don't click here

Sonic Retro: Hackers of...Leapster?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    So, Overlord and I were talking after he bought the <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic X (Leapster game)" target="_blank" style="background: url(http://info.sonicretro.org/images/5/50/Reticon.png) right no-repeat; padding-right: 20px; border-bottom: 1px dotted #3366BB; color: #3366BB; cursor:pointer; text-decoration:none;" class="wiki">Sonic X (Leapster game)</a> cartridge to do scans for it.

It turns out that for the Leapster system, "all of the software content for the original Leapster was created with Macromedia Flash MX 2004; the device runs an embedded Adobe (formerly Macromedia) Flash player."

It ALSO turns out that "The Leapster 2 is essentially the Leapster with an added USB port and SD card slot, the ability to log data on gameplay, such as what has been learned by the user or art created by the user, and to play a downloaded full game or short game."

This, to me, strongly implies that there might be a way to rip the contents of a Leapster cart with the USB and SD connection. It turns out Leapster 2s are relatively cheap on eBay (I'm lined up to get one now) and I would be interested in shipping one + a Sonic X cart to anyone who can figure out how to get these files off the cart. It also seems that the system would be a neat little thing to have homebrew on, but there seems to be no research in this so far.

Anyone interested?

2. I'm still waiting for them Sega Pico hackers, myself. Heck, we don't even have all the Sonic/Tails Games GoodPico'd or whatever.

3. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I don't have the tech to dump this myself, but count me interested in seeing it dumped.

I'm particularly interested in seeing the sprite sheets. Ever since I saw the video of it, I was intrigued by them, as they are a combination of Advance style sprites and S3&K style ones. I'm sure the game itself is balls, but from a technical standpoint it would be great to see the method Sega used to accomplish the fusion of styles.

4. Bobinator

Bobinator

My thoughts on your posting Member
    Obviously, we need to find the hidden secrets of Sonic's Schoolhouse. I remember buying that game way back. Willingly. :( Didn't somebody find sprites of this anthropomorphic clock man that they used before they got the license to Sonic?

5. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Oh my goodness you're right.

I could pick up once for my niece. I don't have any tools to dump it though.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wait what.

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    What about the sonic the hedgehog game for the DIDJ leapfrog system can that one be hacked into? I'm rather interested in their sprites as well.

EDIT: Interesting, seems that through a random google search I have found a level layout of level 3/Sandopolis from leapster itself:
    http://www.leapfrog.com/etc/medialib/leapf...mage.direct.gif

Not only that, but I found this:
    http://www.leapfrog.com/en/home/support/pr...pages/didj.html
    maybe it can be of some help?

Regardless, heres the game hints forum I found this a rather interesting read.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Sonic the Hedgehog Game: Hints for navigating Sandopolis/Level 3 (JPG))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sonic the Hedgehog Game: Hints for navigating Sandopolis/Level 3 (JPG))</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Known trouble spot.[/QUOTE]Intriguing. Could be that the game engine has some problems in those places.

Anyway, I didn't know there were actual Sonic 2/3/&K levels in that didj thing.

9. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    The guy that makes the GoodTools has all the Pico games dumped, but refuses to release them :(

As for dumping the game, if I had the time and the money to study the innards of the Leapster 2 in an effort to make a firmware hack, I would definately do it.

10. I question that. Last I heard from him he said the JP Pico games were too expensive to obtain ( and seeing how much I paid for 3 games, I have to agree there.)

There are potentially HUNDREDS of JP Pico games, and there's also Korean-region Pico games! I SERIOUSLY doubt he's progressed that much in such a short time since the original GoodPico announcements.

11. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Intriguing. Could be that the game engine has some problems in those places.

Anyway, I didn't know there were actual Sonic 2/3/&K levels in that didj thing.
    [/QUOTE]

Yeah seems other then the fact that its a LOL LEARNING GAME!! It functions just as close as a normal sonic game.

the ONLY example of how this game works is the very blurry, grainy, shaky CAM footage of it being played:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CirL4c4hrqk
    Sorry ill keep looking for better videos but thats it so far.

12. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    Shadow Hog. He even posted the video link at Sonic Retro recently.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yeah seems other then the fact that its a LOL LEARNING GAME!! It functions just as close as a normal sonic game.

the ONLY example of how this game works is the very blurry, grainy, shaky CAM footage of it being played:
    [/QUOTE]
    Besides the spelling games it looks like it could be one of the better Sonic games in recent memory... and it's on a learning machine D:

14. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    I'd like to see it ripped. I really want the sprites from the Didj one, because some of the Sonic 3 sprites are edited to make Sonic do different things, like moonwalking, using a yo-yo, etc...

15. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I found the sprites pretty interesting, even though they're just edits of S3 and Advance sprites. Regardless, I want to see them ripped too.

16. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie

[/QUOTE]

From what can be seen, this is some interesting gameplay. It even looks a little fun! I think this game could also be beneficial for some adults I know ;) I love the take on the S3&K music. I never would have thought of Mushroom Hill as title screen and super shoes music though.

I also found this commercial which I haven't seen before...

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I want a rip of that Sonic 3 thumbs up pose. It actually looks like a well done sprite and a bit better than the finger waving in Sonic 3

18. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Wow Leapster is now making me happier than Sega recently has...

19. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
  20. Alan

Alan

There is a couple of these on eBay at moment, cartridge based so would have thought its just flash memory on the cart. Should be easy to dump the contents. Is it one of you guys bidding on #280438175507? If so ill get a different one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.