Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: BREAKING NEWS ON RETRO FIRST@RETRO - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

BREAKING NEWS ON RETRO FIRST@RETRO

#31 User is offline Tarheeltim 

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:35 AM

• Wiki edits:6
chimpo4admun Congrats on the modship Chimpo. I still miss Shade.
This post has been edited by Tarheeltim: 10 July 2009 - 11:39 AM

#32 User is offline Friend of Sonic 

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:44 AM

• ^ My only lasting impact to the Sonic community
I really don't understand the fundraising. Wetflame and Chaos were set to be banned anyway. If you don't get money, do they go unbanned?

Also, could I raise the stakes and pay a million to ban Sacred Sun? I don't have anything against her, quite the contrary in fact. I would just find it hillarious to drop a million dollars to ban SS.
This post has been edited by Friend of Sonic: 10 July 2009 - 11:48 AM

#33 User is offline GeneHF 

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:45 AM

• Classier than you'll ever be.
  • Project:オノマトペ大臣
  • Wiki edits:381
QUOTE (Rarmander @ Jul 10 2009, 12:32 PM)
QUOTE (Hinchy @ Jul 10 2009, 12:28 PM)
QUOTE (Irixion @ Jul 10 2009, 12:20 PM)
As for the bans—No comment.

You really know things are fucked up when Oldbies do bad things and get banned.

Are you kidding me? Oldbies are not exempt from the rules, none of them are.

It does seem that the elitist attitude of the forum makes it more okay for a mod/olbie/tech member to have an opposing opinion than a regular member. I don't care, if this is the way it should be; whatever works, to be honest. Like I give a fuck whether my words have less meaning, because I have a yellow bar. colbert.png

I don't think it's so much about expressing a differing opinion but so much as how you go around delivering it. Most people don't really take a little time to choose their words wisely and since there's no real way of actually projecting voice accurately in text, things can be misconstrued. Like I told Hedgie, it was alright for him to dislike Michael Jackson, but at least give the people some time to mourn and just avoid starting shit up by being as vehement as he was in expressing his opinion.

However, I will say there have been a few times where someone projects a sound opinion and some staff go a little overboard with the warn/suspend/ban stick, so I can't exactly put the blame on the normal members... and even then, most of you guys aren't complete asshats. v.png
This post has been edited by GeneHF: 10 July 2009 - 11:46 AM

#34 User is offline Rarmander 

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:47 AM

• Poetaster
  • Project:Poetry
  • Wiki edits:1
QUOTE (Friend of Sonic @ Jul 10 2009, 12:44 PM)
I really don't understand the fundraising. Could I pay a million to ban Sacred Sun? I don't have anything against her, quite the contrary in fact. I would just find it hillarious to drop a million dollars to ban SS.

It should be those who are going to be banned can opt into selling their membership to those who hate them; particularly those with strong opinions cause an outburst and a lot would pay to have them banned. Though, the problem is that an admin could potentially tell someone to troll as much as they can yet have a 'valid' reason for not banning them and make a lot of money from everyone that wants to get rid of them. I guess that's not a bad idea. Haha.

I don't think it's so much about expressing a differing opinion but so much as how you go around delivering it. Most people don't really take a little time to choose their words wisely and since there's no real way of actually projecting voice accurately in text, things can be misconstrued. Like I told Hedgie, it was alright for him to dislike Michael Jackson, but at least give the people some time to mourn and just avoid starting shit up by being as vehement as he was in expressing his opinion.

However, I will say there have been a few times where someone projects a sound opinion and some staff go a little overboard with the warn/suspend/ban stick, so I can't exactly put the blame on the normal members... and even then, most of you guys aren't complete asshats.

I was actually referring to when there isn't actual sound evidence; the weight of the bar can cancel out a valid opposing opinion. It's really easy for someone who might have a valid opinion be pushed into the corner from everyone telling them they're wrong, because their thinking is different.
This post has been edited by Rarmander: 10 July 2009 - 11:50 AM

#35 User is offline hxc 

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:53 AM

• spotteddove
  • Wiki edits:2
Trading bans for funding is a truely idiotic way of running a forum. Good job.
This post has been edited by hxc: 10 July 2009 - 11:53 AM

#36 User is offline The Shad 

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:54 AM

• ↑ & ↓ & ↻
  • Wiki edits:83
QUOTE (Friend of Sonic @ Jul 10 2009, 11:44 AM)
I really don't understand the fundraising. Wetflame and Chaos were set to be banned anyway. If you don't get money, do they go unbanned?

Also, could I raise the stakes and pay a million to ban Sacred Sun? I don't have anything against her, quite the contrary in fact. I would just find it hillarious to drop a million dollars to ban SS.

The bans were going to happen anyways. At the same time, Tweaker needed some extra cash in the form of donations due to things being tough in his life. As a joke, they decided to make a mock fundraiser that was nothing more than a mockery. The bans weren't actually paid for.

#37 User is offline GeneHF 

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:59 AM

My guess is some people missed the memo about an in-joke (in this case, the oldbies) being funny to those actually IN the joke. On the outside, it makes the website look more corrupt than a Gotham City official.

That's right, I just brought the goddamn Batman into this. colbert.png

#38 User is offline Irixion 

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:13 PM

• Project:Life
  • Wiki edits:152
QUOTE (GeneHF @ Jul 10 2009, 12:59 PM)
On the outside, it makes the website look more corrupt than a Gotham City official.

Then why does Tweaker enjoy conducting his ''social experiments''? I don't find them funny, and I don't see how he would either. If it makes this place look bad, and you know it, do it anyway?

#39 User is offline Krigo 

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:15 PM

• DUNKING MY WAY TO VICTORY
  • Project:a hack lol
  • Wiki edits:30
QUOTE (Irixion @ Jul 10 2009, 05:20 PM)
You really know things are fucked up when Oldbies do bad things and get banned.

So when a person who was registered in late 2003 gets banned it isn't fucked up? All oldbie shows is that you've been around in the community for a damn long time.

#40 User is offline Irixion 

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:18 PM

I said that though =P. More 'Members' get banned than 'Olbies'.

#41 User is offline GeneHF 

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE (Irixion @ Jul 10 2009, 01:13 PM)
QUOTE (GeneHF @ Jul 10 2009, 12:59 PM)
On the outside, it makes the website look more corrupt than a Gotham City official.

Then why does Tweaker enjoy conducting his ''social experiments''? I don't find them funny, and I don't see how he would either. If it makes this place look bad, and you know it, do it anyway?

I can't really answer for him (though I'm sure he'll be doing a giant splash post when he wakes up,) but I can say I don't really agree with his explanations for doing that. It just seems more like a convenient answer for, "I fucked up, how do I get out of this one?"
This post has been edited by GeneHF: 10 July 2009 - 12:19 PM

#42 User is offline Blast Processing 

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:20 PM

• Wiki edits:5
QUOTE (Irixion @ Jul 10 2009, 06:18 PM)
I said that though =P. More 'Members' get banned than 'Olbies'.

because there's more active members then active oldbies?
This post has been edited by Blast Processing: 10 July 2009 - 12:21 PM

#43 User is offline Irixion 

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:26 PM

I wouldn't say that's the case, If you're around for a long amount of time you know how everyone 'works' so to speak. Plus the entire 'friendship bias' deal.

#44 User is offline saxman 

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:28 PM

• S2HD Staff - Tools & Assistant Programmer
  • Project:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSkQoKRovEk
  • Wiki edits:136
Whoa...

Wetflame and Chaos Hedgie were banned. I know some of you have heard about the fundraising that was done in conjunction with this, and I want to clarify this a little bit. Both Chaos Hedgie and Wetflame were set to be banned when the idea was originally proposed by a few different people to Tweaker. Tweaker and I talked it over (and I told him about a fundraiser I do at another site once a year where people volunteer to get banned for x amount of funds toward the site) and we agreed to do it. Tweaker got some money he really needed due to some tough IRL shit and we got our bans done.

I'm stunned more people aren't as outraged as I am. You let people PAY to get people banned?? Tell me you're joking.

EDIT: It has to be a joke. Nobody's that stupid are they?
This post has been edited by saxman: 10 July 2009 - 12:33 PM

#45 User is offline The Shad 

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:34 PM

• ↑ & ↓ & ↻
  • Wiki edits:83
QUOTE (saxman @ Jul 10 2009, 12:28 PM)
Whoa...

Wetflame and Chaos Hedgie were banned. I know some of you have heard about the fundraising that was done in conjunction with this, and I want to clarify this a little bit. Both Chaos Hedgie and Wetflame were set to be banned when the idea was originally proposed by a few different people to Tweaker. Tweaker and I talked it over (and I told him about a fundraiser I do at another site once a year where people volunteer to get banned for x amount of funds toward the site) and we agreed to do it. Tweaker got some money he really needed due to some tough IRL shit and we got our bans done.

I'm stunned more people aren't as outraged as I am. You let people PAY to get people banned?? Tell me you're joking.

QUOTE (The Shad @ Jul 10 2009, 11:54 AM)
The bans were going to happen anyways. At the same time, Tweaker needed some extra cash in the form of donations due to things being tough in his life. As a joke, they decided to make a mock fundraiser that was nothing more than a mockery. The bans weren't actually paid for.

QUOTE (GeneHF @ Jul 10 2009, 11:59 AM)
My guess is some people missed the memo about an in-joke (in this case, the oldbies) being funny to those actually IN the joke. On the outside, it makes the website look more corrupt than a Gotham City official.

That's right, I just brought the goddamn Batman into this. colbert.png

There's more, but if you can't even bothered to read through the thread, where its CLEARLY EXPLAINED PERHAPS SEVERAL TIMES, there's no point in showing you.

• 8 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users