Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: SADX/SA1 Hacking/Modding - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 145 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

SADX/SA1 Hacking/Modding Now with more research and development!

#1816 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339

View PostE-122-Psi, on 10 February 2012 - 07:53 PM, said:

What other player gimmicks can be put in exactly? Can ZERO, the E-Series bosses or even Froggy be put in?

The latter would be ideal for a gag hack. Big fishing in all eleven levels. :v:

Hmm, for separate level slots, does Sand Hill have multiple character slots? I suppose it may have potential to be edited into a full level for someone other than Sonic/Tails, depending on how compatable it's level construction is.

All three of those are objects that can be placed in any level. However I think the E-Series bosses are programmed to go to the location that they're fought at in the original levels.

Sand Hill doesn't have any other segments, so the most you could do is different object layouts and start positions per character.
This post has been edited by MainMemory: 10 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

#1817 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

• Wiki edits:41

View PostMainMemory, on 10 February 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

View PostE-122-Psi, on 10 February 2012 - 07:53 PM, said:

What other player gimmicks can be put in exactly? Can ZERO, the E-Series bosses or even Froggy be put in?

The latter would be ideal for a gag hack. Big fishing in all eleven levels. :v:

Hmm, for separate level slots, does Sand Hill have multiple character slots? I suppose it may have potential to be edited into a full level for someone other than Sonic/Tails, depending on how compatable it's level construction is.

All three of those are objects that can be placed in any level. However I think the E-Series bosses are programmed to go to the location that they're fought at in the original levels.

Sand Hill doesn't have any other segments, so the most you could do is different object layouts and start positions per character.

Hmm, is it possible to edit water into levels, along with fish? If so, imagine the possibilities. :v:

Ah, I see, shame, would be neat to make a full desert level out of it's textures and objects, especially since it was apparently planned at some point.

#1818 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

You can make any part of the level's geometry behave as water, but generally the visible part is an object specific to each level.

#1819 User is offline Turbohog 

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

• Wiki edits:22
I've got a quick question myself. I imported Green Hill's landtable from SA2 into Emerald Coast a while back using your level extractor, and I successfully changed the textures for the objects and background, but I still can't seem to figure out the textures for the actual level. All of the land itself is invisible when I play it, but it's all perfectly visible in SAMDL and SADXLVL2. From what I've gathered, this has to do with the materials and obviously, the textures...replacing Beach01.pvm with the Green Hill pvm doesn't fix this either...

I don't really know where to go and I'm honestly tired of blindly trying things...any advice?

#1820 User is offline Commando Beta 

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

By any chance, do the names of the textures themselves have to match the textures used in the original Emerald Coast, not just the PVM name?

#1821 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

There are two probable issues: one, the SA2 LandTables all have a reference to the PVM file in the data, so it'll always look for that specific filename rather than whatever PVM the level originally loaded; two, all LandTables include a texture list pointer, which tells SADX how many textures are in the PVM and where each texture is loaded in RAM. Currently the only way to edit either of those is with a hex editor, address 8 in an sa1lvl file points to the LandTable struct, which is described at SCHG:Sonic Adventure/Level Data Formats. But editing it won't help you much unless Emerald Coast's PVM has the same number of textures as Green Hill's, since there's no way to edit the list size yet either (SADXTweaker might work, or might break). Also there may be differences between SA1 and SA2 that I'm unaware of.

Edit: @Commando Beta: The texture names are entirely meaningless to SADX.
This post has been edited by MainMemory: 11 February 2012 - 05:20 PM

#1822 User is offline Turbohog 

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:35 AM

• Wiki edits:22
Thanks a bunch for the info. Since I'm awful at hex editing I went and found that Red Mountain(mountain01) and Mad Space from SA2 have the same amount of textures. I got the landtable in, but for some reason whenever I change Sonic's spawn in SADXLVL2, it doesn't seem to actually save it. I also noticed that for some reason it's ridiculously difficult to even select Sonic/any character in SADXLVL2...all objects and land are selected and moved fine though....just in case you weren't aware of that.

#1823 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:12 AM

• Wiki edits:41
Out of curiosity how intelligent are the character specific objects in different levels anyway? eg. can the COM Sonic still find a route to the end of non-Tails levels or ZERO still chase the player in non Amy levels, or do they just glitch up or run frantically in the middle of nowhere?

#1824 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

Sonic (and Eggman, they're loaded by the same object) have specific paths for each of Tails' levels. Loading the object in a non-Tails level will have them follow the path for the last Tails level you were on. ZERO afaik will just follow Amy in any level until it hits a despawner object, at which point he goes away.

#1825 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:17 PM

New version of SADXPCTools, and I don't even remember what all I've added since it's been three months, but some highlights are:
  • New .sa1mdl format for models (except for chrmodels)
  • Skybox for Emerald Coast and Windy Valley
  • Fixed rendering of transparent objects
  • Fixed mouse picking on objects that use a model hierarchy (turns out I forgot to pop the transformations off the stack when I finished processing the model's children)

#1826 User is online Dude 

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

• 3ds MAX Help Desk
  • Project:Sonic Adventure Generations
  • Wiki edits:43
Is there a way to do a 'clear all' of emerald coast without it crashing yet?

#1827 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

If you mean "delete all the items from the layout and add completely new ones", yes, it's possible, but there's no method for doing so automatically yet (you could just hex edit the COL count to 0 in the .sa1lvl file). The texture animations operate on specific addresses, and build doesn't alter the original data in the exe, it appends new data in a new segment and changes the pointers.
This post has been edited by MainMemory: 12 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

#1828 User is online Dude 

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

• 3ds MAX Help Desk
  • Project:Sonic Adventure Generations
  • Wiki edits:43
Right but if you alter the COL count in sadxlvl, won't it be impossible to import a nodetable?

#1829 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

...You still can't create brand-new levels with SADXLVL, unless you're planning on editing it in SADXLVL, splitting the modified EXE (which may or may not work), and then building it off a clean EXE.

#1830 User is offline Commando Beta 

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

Are character-specific actions driven only by the animations or are they hardcoded? I'm thinking of things such as Tails flying, Knuckles gliding etc.

• 145 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users