Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic R Hacking - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 20 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic R Hacking Because somebody should.

#256 User is online MainMemory 

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:19 AM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
So what you're saying is, you're going to make a harder AI mod in the future?

I'm not sure when I'll get to making another proper release, but there have been some changes in the code list, including one to disable the menu timeouts. You can grab the latest code list here.

#257 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:13 AM

• Wiki edits:27
Just chiming in to say it's great to see research being done into restoring the DirectDraw lighting effects - I still have my '98 disc of Sonic R, and the DirectDraw mode screenshot is exactly how I remember Radical City looking. Hope you're successful in figuring out a way to implement these effects in the mod loader compatible version of the game, so they can be enjoyed in conjunction with proper widescreen etc.! = )

Out of interest - how comparable is the DirectDraw mode lighting to the overall look of the original Saturn version of the game? Just curious - I'm mostly familiar with the PC version of the game, which I know has a lot of added things like the weather effects, but I'm curious if there's anything which was lost in the transition between Saturn and PC. If there is anything unique to the Saturn version, it'd be interesting to see if modders could restore it, similar to what's been going on recently with SA:DX on PC.
This post has been edited by McAleeCh: 05 December 2017 - 06:32 AM

#258 User is offline Chibisteven 

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:38 AM

• Wiki edits:11

View PostMcAleeCh, on 05 December 2017 - 06:13 AM, said:

Just chiming in to say it's great to see research being done into restoring the DirectDraw lighting effects - I still have my '98 disc of Sonic R, and the DirectDraw mode screenshot is exactly how I remember Radical City looking. Hope you're successful in figuring out a way to implement these effects in the mod loader compatible version of the game, so they can be enjoyed in conjunction with proper widescreen etc.! = )

Out of interest - how comparable is the DirectDraw mode lighting to the overall look of the original Saturn version of the game? Just curious - I'm mostly familiar with the PC version of the game, which I know has a lot of added things like the weather effects, but I'm curious if there's anything which was lost in the transition between Saturn and PC. If there is anything unique to the Saturn version, it'd be interesting to see if modders could restore it, similar to what's been going on recently with SA:DX on PC.

https://info.sonicre...onic_R#Versions

#259 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:02 AM

• A "Community Enigma"?
  • Wiki edits:51
The sample rate for sound effects is locked at mono 22050hz, huh? Or am I missing something?

I'd like to do a mod that implements sounds from the Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast, but a lot of those require stereo panning and ideally 44100hz, but upping the sample rate just makes them play at half speed in-game.

#260 User is online MainMemory 

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:53 AM

Yeah, it creates all the DirectSound buffers with the same settings, disregarding the WAV files' headers. It should be possible to fix it, but unfortunately IDA lacks a DirectSound8 type library, so I can't get a good idea of what it's actually doing.

#261 User is offline RibShark 

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:56 PM

View PostMainMemory, on 12 December 2017 - 11:53 AM, said:

Yeah, it creates all the DirectSound buffers with the same settings, disregarding the WAV files' headers. It should be possible to fix it, but unfortunately IDA lacks a DirectSound8 type library, so I can't get a good idea of what it's actually doing.

It's in the "MS Windows DDK" (wnet) type library:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by RibShark: 12 December 2017 - 12:57 PM

#262 User is online MainMemory 

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:41 PM

Sure, why not. Thanks.

#263 User is offline CheatFreak 

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:48 PM

• Everything or Nothing.
  • Project:BetterSADX Patch

View PostInvisibleUp, on 29 November 2017 - 02:01 AM, said:

According to the Krita docs, Grain Merge is where "Similar to addition, the colors of the upper layer [colors] are added to the colors [textures], and then 50% grey is subtracted." That seems really doable. I just need to figure out how to implement it now.

Any progress on this? The new lighting- or I guess well, lack thereof in the Direct3D mode of Sonic R, along with the lack of lighting in ports that are derived from this version was always something I hated about Sonic R in general, so I'd love to see this brought back in the form of a mod for the Mod Loader.
This post has been edited by CheatFreak: 05 January 2018 - 07:55 PM

#264 User is offline InvisibleUp 

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:23 AM

• Project:Sonic Redux (Sonic R hack)
So, I've been working on that menu thing I was talking about a while back, after taking a break for a month or two. Here's what I got!

GFYcat Link

With that done, having a level/character editor that just opens up the game to whatever I need it to should be super simple. Of course, it also acts as a regular menu (which would be mush prettier if I gave it more than crappy placeholder graphics) that's much faster than the standard menu.

GFYcat Link

The nice thing about how I have this programmed is that any mod installed after mine can call certain functions in my DLL via GetProcAddress(). They can then insert their own options (which can call functions or set variables) into an existing menu or replace menus entirely. They can also define a custom menu layout with it's own input and draw functions, which should allow for a lot of flexibility as far as appearance and function. In theory you could do stuff like a Sonic Rush style character select or a Sonic Adventure 2 style level select pretty easily.

I'm not quite ready to release it just yet (I still need to add a feature and polish up some stuff), but I think this will open up some cool possibilities.

#265 User is offline InvisibleUp 

Posted 26 March 2018 - 12:20 AM

• Project:Sonic Redux (Sonic R hack)
It's been two weeks so I'm going to bump this.

I've released JSONMenu, a total rewrite of the menu system. Like I mentioned in the last post, it's designed mostly so that other mods can expand upon it and provide their own menus and options. For instance, mods for various debug screens (like a character animation viewer?) or fancier time attack displays or whatever can just hook into this and get integrated into the game's menus. More importantly, though, I can launch the game into any state I want from the command line, which will make development a LOT easier.

For a fun demonstration of what this can do if I actually put in the effort to make something pretty, I've recreated the Sonic Rush intro (sort of, I cut a few corners) as a new title screen for Sonic R. In theory I could also render characters or track parts or rotating textures or whatever to the screen as well, but I haven't tried that yet.

From here, the plan is to take the various font and graphics functions from that and make them their own library, some sort of "libcore" if you will. This "libcore" should track and manage all the textures, sound effects, characters, tracks, etc. so that any mod can add to and read from the list and everything turns out relatively nice and easy. I really want to take my time making sure I got the plumbing down solid before I do anything crazy, you know?

(Oh, and before I forget, @CheatFreak: I got stuck on the lighting thing because I for the life of me can't find the existing color blending code. I'd have to sit down and trace where all the color data goes from the track file to memory to the screen, which I suppose would be easy enough to do...)

So, your thoughts?

#266 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:10 AM

• Wiki edits:27
Finally had the chance to check this out - nice to be able to play the game in widescreen and at higher resolutions, even if it does break some of the menu/logo screens a little at the moment! It's been a great excuse to bust out Sonic R again after all this time - currently going through grabbing all the Emeralds again before trying to unlock the remaining characters. = )

One question - having converted my version to the '04 version using the patch from earlier in this thread, and playing with the ADX music mod through the Mod Loader, I've noticed some of the tracks (such as the stage music/intro fanfare) seem to have a few seconds' delay before they start playing. I don't remember this being the case with the original '98 PC version, and from looking at videos it doesn't seem to be the case in the Saturn version either - however, from videos it does seem to be the case in the Gamecube version. Was this a change made for the 2004 versions of the game, and if so is it possible to revert it to the original '98 PC/Saturn behaviour? Feels really weird having to wait a few seconds for the music to kick in after starting a race rather than it playing pretty much as soon as you can start moving - ditto for having the opening fanfare still playing during the "READY? SET? GO!" announcement.
This post has been edited by McAleeCh: 26 March 2018 - 05:11 AM

#267 User is offline Strife 

Posted 26 March 2018 - 02:10 PM

• Project:Freedom Planet 2
That JSONMenu is excellent stuff. Can it support displaying 3D models such as, for example, the racers in a custom character select screen? Also, does this pave the way for custom HUDs during gameplay?

#268 User is offline Chibisteven 

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:11 PM

• Wiki edits:11

View PostMcAleeCh, on 26 March 2018 - 04:10 AM, said:

One question - having converted my version to the '04 version using the patch from earlier in this thread, and playing with the ADX music mod through the Mod Loader, I've noticed some of the tracks (such as the stage music/intro fanfare) seem to have a few seconds' delay before they start playing. I don't remember this being the case with the original '98 PC version, and from looking at videos it doesn't seem to be the case in the Saturn version either - however, from videos it does seem to be the case in the Gamecube version. Was this a change made for the 2004 versions of the game, and if so is it possible to revert it to the original '98 PC/Saturn behaviour? Feels really weird having to wait a few seconds for the music to kick in after starting a race rather than it playing pretty much as soon as you can start moving - ditto for having the opening fanfare still playing during the "READY? SET? GO!" announcement.

I think it was changed because of the hang it tends to produce is a bit long making one think their PC possibly froze as it locates the next track.

#269 User is offline Xinus 

Posted 24 August 2018 - 04:36 PM

Soo. I've been working on a thing.

Posted Image
With InvisibleUp help i hope i will be able to get those in game. right now I'm getting some... questionable results..
Posted Image

#270 User is offline XRick 

Posted 25 August 2018 - 11:33 AM

• Wiki edits:2
I'm not sure if I can talk about it, Mods are free to delete this post if that's the case.

I've been thinking about this since yesterday...
Is there a chance that GameHut's latest Sonic R video could be taken as a showcase of the prototype models in a way potentially interested modders could use the video as a manual of sorts on how to remodel the final models into their "original" version?
This post has been edited by XRick: 25 August 2018 - 11:33 AM

• 20 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users