don't click here

Who wants clearer Sonic 2 Nick Arcade videos?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by celebi23, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celebi23

celebi23

I'm a member of classicnickshows.info and, awhile back, someone posted clearer videos. They're much better quality videos. The links are below. I just used them so, the definitely still work

Nick Arcade - 2x01: Nickelodeon Arcade - Elizabeth and Joe vs. Melissa and Jason (Clarissa Explains it All Special) [Baliztik].avi
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3PUOZV4R

Nick Arcade - 2x02: Nickelodeon Arcade - Gina and Derek vs. Quincey and Robert [Baliztik].avi
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CSYH4DOZ

If you're a member of that site, here's the topic link: http://www.classicnickshows.info/viewtopic.php?id=2905

Might anyone have the air dates for these episodes? I've been able to find out that 2x03 aired on 4/28/92. So, if it was shown every week, 2x01 aired on 4/14/92 & 2x02 on 4/21/92. That's just a guess on my part though.

Hope these videos are useful for someone

2. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    This should be quite a help.

Thanks a bunch. =D

3. celebi23

celebi23

Not a problem. Glad to help out the community any way that I can. Maybe this will help prove that the Sonic 2 proto (dumped by drx in 2006) IS the Nick Arcade proto (unless it was already proved to be that prototype then, well, I missed that clarification).

edit: Oh, during my searches, I came across this site: http://www.micontv.com/karimm/nickelod.htm It's the website of the graphic designer who did almost all of the graphic work for that show (and some other Nickelodeon projects). He's even got some pieces of Mikey artwork on there :v:

4. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Was it really that long ago? God damn it, I feel old. :v:

5. celebi23

celebi23

Yep
    http://www.hidden-palace.org/?news/c/9

I can't believe it either. Heck, I remember seeing Sonic 2 on Nick Arcade & that prompted me to annoy my parents until they bought it for me :rolleyes:

6. I'm trying to remember, were there ever any other games as notable as Sonic 2 played on Nick Arcade?

7. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Ha, this is great, especially the dates. Downloading.

Edit: Also, did you check to see if Sonic 2 was on episode 2x03?

8. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    These are fabulous. Thanks so much for pointing them out!

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Like Sonic 1 notable, or like R-Type notable?

Also, just to clarfiy, wasn't the only reason that one called the "Nick Arcade" prototype not because it was acquired from someone involved with the show but because it just looked like it?

10. celebi23

celebi23

Yep, I checked 2x03. It looks like Sonic 2 was only used in episodes 2x01 & 2x02. I'm glad that people are finding this useful :)

11. It didn't just look like it - it sounded and played like it, to the extent that on "Green Hill" Tails is disabled. It's also the one build out of all the current ones that most resembles how it appeared on Nick Arcade, obviously.

While we don't have much more to suggest -exactly- what build Nick Arcade used, it was at the very least in the same builddate range as the prototype called the "Nick Arcade" proto.

12. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Fun fact: If you copy those links and change "megaupload" to "megavideo" in the url, they actually play in a nice flash based stream.

13. celebi23

celebi23

Huh, didn't know that. Pretty cool :)

14. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Plus this is the only time the demos were recorded until final (or beta 8, I forget), and they stayed the same way (byte for byte) until they were changed for the retail release. Which is actually hilarious if you play them e.g. in the Wai alpha.

There's also that hologram thingy. I have around 1500 prototypes and none of them except this one has a hologram, 90% of them simply have handwritten labels (or no labels at all), some have printed labels but that's it.

All this circumstantial evidence points toward it being made especially for the show, though it doesn't prove it beyond doubt. I've been working to get some kind of proof for a while, I'll likely post about it if I get it.

15. celebi23

celebi23

Yeah, that hologram label always seemed, to me anyways, to be a bit much for a "normal" prototype, ie., a "normal" preview/developer's copy. Seemed a lot was put into the "presentation" of it. Since were on the topic of the cart's label, here's something I've been working on. I've been trying to recreate the label (using a Genesis cart template from DeviantArt) to use on a Genesis cart icon for my laptop. It's still a WIP. Still trying to fix that top part (with the red strip on it). drx, might you have any other pics of the cart (besides the ones hosted on the <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_(Nick_Arcade_prototype)" target="_blank">article</a>?)

[​IMG]

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It wouldn't surprise me if Sega had toyed with the use of "hologram" labels on the basis that "Nintendo's carts don't have them", "testing" the labels at the same time the prototypes were being playtested

it's all crazy marketing strategies I guess. They probably dropped the idea because of production costs or because it looks a bit tacky.

17. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    All I wanna know is, why did they get total morons playing that?

I mean, if you played the first one (and it should've been popular enough), you'd have an idea what to do in that build, even if the stage was something different.

18. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Melissa Joan Hart, my four-year-old nephew plays better than you.

19. Devann

Devann

Hm. I remember watching this episode on Nick GaS.
    Also, I also have an account on Classic Nick Shows.
    Heh, To be honest, I was gonna post this. You beat me to it though
    Nice work!

20. celebi23

celebi23

Exactly. I mean, that playable level level was pretty much an extension of Sonic 1. Wasn't not slowing down, on the loops, a huge part of Sonic 1? Man, even when I got Sonic 2 (was around 6) I was better at it then the contestants they had on the show :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.