Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sally in Sonic 1! - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 11 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sally in Sonic 1!

#121 User is offline SR212787 

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:10 AM

• Project:Sonic 2
Looks great dude. can't wait to see more. It would be great to see some knothole village levels.

#122 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:18 PM

• Wiki edits:41
QUOTE (Kiyo Hosokoawa @ Feb 4 2010, 11:29 AM)
Right right... Now I remember... I even took a look at the episode and what do you know? It showed exactly what you had described here... ^^;

Well then, you could probably do something like a lazer whip or something, you know?

Go ahead and send me a message in that case and we'll start talking about that.

I've already sent a message to you by the way, though I think you got it. lol

That would perhaps work. I was thinking of making it a low distance missle since there have been a couple of complaints about her kick attack having a bad radius. Anyone worked with projectiles that can help me out here?

Also if ANYONE knows how to program wall jump, or at least give me a point in the right direction (my guess is Knuckles' wall climb would have similar mechanics) that would be helpful too.

QUOTE (Ralbalboa @ Feb 4 2010, 11:24 AM)
I knew it! This is great, the classic Amy from Sonic CD. So will her attacking move be to use that fancy hammer of hers?

Pretty much. I'm gonna try replicating her Sonic Advance 1 mechanics (given Sally works in a similar manner it shouldn't be too hard).

QUOTE (SR212787 @ Feb 5 2010, 10:10 AM)
Looks great dude. can't wait to see more. It would be great to see some knothole village levels.

Thanx. I'll work on levels later perhaps. I just wanna refine the character for now.
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 05 February 2010 - 05:21 PM

#123 User is offline Aquaslash 

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:03 PM

• Emerald Dragoon
  • Project:The S Factor: Sonia and Silver
  • Wiki edits:1,144
QUOTE (E-122-Psi @ Feb 4 2010, 08:31 AM)
Probably when I have a basic finished version working. I'm still finishing off the sprites and extra moves (though my work on Sally's movelist will make things easier). Plus I have to fine tune a lot things due to Amy's pallette, which conflicts somewhat with Sonic's:

I think you'll be lucky buddy, it's a nice idea, but characters take memory, MegaMix is suggested have reached it's limit in characters and that's a SEGA CD game. I like the concept of merging AquaSlash and MarkyJester's Manic and Sonia hacks however. :D

Well if you wanna try things out yourself I'm not gonna stop you, my sheets are free to use to those who want them, not sure how others feel about it though. Thanx for the compliments.

God, I envy your spriting skills. smile.png

Also I'm just guessing, having not seen Knuckles's and the Chaotix's code, but making a Wall Jump is probably going to involve editing the touch response for the wall objects or something similar. Probably something to indicate that the character is touching a wall and should react to it other than pushing.

#124 User is offline MastaSys 

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:51 AM

• The nightmares? They never go away.
  • Wiki edits:3
I didn't notice your Amy work until now.
That's was also very amazing, specially the small details, like the heart at the end of level.
You're work amaze even more.

Congratulations, par on the best "spriters" and programmers in I ever seen this field!

#125 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (MastaSys @ Feb 6 2010, 08:51 AM)
I didn't notice your Amy work until now.
That's was also very amazing, specially the small details, like the heart at the end of level.
You're work amaze even more.

Congratulations, par on the best "spriters" and programmers in I ever seen this field!

Thanx.

I doubt, especially programming wise, all I've done since I came here is bug people to help me figure out how to code such-and-such. This hack is as much Aquaslash's, qiuu's or Hayate's as it is mine.

QUOTE (Aquaslash @ Feb 5 2010, 06:03 PM)
God, I envy your spriting skills. smile.png

Also I'm just guessing, having not seen Knuckles's and the Chaotix's code, but making a Wall Jump is probably going to involve editing the touch response for the wall objects or something similar. Probably something to indicate that the character is touching a wall and should react to it other than pushing.

I envy your programming skills after playing The S Factor.

Something tells me it would be more complex, the pushing animation is for when the character on ground, my guess is you would also likely need branches and notes for if the character is jumping at the wall at a certain speed, and to freeze controls outside jumping, etc.

#126 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:54 PM

• Wiki edits:18
QUOTE (E-122-Psi @ Feb 5 2010, 05:18 PM)
I knew it! This is great, the classic Amy from Sonic CD. So will her attacking move be to use that fancy hammer of hers?

Pretty much. I'm gonna try replicating her Sonic Advance 1 mechanics
Perhaps this is something way too farfetched to even think about it, but... Didn't somebody already take a look at the routines inside Sonic Advance and say that some of them were similar?

Perhaps it would be possible to port Amy's object, after all. Or at least her jumping/acceleration/etc stats.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 08 February 2010 - 04:32 PM

#127 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:40 PM

About the wall jump, perhaps I could get it by modifying Knuckles' climb routine from the S2+K asm (are there any alterations to Sonic 1's programming not explained in the spin dash tutorial?).

QUOTE (ICEknight @ Feb 8 2010, 03:54 PM)
QUOTE (E-122-Psi @ Feb 5 2010, 05:18 PM)

Pretty much. I'm gonna try replicating her Sonic Advance 1 mechanics
Perhaps this is something way too farfetched to even think about it, but... Didn't somebody already take a look at the routines inside Sonic Advance and say that some of them were similar?

Perhaps it would be possible to port Amy's object, after all. Or at least her jumping/acceleration/etc stats.

Seems a bit pointlessly complex really, I just need a basic estimate of her speed and accelleration/decelleration comparred to Sonic's in the same game and then I can code it according to the asm programming (eg. Sonic has $600 speed in Sonic 1 so what would that make Amy?). Most of her moves could probably be replicated via some recent tutorials too, her hammer spin and high jump could perhaps be done using a jump dash modified to go vertically for example.

EDIT: Another teaser update:

This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 10 February 2010 - 12:22 PM

#128 User is offline Enzo Aquarius 

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:38 PM

• 20% Cooler.
  • Project:Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
  • Wiki edits:519
QUOTE (E-122-Psi @ Feb 10 2010, 12:40 AM)

Her hair moves, the hammer vibrates after hitting the ground, and the motion is very fluid. Good sprite work!

#129 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:32 PM

• Project:Atomic Sonic Part II
QUOTE (E-122-Psi @ Feb 9 2010, 04:40 PM)

I just want to hug her <:3c

#130 User is offline Soselocke 

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:29 AM

• MEEP MEEP MEEP
  • Wiki edits:19
I'm a little confused... is Amy a little side project or is she related to the Sally in Sonic 1 hack?

#131 User is offline Neo 

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:48 AM

• Clackerjack
  • Project:Sonic 3 Unlocked
  • Wiki edits:1

Hammer's a bit too flat, try and round it up a bit more.

#132 User is offline Elratauru 

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:29 AM

• Oooh Shiny stuff! don't touch it >:(
  • Project:Web Developer
  • Wiki edits:132
QUOTE (Chimpo @ Feb 11 2010, 02:32 AM)
QUOTE (E-122-Psi @ Feb 9 2010, 04:40 PM)

I just want to hug her <:3c

This :3~~ ...Not just because of that sprite, but Classic amy is so...adorable and cute :3~~ like a plushie o3o~~

#133 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:00 AM

Thanx everyone.

QUOTE (Soselocke @ Feb 11 2010, 12:29 AM)
I'm a little confused... is Amy a little side project or is she related to the Sally in Sonic 1 hack?

It's a separate project. I know this probably belongs more in the Mini Projects thread but a lot of people got interested in the teasers I put here and I'm not really bothered discussing things here (especially as progress on the Sally hack is kinda slow right now).

QUOTE (Neo @ Feb 11 2010, 03:48 AM)

I noticed that too. I've refined it slightly since I made the GIF (the animation will also likely run faster in gameplay). Amy's pallette is a real ***** to work with though. Expect a lot of florescent pink enemies and sprites in the released game.

I'm not positive how Amy's hammer looked in retro games like StF though, I remember it having a rubber squeak base (like a toy mallet) but I don't know if it was rounded or more hexagonal edged like her SA1 design.
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 11 February 2010 - 11:02 AM

#134 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:29 AM

• Wiki edits:27
QUOTE (E-122-Psi @ Feb 11 2010, 04:00 PM)
Amy's pallette is a real ***** to work with though. Expect a lot of florescent pink enemies and sprites in the released game.

This is a Sonic 1 hack, right? Since pink is rather similar to purple, which is normally part of the second palette line, could you not alter the second pallette line to contain Sonic's usual blues (or a different colour)? It would mean you'd have to alter enemy graphics with the second palette in mind (meaning less red but more shades of yellow), but it'd allow you to sort of do the traditional Sonic 1 enemies thing with them either being blue or purple (well, pink in this case, I guess).

Just a suggestion, though; I have no idea what sort of thing you have in mind enemies-wise. = )
This post has been edited by McAleeCh: 11 February 2010 - 11:31 AM

#135 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:40 AM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1
QUOTE (Neo @ Feb 11 2010, 03:48 AM)

Theres not too much of her classic hammer but wasn't more of a accordion type of hammer?:
http://www.theemeraldstarpost.co.uk/Images...age.php?pos=-37

Otherwise, great sprite work!

• 11 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users