don't click here

Sonic 1 With Fries

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Afti, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Well, it was never really gone, but...

Sonic 1 With Fries:

[​IMG]

Team:

Afti
    Oerg866
    Xeric

Plot:

Robotnik is an asshole. He stole the sacred Chaos Fries, cooked in Chaos Emerald-infused oils...

With them, he has build an army of robots, and his flying fortress, Chrome Castle Zone...

If you can acquire the Chaos Emeralds, you may be able to neutralize the Chaos Fries...

Features
    :

Two characters- Sonic and Ray! Use Sonic's speed to fling yourself around levels, or, if you're a more methodical type, use the slower Ray's teleport to bypass barriers and gaps, finding shortcuts through the Zone!

Six unique Zones!

Physics tweaks!

Two new Monitors- the Low-Grav Shield and the Emerald! The Low-Grav Shield massively increases your jump height if you have it, while seven Emerald monitors are hidden throughout the game! Collect all seven, lest Dr. Robotnik get his hands on them!

Original music by Oerg866!

Brutal difficulty!

Screenshots:

Sunset Turnpike:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Blazing Citadel:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Septic Slide:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Paradise Palace:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Chrome Castle:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Inner Sanctum:

lol no

Videos
    :

Sunset Turnpike Acts 1/2 - Ray

Comments: This is just a video of Ray running through the two normal acts of Sunset Turnpike. It's mainly just to show off Oerg's music and the less-shitty background.

2. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Could you upload that video to Youtube?

3. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
  4. I love it :thumbsup:

5. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    I am surprised at how well the Sonic the Fighters level clear syncs with the game.

The level art is cool, though your backgrounds could do with a little work. Maybe add a little in there but not going overboard with it?

6. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Yeah what daleksam said, also the sonic the fighters music is kinda quiet, think you can turn it up?. Also it would be better if ray flew or glide like knuckles rather than a jump dash/double jump.

7. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    aw man I was expecting a release

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Why does Ray keep flashing like he's been hit every time he lands?

9. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Music could be worked on, although I like original imports I don't want to hear the same voices over and over again. :O

10. Fu =P

And yeah it's not the best song in the world but it fits the purpos

11. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Rays animation is terrible :psyduck:

Hopefully you'll fix the frames soon

12. ddrmaxromance

ddrmaxromance

Actually, I liked the song. It sounds like a sound I composed a long time ago with the same chord progressions and everything. lol. The drums, although the same from Sonic, have a really good beat that's memorable.

I'm not quite sure about the color scheme though with the orange how it blends in with the bright blue/grey in the background. Because Ray is yellow and his animation flashes when injured or whatever, I kinda got lost mentally. lol. This may be because of YouTube's compression or the blurry video though. Great job! :)

13. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Teleport creates temporary invulnerability. I intend to shorten the duration to make it harder to abuse.

Ray doesn't blend in too badly in actual gameplay. The video just sucks.

Yeah, I'll make the STF level clear louder.

I like the teleport. You'd be surprised at how useful going through thin walls can be.

Maybe I could add some scaffolding and antennae to the buildings in the background?

I rather like the music; besides, you WON'T hear the same voices everywhere.

14. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Buried under SSRG Somewhere Tech Member
    Academy City
    SSRG, world domination, a billion and one research projects...
    Where to start with this...

The backgrounds blend way too much with the foreground on some Zones. It's rather problematic to have to search for the flor because it's in the same design as the background. Chrome Castle, Blazing Citadel, and Sunset Turnpike all have this issue (although Sunset Turnpike looks slightly better in the video). Blending foreground with background is an awful idea that just frustrates the player by making him/her have to stop to actually find where they're going. It breaks game flow severely.

Music. How I wish I could forget. Oerg, you used the same damn chord progression for the level music and speed-up music. That's pretty lame. The voicing is rather lame as well. Almost no diversity. Really, for such a person as you who holds himself as better than most everyone with moduled music, that music is utter crap and is lazy.

Now for what could be salvaged from the mess. Septic Sewer is probably the best-looking Zone out of all of them. It has a couple of rough spots, but is mainly quite well done. The Ray sprites, although it's got some mapping issues, are pretty decent-looking.

All in all, there's lots of issues. If there's stuff in the works that could make this loads better, then it would have been much better to wait before showing this off. I've heard quite a lot about what you can do, Afti, and this is so far not a very good example of your abilities. The good seems to be engulfed and smudged by the bad. As for Oerg, the music is weak and a disappointment considering how high you hold yourself with module skills. Show that you can actually write good music instead of crap variations of the same chord progression. Altogether, this is a hack that has potential, but is currently not an impressive product. This probably should not have been revealed yet.

15. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    I'm confused as to how the foreground and the background blend- they use similar colors, but the design is completely different. I've not encountered difficulty in distinguishing them, and would like a bit more detail on which tiles are problematic.

Ray's mappings are to be fixed; in particular, his run animation is rather jerky right now.

Although, one question:

How the fuck have you heard a lot about what I can do? I'm not particularly talented, and I don't profess myself to be.

I released BECAUSE there were flaws- filter it past the hivemind to identify things I couldn't.

16. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Iron Sonic is right: STZ, BCZ and CCZ art does blend between the layers. The background buildings with the falling platforms in STZ, the background horizontal bar thing in BCZ with the actual ground, and the bright dots with pretty much all of the foregorund in CCZ. My suggestions are: for CCZ, just make the dots darker, for BCZ get rid of the bar, and for STZ make the sides of the buildings darker or give them color and make the windows a slightly darker blue to match.

Septic Slide is pretty, though, ironically enough.

And that music is beautiful.

17. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    The human eye cares not for design. It cares for things that are different, that stand out. People are going to have a harder time seeing things that are similarly coloured as opposed to similarly patterned - an excellent example of this would be the clouds in SMB1 - which are actually the same as the bushes... but nobody really noticed that! However, as the art here is all in similar colours - not to mention that none of it stands out - it's more like a clusterfuck of the same colour to your eyes. To be blunt, your art looks horrible - the original art lacks proper shading and your use of the original art is a... well, a desecration. In addition, the palettes make my eyes burn and twinge.
    The layouts don't look very good, to be honest. Similarly, the music seems unfitting for the zone - at least in that video. To be honest, most of Oerg's compositions aren't the sort you'd put in a game - they just lack something.

18. That's not my fault. Afti has not altered the PCM sample-set in his hack so I'm limited to standard Sonic 1 stuff. If I could, I would totally want to shit the fuck out of that poor PCM channel =P

I lol'd, IronSonic. Your post contains more false "facts" than a speech from Adolf Hitler.

1. The chord progression is very different. If you look at the original XM files, you will find out.

2. The voicing is completely custom, and more effort was put into it than you would imagine as every voice except the lead is custom.

Also, it's fucking INSTRUMENTS, not VOICES. Get your facts right.

3. I don't hold myself better than most everyone with moduled music. It is my hobby and I'm certainly worse than 60% of the entire #mod_shrine or #modulez channel on EsperNet.

4. If you want to call it utter crap and lazy, you might want to review what kind of effort you have to put on composing music for a hack. The original songs contain a lot of custom PCM samples, but after that Afti told me that he can't add any, so I had to strip them.

== to guys who are not called IronSonic ==
    Apart from that, thanks for the criticism about the music, it really helps :)

19. Maxd

Maxd

Alabama
    Mixin'
    As a fellow musician, I guess I should make my voice be heard. Your music is interesting, bright, and very upbeat. Your instruments, voices whatever, are lackluster compared to pre-made ones. I admire your intrepid showcase of such songs and voices so early in development. Perhaps people dislike them because they could be polished a little more? Not everything has to be a PCM sample, perhaps your could use some not-so-well known DAC stuff from other games?

Your song in act 1 and the speed up shoes: they are very similar. If you could PM me an XM file, I might be able to vouch that they are not the same chord progression. The progression of the chords in the first level and the speed shoes is: I vii(o) ii(o) III is very light for a minor key (I'm assuming you know what I'm talking about, the Aeolian mode) and I suggest you do something to make the chords inversed, perhaps have the voices each have a part of the melody. Just make it a little more rich with attention.

Also, your voices are unique, but they do not fit the feel for the first act, a city with such an orange background (polluted) should have something more modal, more intense, like the air was bad, or it's freaking hot on top of the buildings. You were onto something with the minor key, if that's what you intended.

Another thing about your music: it lacks a static motif. A mofit (music theory term) is the smallest identifiable musical idea, something like a riff or tag on the end of a phrase. Almost any great song you hear has a motif. Your music has none, a simple sweet melody, but there is no theme involving a sort of trademark jingle, rhythm, diddle, solo, whatever. My suggestion is that you read into a book of music theory, and verse yourself in it. Listen to lots of genres, real instruments, study their timbre, their range, and any other unique things, or trademarking characteristics. Look at Sonic 3 and Knuckles: the first Act of Angel Island Zone right here has a recurring trilly, exotic sound, complete with a motif, right before the melody starts. If you want to know how to theme music, think about things unique to the area you are writing. Since the setting is city, I advise that you should look into some guitar/sine sort of stuff, saxophone sort sounds, and choose a more bluesy scale if you really want to address the theme.

You are ambitious, and I praise you for that, Oerg. But do not call names before asking for "how may I improve?"

I wish you good luck, and I want to hear some great music from you, because I like some of your other stuff. You just have a long way to go until it's wholly refined.

20. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Any reason you can't do it for him? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.