-Psi is despite having art chops that a good amount of hackers would kill to work with, he showed up with his sprites and went about putting the hack together himself. Simple achievable goal, and you must have managed it in less than two weeks as well.

Anyway, enjoy the warm glow of praise and try not to get to carried away with some of the lofty ideas being casually thrown out around here. Whilst I'm sure a level drawn by you would probably be preposterously good, I'd love to see your S2 and S3 plans brought to fruitition, for a truly stellar sheet. As for any help you might need, you know where to find it.

Thanx.

Well notice that most of those pics used for that link most of the focus is on the characters rather than the background, character art is what I supply better with, though I may try making some level art later on in the run.

QUOTE (Selbi @ Jan 2 2010, 10:41 AM)
Graphical seen it's very nice done, but it's a little bit boring that you don't have any special moves (I never watched SatAM, so I don't know if she has special moves anyway =P). Keep it up.

Her physical abilities in SatAm were actually kinda vague, the best she had was a little sumersault jump she made, though it seemed completely for show (though adds to my theory she would make a good 'agility' type that excells in jump moves). She also used NICOLE as a lazer gun at one point. In Archie she has martial arts similar to Rouge, though even then seems to be more a tech member and 'brains' of a mission (though she did give Sonic a run for his money in that brainwashed issue early on). She is sorta the 'badass normal' of the group, she has great physical strength and agility but on completely mortal standards.

I would implement new moves if I new how to do so (look at earlier posts for custom move sprites). I sorta vision her in similar vien as Amy in Sonic Advance, with alt abilities and moves in place of spin attack (albeit with this move still available for necessary 'forced' areas such as Green Hill and Scrap Brain chutes). Any who know how to implement such mechanics would be a huge help.

QUOTE (nineko @ Jan 2 2010, 08:56 AM)
Then you're good to go. Look for all the instances of code like this:
CODE
        move.w    #$600,($FFFFF760).w
        move.w    #$C,($FFFFF762).w
        move.w    #$80,($FFFFF764).w
The $600 controls Sonic's speed, $C the acceleration, $80 the deceleration. Raise or decrease those values as you wish. E.g. to make Sonic twice as fast you change $600 to $C00. To make him twice as slow you change $600 to $300. And so on.
Note that this code appears multiple times in the disassembly, for when you get inside/outside the water, for when you get/unget speed shoes, etc. So make sure to edit all the instances.

edit: for the jumping go to the Sonic_Jump routine. There is this code:
CODE
        move.w    #$680,d2
(snip)
        move.w    #$380,d2
Raise/decrease the $680 and the $380 to make Sonic jump higher/lower.

edit2: fffffff I used speed values from my hack. Fixed.

Okay I'll give this a shot, it's a good start to making Sal a unique playable character.
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 02 January 2010 - 12:11 PM

#27 User is offline Magickoopa24 

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:18 PM

Nice work! I really like those custom sprites. Now we just need to ASM hack this with new moves! Hey, we can dream, can we? thumbsup.png

#28 User is offline Cinossu 

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:28 PM

• inverted with love~
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
  • Wiki edits:474
For your jumping mechanism, I did this for my own game, Hapi-San. The jumping upwards animation is separate to that of the jump-to-fall bit. You check for the character's Y-speed for going into positive/negative (opposite of jump) before changing animation, and this makes the peak of the jump the moment of change.

#29 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:22 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
This is indeed a very nicely done hack - the sprites have been drawn really well, and look good. It's just a pity it's SatAM really. =P

#30 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (Cinossu @ Jan 2 2010, 12:28 PM)
For your jumping mechanism, I did this for my own game, Hapi-San. The jumping upwards animation is separate to that of the jump-to-fall bit. You check for the character's Y-speed for going into positive/negative (opposite of jump) before changing animation, and this makes the peak of the jump the moment of change.

Okay then, but I'll need to learn how to program animations beforehand (I know how to edit existing ones in a basic sense but not how to make new ones and implement them to controls and actions).

By the way I've practiced tweaking Sally's stats, decreasing the speed (somewhere around #$450 or 500 sound right for her?) means her 'full speed' animation never appears however (outside slopes or speed shoes), anyway to edit that?

I guess she would work as a lighter 'agility' character with slower speed. How would you guys advise to program that, should the accelleration and/or deccelleration be higher or lower for it?
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 02 January 2010 - 03:55 PM

• 11 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users