Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Quick Winter Adventures - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Sonic Quick Winter Adventures

#16 User is online Covarr 

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:16 PM

• Sentient Cash Register
  • Wiki edits:1
QUOTE (nineko @ Jan 1 2010, 11:17 AM)
QUOTE (Covarr @ Jan 1 2010, 08:00 PM)
Little issue that made the third boss harder than it needed to be. If you're on the far right of the screen, spindashing to the left doesn't work. Sonic will enter the spindashing state and use the correct animation and all that, but he doesn't move.
This happens in every (Classic) Sonic game in history, not sure why.

Really? I'd never noticed it before. I guess this is the first boss I've fought where that's really relevant.

#17 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:22 PM

• Keepin' it cool.
  • Project:Sonic 2 Random Levels, TurBoa, a few secret ones
QUOTE (Covarr @ Jan 1 2010, 09:16 PM)
Really? I'd never noticed it before. I guess this is the first boss I've fought where that's really relevant.

It's incredibly noticeable in the ARZ boss. Why must momentum take me to the right pillar, yet dodgy physics encourage me to the left?

#18 User is offline NHY 

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:28 PM

• Now with an original avatar
Hahaha, that was a nice surprise at the end.

Overall, a fun little hack. Perhaps beginners should aspire to similar short hacks to this rather than making a full game? ( Don't worry, I'm not saying your a beginner )

#19 User is offline vladikcomper 

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:36 AM

• Project:Sonic Winter Adventures
Sorry for a delay with my posting, I had problems with my Internet provider.
I'm glad that people liked my hack.

I'm not sure what it is(evil sonic maybe?).

I called it Sonic Clone.

although it should've used the dying animation after the explosions were finished.

I wanted to do dying animation but was lazy to add extra tiles in Sonic Clone's patterns or maybe had no time.
However this disappearing behind the explosions suits well, because he is robot. But the dying animation would be rather funny.

it was kinda hard to beat (or maybe I just suck)

No, even I, being its creator, knowing his AI, often die to him smile.png
He seems to be as hard as Gorbichev in Sonic Boom. It's almost impossible to him without ring loss.

Out of curiosity, the snow, is every snowflake a single object or are there multiple ones one or weren't you using objects at all?

Each snowflake is a single object. But I have an idea how to put them into one object, but I'm not sure if it works.

#20 User is offline PC2 

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

• GenMobile > 3DS
  • Project:Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
  • Wiki edits:422
Played through today. This was actually quite fun. I'd love to see it made into a full-blown hack. thumbsup.png It would be great to see some good custom level design.

#21 User is offline ShadowsofYesterday 

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:55 PM

• I have no idea what's going on.
  • Project:Sonic and the Magic Hat
The difficulty of that final boss is sadistic. Mostly because, instead of bouncing off him when you hit him, you fall into him and it instantly damages you (because he auto-attacks every time he's hit). The only safe way to damage him is to spindash through him and then jump when he comes back at you. Jump dashing was working, but then it randomly bounced me back in the direction I came from once and caused me to get hit by his attack. At least when you hit Silver Sonic in Sonic 2, he bounced you to the other side of the screen (unless you were one of those cool people who just sat under him while he was descending and charged up a spindash) and didn't INSTANTLY counter attack before you could even land. Thing is, even if you were one of those people who just bounced up and down on his head... well, that was possible with him. It's not with this boss, because you just fall into him.

It also seems like you made it so that you can only pick your rings back up once you stop flashing, which allows the rings to fall off-screen before I can pick them back up almost every time. Then again, I might just be imagining things.

Also, the homing attack feels a bit wonky. At times, it won't home in on things that are right in front of Sonic (which caused me to jump dash into spike pits and whatnot numerous times), whereas at other times, it will actually home in on things that are BEHIND Sonic, while I'm holding forward. One time, there was a motobug behind me and a buzzbomber in front of me. The buzzbomber was significantly closer to me, and I jumped just inches from its face before using the homing attack... and it homed on the motobug. Wut?

Well, for a Christmas quicky, it's good, but otherwise it would need a lot of work.

#22 User is offline vladikcomper 

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:57 AM

QUOTE (ShadowsofYesterday @ Jan 5 2010, 12:55 AM)
The difficulty of that final boss is sadistic. Mostly because, instead of bouncing off him when you hit him, you fall into him and it instantly damages you (because he auto-attacks every time he's hit). The only safe way to damage him is to spindash through him and then jump when he comes back at you. Jump dashing was working, but then it randomly bounced me back in the direction I came from once and caused me to get hit by his attack. At least when you hit Silver Sonic in Sonic 2, he bounced you to the other side of the screen (unless you were one of those cool people who just sat under him while he was descending and charged up a spindash) and didn't INSTANTLY counter attack before you could even land. Thing is, even if you were one of those people who just bounced up and down on his head... well, that was possible with him. It's not with this boss, because you just fall into him.

I knew the boss is too hardcore from the beginning, but that was the best I could do for such short time. Disabling his counterattacks would make him boring, the game would be less interesting.
BTW this is my first custom boss. =)

QUOTE (ShadowsofYesterday @ Jan 5 2010, 12:55 AM)
It also seems like you made it so that you can only pick your rings back up once you stop flashing, which allows the rings to fall off-screen before I can pick them back up almost every time.

The same was in original Sonic games, I didn't make it.
Also, you can't pick up rings for a few seconds after Sonic was hurt, but not during the whole flashing time.

Also, the homing attack feels a bit wonky. At times, it won't home in on things that are right in front of Sonic (which caused me to jump dash into spike pits and whatnot numerous times), whereas at other times, it will actually home in on things that are BEHIND Sonic, while I'm holding forward. One time, there was a motobug behind me and a buzzbomber in front of me. The buzzbomber was significantly closer to me, and I jumped just inches from its face before using the homing attack... and it homed on the motobug. Wut?

Yeah, my Homing Attack is buggy. Sometimes it targets wrongly. I'm going to redo it.
This post has been edited by vladikcomper: 06 January 2010 - 06:59 AM

#23 User is offline Hayate 

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:23 PM

• Wiki edits:70
QUOTE (ShadowsofYesterday @ Jan 4 2010, 09:55 PM)
It also seems like you made it so that you can only pick your rings back up once you stop flashing, which allows the rings to fall off-screen before I can pick them back up almost every time. Then again, I might just be imagining things.

IIRC, the original Sonic 1 requires you to wait 16 frames after you land after getting hit before you can pick up rings again. For comparison, you get 120 frames (I.e. two seconds) of temporary invulnerability (flashing) time after landing.

#24 User is offline ShadowsofYesterday 

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:05 AM

• I have no idea what's going on.
  • Project:Sonic and the Magic Hat
QUOTE (Hayate @ Jan 6 2010, 01:23 PM)
QUOTE (ShadowsofYesterday @ Jan 4 2010, 09:55 PM)

IIRC, the original Sonic 1 requires you to wait 16 frames after you land after getting hit before you can pick up rings again. For comparison, you get 120 frames (I.e. two seconds) of temporary invulnerability (flashing) time after landing.

Meaning in the original you can pick your rings back up long before you stop flashing.

EDIT: Never mind, I was imagining things.
This post has been edited by ShadowsofYesterday: 07 January 2010 - 01:06 AM

#25 User is offline vladikcomper 

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:03 AM

I wasn't sure if I should show this or not, but I've finally decided.

The work I'm going to show is currently in Russian (yeah, I've trasnlated my hack to Russian), that's why I wasn't sure about this. Unfortunately, I can't translate it to English until all the work about hack is done.

So, I've made a new video of upcoming Sonic Quick Winter Adventures 2. I'm so glad I finally can show all the features I've been working on for several months.

Firstly, I've made some new bosses for the hack. Evil Sonic was completely remade from the ground up, you'll also see an uncompleted mini-boss in MZ.

Secondly, the music. I've finally started learning music hacking =P (I hadn't time to do it for a long time)
SQWA now uses new jman's DAC-driver, with more samples added. Some samples, like Kick and Snare, were replaced, that's notable when listening to music. Also, there are some new music ports in the hack. I'd like to thank Jet (he's not on the forums though) for main menu theme which is music port from Megaman: The Wily Wars. Other new songs are mine, they're generally XM2SMPS ports featuring Sonic Advance music.

You'll see the rest of new features when watch the video, so... enjoy! ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDHSAh4BgVE

P.S.: I was making this post in a hurry, so there can be lots of grammar mistakes. =P

#26 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:31 AM

• 3rd top wiki contributor
  • Wiki edits:14,865
Not a bad little hack. The end suprise was amusing.

#27 User is offline nineko 

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:53 AM

• I am the Holy Cat
  • Project:I... don't even know anymore :U
  • Wiki edits:5,251
I like what I see, especially the level select menu.
However please note that the sound effect for all the rings you collect is panned to the left instead of alternating between left and right, you somehow broke it, unless it's intentional.

#28 User is offline vladikcomper 

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE (nineko @ Oct 1 2010, 08:53 PM)
However please note that the sound effect for all the rings you collect is panned to the left instead of alternating between left and right, you somehow broke it, unless it's intentional.

That's not intentional. I've probably broken something after some experiments with the sound driver. I'll attempt to fix it.

#29 User is offline Sonicjosh 

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:13 PM

• Too lazy to learn ASM since '06
  • Wiki edits:3
The surprise was quite hard, the pallets sometimes made it hard to tell what's what, and I question the music choice.

#30 User is offline Espyo 

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:53 AM

• Project:A rhythm game - PK Rhythm (https://sourceforge.net/projects/pkrhythm/)
  • Wiki edits:22
It was a fun little hack. Just goes to show that one doesn't need to do a ton of work to get a good thing. Of course, it's short, and there are some flaws here and there, but it was enjoyable. During the Sonic Clone fight, I died once, and accidentally found a good strategy. Essentially, go to the left part of the screen, and face the clone. When he is coming towards you and is near the middle of the screen, jump dash on him. He'll spindash to the left and then to the right, giving you enough time to jump over him, jump dash to the left, and repeat.

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users