Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sally in Sonic 1! - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 11 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sally in Sonic 1!

#136 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:50 AM

• The architect of the universe, didn't build a stairway, leading nowhere.
  • Wiki edits:16
First of all, off hand.. Fantastic work!

This is really impressive sprite work and the fact that you're working with sprites that are pretty hard to work with anyway, makes it even more impressive. The animations are very smooth and flow well, and just... All of it is pleasing, keep up the great work.

About using the second palette..

That is actually a good idea, however there are things you'll need to be aware of such as; damaging robotnik in the boss rounds causes the black in the palette to flash white and back simultaneously, the fact that the second palette changes depending on the zone, some enemies use that palette (When it's a different colour), and a few other things.

but judging by how well you've sprited the characters so far, you might even be able to look into badnik spriting, god knows that'll be interesting =)

#137 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:58 PM

• Wiki edits:41
QUOTE (MarkeyJester @ Feb 11 2010, 11:50 AM)
First of all, off hand.. Fantastic work!

This is really impressive sprite work and the fact that you're working with sprites that are pretty hard to work with anyway, makes it even more impressive. The animations are very smooth and flow well, and just... All of it is pleasing, keep up the great work.

About using the second palette..

That is actually a good idea, however there are things you'll need to be aware of such as; damaging robotnik in the boss rounds causes the black in the palette to flash white and back simultaneously, the fact that the second palette changes depending on the zone, some enemies use that palette (When it's a different colour), and a few other things.

but judging by how well you've sprited the characters so far, you might even be able to look into badnik spriting, god knows that'll be interesting =)

I might look into the pallette sorting later, I just really want a working build for now (I admit the pink badniks give it an amusing touch anyway). Thanx for the comments.

I don't really have a lot to show for my Sally hack right now (I'm hopefully within progress of adding some neat new innovations and have even got some nice people who want to assist with it, but it will take a while to figure out), so you'll probably see a build of my Amy hack before a new revision is released.
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 13 February 2010 - 01:11 PM

#138 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:13 PM

• Wiki edits:18
That's some awesome stuff... Are you planning to base the other new animations on her Advance ones?

#139 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:35 PM

Sorry for the huuuugge bump but I thought I may as well add this update on the hack as well as a new wiki page YAY!!!:

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sally_Acorn_in_Sonic_the_Hedgehog

Animations retooled, better attack radius, fixed up graphics and palettes and an extra slide move.

Still not complete yet, currently a collab with another more experienced which should hopefully lead to a very unique movelist and playability. I was gonna save updating till it was done but a few were asking what happened to the project (that and I'm an attention freak that couldn't resist releasing something new compulsively).
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 07 August 2010 - 08:46 PM

#140 User is offline FeliciaVal 

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:10 AM

glad to play the new revision, since this was the hack that inspired me to start hacking smile.png thank you for this Psi, much love smile.png

#141 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE (FeliciaVal @ Aug 8 2010, 09:10 AM)
glad to play the new revision, since this was the hack that inspired me to start hacking smile.png thank you for this Psi, much love smile.png

Um,...you're welcome? v.png

How is your project going by the way?

#142 User is offline FeliciaVal 

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE (E-122-Psi @ Aug 8 2010, 08:14 AM)
QUOTE (FeliciaVal @ Aug 8 2010, 09:10 AM)

Um,...you're welcome? v.png

How is your project going by the way?

kinda slow right now since I have to fix all the palletes and add the ending animations (that means im being lazy)

#143 User is offline Gerkuman 

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:29 AM

• Project:3rd Year University Project (Not Sonic related)
I really like this hack. For a start, the graphics are great, but you've heard that from a lot of people already.

Now, what interests me is how you changed the flow of the game with such a small change. When I play Sonic 1, I usually rush at full pelt; spinning into my enemies and bouncing off them to get further. But removing the spin changes the entire way I play Sonic 1. I have to be more cautious, and keep my finger on the trigger button in case my jump puts me in the path of an enemy.

As for Robotnik... he killed me. He killed me twice over, and I was soon faced with the game over screen. But I didn't care. It was so enjoyable to play something as fresh and unique as this. Keep at it! smile.png

#144 User is offline Namo 

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:29 AM

• take a screenshot of your heart
Taking advantage of the bump:

This is really, really impressive stuff here. I'm usually never too thrilled to see a sprite-swap, but I'll be damned if I don't say anything besides "Wonderfully amazing, 110%." Way to go! Definitely looking forward to more stuff from you.

#145 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:48 PM

Thanx fellas. :D

Glad people like this, I was worried there wasn't really enough on here for a proper update.

#146 User is offline Chilly Willy 

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:56 PM

• Project:Doom 32X
QUOTE (E-122-Psi @ Aug 7 2010, 07:35 PM)
Sorry for the huuuugge bump but I thought I may as well add this update on the hack as well as a new wiki page YAY!!!:

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sally_Acorn_in_Sonic_the_Hedgehog

Animations retooled, better attack radius, fixed up graphics and palettes and an extra slide move.

Still not complete yet, currently a collab with another more experienced which should hopefully lead to a very unique movelist and playability. I was gonna save updating till it was done but a few were asking what happened to the project (that and I'm an attention freak that couldn't resist releasing something new compulsively).

Warning: require_once(specials/SpecialUpload.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/sonicret/domains/info.sonicretro.org/public_html/extensions/SpecialMultiUploadViaZip.php on line 70

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'specials/SpecialUpload.php' (include_path='/home/sonicret/domains/info.sonicretro.org/public_html:/home/sonicret/domains/info.sonicretro.org/public_html/includes:/home/sonicret/domains/info.sonicretro.org/public_html/languages:.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /home/sonicret/domains/info.sonicretro.org/public_html/extensions/SpecialMultiUploadViaZip.php on line 70

Guess the wiki is down right now. sad.png

#147 User is offline Imadjinn 

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:27 PM

Truly a work of art. For some reason my brain just couldn't accept jumping didn't kill though. Never thought I'd die from Eggman trying to escape in the Final Zone.

FFFF~!

#148 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:47 AM

And now for a FOUR YEAR bump to finally release another update of my first hack.

* Sally now has a projectile attack as in Sonic 2 (special thanks to Snkenjoi again). It works more or less identically, complete with added duck and downward fire abilities.

Posted Image
Posted Image

* Sally can now hack Sonic 1! Use the B button to use NICOLE's scan mode on monitors and other obstacles. There's not a great deal of objects it works on so far, but it's worth being creative and seeing how they have affect.
* Some cosmetic refinements such as palette and sprite tune ups.

Bugs:

* The scan mode doesn't always work perfectly on certain objects, I'll need to refine my programming to work out the bugs.
* For some reason, the projectile is buggy close range. The object doesn't delete, meaning you see it bounce off enemies. It also for some reason doesn't activate scan mode point blank.
* The projectile seems to be recognised as the player with the bumper collision, meaning Sally bounces if you shoot them.

Update is on the wiki.
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 22 November 2014 - 10:28 AM

#149 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:46 PM

Bugfix revision added:

* Collision bug fixed.
* Bug concerning projectile collision with bumpers fixed (thanx FraGag).
* Bug which causes hackable objects to explode into animals when invincible fixed (don't know how I missed that one :P).

Update on wiki as usual.

#150 User is offline MotorRoach 

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:43 PM

I dig the scan update, pretty neat feature for Sally.

• 11 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users