Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic X-treme Textures and Defs - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Sonic X-treme Textures and Defs General Discussion & Hacking

#61 User is offline GeneHF 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:11 PM

• Classier than you'll ever be.
  • Project:オノマトペ大臣
  • Wiki edits:381
QUOTE (Lobotomy @ Dec 7 2009, 10:06 PM)
QUOTE (Cooljerk @ Dec 7 2009, 07:01 PM)
I completely agree. Only a Sonic 1 beta could top this IMO.

What about a playable demo?

I enjoyed watching this one more.

#62 User is offline Lobotomy 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:14 PM

• Oh, that hit single "Summertime Loving, Loving in the Summer (Time)"?
  • Project:Fixing Generations FOREVER, Project: In Silico, Unleashed PC Beautification.
  • Wiki edits:94
QUOTE (GeneHF @ Dec 7 2009, 07:11 PM)

Why did the bad men at SEGA cancel this game? ;_;

#63 User is offline Mad Echidna 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:21 PM

• Gone
  • Wiki edits:4
QUOTE (Lobotomy @ Dec 7 2009, 07:14 PM)

Haven't you ever read the interviews? Long story short, Ofer worked so hard he nearly died so the project manager pulled the plug since we was the only engine dev left.

I never realized the genius of the fisheye lense until I had a chance to see the levels without it. These boring looking, lego like levels take on such an incredible life and depth with that lense!

#64 User is offline Shadow Hog 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:34 PM

• Wiki edits:10
Yeah, I wish I knew how the hell one programmed one of those, if only to try and get a game out there that actually uses it.

Until then, there's Fisheye Quake.

#65 User is offline S1impikenz 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:37 PM

• Project:Sonic 1 layout hack
I don't know if a lot of you have noticed, but, if you look at the modification dates on the individual files in the SONICBOOM/DEF folder you'll notice that whoever was working on this game recently worked on the GALAXY1.DEF and TEST_05C.DEF levels in 2006, approximately 9 years after the last modification date, and thus from its cancellation. I find this pretty interesting.

#66 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:41 PM

• Powered by Crytek. Maximum Game.
  • Wiki edits:9
QUOTE (S1impikenz @ Dec 7 2009, 07:37 PM)
I don't know if a lot of you have noticed, but, if you look at the modification dates on the individual files in the SONICBOOM/DEF folder you'll notice that whoever was working on this game recently worked on the GALAXY1.DEF and TEST_05C.DEF levels in 2006, approximately 9 years after the last modification date, and thus from its cancellation. I find this pretty interesting.

I think this was explained earlier in the thread:

QUOTE (Kiroziki @ Dec 6 2009, 01:16 PM)
Wow, it has taken someone this long to finally release these files, ok time for a kinda history lesson/theory because I can't remember what the story was behind these files. I think the reason these files were modified three years ago was because when Chris was making the SXC (Sonic X-treme Compendium) I think he was going to release this files along side the other images of the levels he released as well, but guess what Ofer Alon stepped in once more.

But again. thank you for this release.

#67 User is offline Neko Kit Su 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:51 PM

• I've never had a title, and I never will!
  • Project:Freelance
  • Wiki edits:10
I am in awe. Can we, maybe, get a playable game off this? =3

#68 User is offline GeneHF 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:59 PM

• Classier than you'll ever be.
  • Project:オノマトペ大臣
  • Wiki edits:381
I doubt we'll get anything from Chris Senn than a hearty middle finger, but if one of you guys are feeling ambitious enough, you can certainly build an engine and use this material.

At least until Ofer comes running at you throwing hammers like a Hammer Bros. on crack.

#69 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE (GeneHF @ Dec 7 2009, 07:59 PM)
I doubt we'll get anything from Chris Senn than a hearty middle finger, but if one of you guys are feeling ambitious enough, you can certainly build an engine and use this material.

At least until Ofer comes running at you throwing hammers like a Hammer Bros. on crack.

Senn at one point had his own Sonic Xtreme fan project... project S, wasn't it? Why would he be pissed?

#70 User is offline RGamer2009 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:11 PM

• True Blue
  • Wiki edits:3,086
QUOTE (Cooljerk @ Dec 7 2009, 11:05 PM)

Senn at one point had his own Sonic Xtreme fan project... project S, wasn't it? Why would he be pissed?

...Erm...has, not had.
This post has been edited by RGamer2009: 07 December 2009 - 11:11 PM

#71 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (RGamer2009 @ Dec 7 2009, 08:11 PM)
QUOTE (Cooljerk @ Dec 7 2009, 11:05 PM)

...Erm...has, not had.

eng101.png

Anywho, competition is a great thing. It's not like Senn has any more legal authority to make a Sonic Xtreme fan game than us. It's not like Taxman's engine was hindered by the development of Stealth's engine. And in the end, the community wins, and because of the nature of how information is spread throughout our community, I'd wager that competing projects might actually speed along development.

#72 User is offline Syniphas 

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:18 AM

• also known as Svetlana
I remember working as a Graphic Deisgner for a short time on Project S, around 2 years ago.

Long story short, things were so messed up around that nothing was ever assigned to anyone, and I was really just waiting for something to do, until one day I found out I was kicked out of the project for not doing anything

If it was up to me to say, what I saw there was great people, tons of them, each working on a different sonic-related game. A complete locked-up mess. They were nowhere near getting a full game done.

I just hope they some day release something...

#73 User is offline Arctides 

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:38 AM

• I am a bloated bag of hate.
  • Wiki edits:2
QUOTE (Mad Echidna @ Dec 7 2009, 06:21 PM)
QUOTE (Lobotomy @ Dec 7 2009, 07:14 PM)

Haven't you ever read the interviews? Long story short, Ofer worked so hard he nearly died so the project manager pulled the plug since we was the only engine dev left.

I never realized the genius of the fisheye lense until I had a chance to see the levels without it. These boring looking, lego like levels take on such an incredible life and depth with that lense!

Actually it was Chris Senn that almost died. Ofer walked out on the project after Bernie Stolar insisted that they use the Fisheye lens for the entire game or something. According to the interviews, he was a bit of a priss with a big ego. It basically ended with Chris being the only one working on the project, up until he got a walking pneumonia and nearly killed himself. I think Sonic Cult still has the interviews up. Go re-read them for further clarification.
This post has been edited by Arctides: 08 December 2009 - 03:13 PM

#74 User is offline Granville 

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:01 AM

QUOTE (GeneHF @ Dec 7 2009, 10:59 PM)

That was pretty uncalled for...

Chris Senn is a really nice guy actually. He's very supportive and kind to everyone on his forums, always open minded and willing to lend a hand and advice to those who are trying their hand at a fangame. He's also the source of 90% of everything we currently know about Sonic Xtreme, including the textures from this package. He uploaded them from his own collection so people can use them. With him, Xtreme can live on in our thoughts. He inspires a lot of creativity and really interacts with his members.

Don't diss Chris, he's a cool dude. Far cooler and nicer than most game developers. You should give him more respect for what he's contributed to the Sonic community, none of what he HAD to do.

As for Ofer, he was planning to release his engine, until he was flamed by a league of hateful Sonic fanboys via endless emails. He then broke all ties with the community. He didn't do anything wrong either. He was hurt pretty badly by some very immature and stupid people. And to be frank, we should face the facts that if some of the Sonic community are that retarded, those people at least don't have any right to his work. Ungrateful and rude people don't deserve anything.

#75 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:05 AM