Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Random Hack/Mini Project Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 49 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 45
  • 46
  • 47
  • 48
  • 49
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Random Hack/Mini Project Thread

#691 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:17 AM

  • Emerald Hunter
  • Posts: 1118
  • Joined: 11-October 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:🇫🇷 France
  • Project:Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
  • Wiki edits:12

View PostNeo, on 03 August 2016 - 04:48 AM, said:

View PostKharen, on 02 August 2016 - 09:57 PM, said:

Out of curiosity, how difficult would it be to incorporate this into Sonic CD?

Difficult. Sonic CD is effectively split into 70 individual "games", one for each stage, with each a copy of the main engine, object code, art, etc. You would have to disassemble each one, which I don't think anyone has ever really done (except for maybe Stealth/Taxman?), though if the relevant code is exactly the same between all files, it might be easy enough to apply what works in one file to all the others.

What Neo said is almost perfect; I will just add two things: (1) that Sonic CD is a terrible game to test this on anyway because its spindash and peelout are far from instantaneous; the drop dash will feel incredibly overpowered compared to those moves. Better games would be S2 or S3&K; and (2) that the code is similar enough that the drop dash could conceivably be added (see Sonic CD++).

Edit: Added quote due to page break.
This post has been edited by flamewing: 03 August 2016 - 06:18 AM

#692 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:29 AM

  • Posts: 1407
  • Joined: 15-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD, Sonic Maker
  • Wiki edits:111
Just thought I'd repost a couple of the super small pointless hacks I made way back.

---

Sonic 1 Invincible
You can't get hurt, and you can't die. At all.
Nothing can crush you, water can't drown you, and enemies can't stop you.
Fall down a bottomless pit? Hold jump to fling yourself back up!

You can't complete a full run-through due to Scrap Brain Act 3 being inaccessible through the conventional method, but it's fun to mess about in.

Sonic 1 Walls Edition
Stick perfectly to any angle, you will never slip down or fall.

---

Both are kind of buggy, but recently uncovered them again and decided to re-share.
This post has been edited by Lapper: 07 August 2016 - 02:48 PM

#693 User is offline Ralakimus 

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:45 AM

  • MOSKAU MOSKAU
  • Posts: 199
  • Joined: 16-April 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:sekrit
I made this a while back but I never released it for some reason.

Here ya go, Sonic 1: 25th Anniversary Edition.

#694 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:58 AM

  • NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Posts: 4138
  • Joined: 06-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:9
A little utility that converts Sega Genesis art into a Dreamcast format that is further optimized for PVR , along with an option to compress the art using vector quantization. Supports all the Sonic games:

Posted Image

#695 User is offline HorriblePerson 

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:56 AM

  • Tired, bored, and just needs a break for once...
  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 23-March 16
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hell
  • Project:(See "Projects" section at my wiki page)
Sonic Labyrinth 2

During Pepsi in Sonic 1's development, I created this mini hack out of boredom, so don't expect much from it. Basically, Sonic walks very slowly, and the only way to gain speed is by either A: Using slopes to your advantage or B: Using the spindash. However, Sonic can't jump while he rolls, and Sonic decelerates very slowly, so you would have to be smart with how you move around.

Here the zones that (I know) are possible:

Emerald Hill
Chemical Plant
Aquatic Ruin
Casino Night
Hill Top
Mystic Cave
Oil Ocean
Metropolis Act 1
Death Egg

Have fun, I guess.

P.S play as Sonic and Tails, otherwise you'll have a hard time beating the bosses and breaking the end capsules.
This post has been edited by HorriblePerson: 22 August 2016 - 09:50 PM

#696 User is offline EnderWaffle 

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:02 PM

  • Meme Stealer Extraordinaire
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 13-August 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Donk City, Metro Kingdom
  • Project:Sonic 1: Changed Edition
I hope I'm not the only one who at first thought this was a Sonic Labyrinth hack. :v:

By the way, I've got a mini hack of my own: Fast Sonic
It's not what you'd expect.
This post has been edited by EnderWaffle: 29 October 2016 - 03:07 PM

#697 User is offline Techokami 

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:58 PM

  • For use only on NTSC Genesis systems
  • Posts: 1278
  • Joined: 19-November 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:HoleNet!
  • Project:Sonic Edge
  • Wiki edits:63
Once upon a time I punched Tile Molester in the dick and made a sheet of Sonic's sprites from Sonic 1 on the Master System. Fast forward to 2016 and Tpot made a revised sheet that conforms to the same limitations but looks so much nicer, and shared it on me Discord server:
Posted Image

After a convoluted chaining of tools*, I replaced the Sonic sprites in the ROM with that set. Behold, Sonic The Hedgehog Refreshed:
Posted Image
Download!

*Because there's no easy way to edit 3BPP Planar graphics, it went like this: Master Tile Converter (get tiles) -> The GIMP (convert BMP to a slightly different BMP) -> YY-CHR (import tiles, re-arrange to edit) -> The GIMP (replace old sprites with new sprites) -> YY-CHR (de-arrange) -> The GIMP (convert slightly different BMP to BMP) -> Master Tile Converter (insert tiles)

#698 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:12 PM

  • The architect of the universe, didn't build a stairway, leading nowhere.
  • Posts: 1832
  • Joined: 22-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Japan
  • Wiki edits:16
Those sprites are fantastic, excellent use of the black and white I must say!

#699 User is offline Techokami 

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:07 PM

  • For use only on NTSC Genesis systems
  • Posts: 1278
  • Joined: 19-November 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:HoleNet!
  • Project:Sonic Edge
  • Wiki edits:63
Indeed, Tpot did a superb job :)
EDIT: I just updated the ROM with some new item monitor artwork. Looks a lot nicer now! Too bad the HUD art is compressed, and I can't be arsed to write a compressor/decompressor...
Posted Image
Download link is the same as before. Might be making another update or two later?
EDIT 2: And so I did, with new art from Tpot! Same download location as before.
Posted Image
EDIT 3: RINGS! Tpot managed to make better rings while restricted to the original 3 colors. MADNESS! Download now from the same link to see for yourself!
This post has been edited by Techokami: 01 December 2016 - 02:36 PM

#700 User is offline TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:18 AM

  • OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST
  • Posts: 1350
  • Joined: 09-December 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY, USA
  • Project:Sonic 1 Color Contrast
Really cool stuff!
This post has been edited by TheInvisibleSun: 08 December 2016 - 02:19 AM

#701 User is offline SoullessSentinel 

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:01 AM

  • Posts: 249
  • Joined: 01-October 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Grimsby, England
  • Project:Sonic 1 32X Remix
Some of you may remember that a few years back I began work on a 32X enhanced port of Sonic 1
I was experimenting with real time rotation of Sprites using the 32X.

I haven't touched the project in more than two years, so I figured why not just publish the code for what I have but I don't think it is enough to warrent it's own topic, so here goes.

Sonic 1 32X Remix:
The actual port of Sonic 1 to the 32X.
Includes PWM support and the very beginning of a 32X sprite rendering engine
https://github.com/L...gehog-32X-Remix

32XArtEdit:
A basic art editor written in C# for creating and editing art data to be used by the 32X rendering functions.
https://github.com/L...sher/32XArtEdit

Hopefully something within this is useful for somebody. I did intend to continue the project, but I just didn't find time.

#702 User is offline EliGamerX 

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:45 AM

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 12-August 16
  • Gender:Male

View PostSoullessSentinel, on 14 December 2016 - 06:01 AM, said:

Some of you may remember that a few years back I began work on a 32X enhanced port of Sonic 1
I was experimenting with real time rotation of Sprites using the 32X.

I haven't touched the project in more than two years, so I figured why not just publish the code for what I have but I don't think it is enough to warrent it's own topic, so here goes.

Sonic 1 32X Remix:
The actual port of Sonic 1 to the 32X.
Includes PWM support and the very beginning of a 32X sprite rendering engine
https://github.com/L...gehog-32X-Remix

32XArtEdit:
A basic art editor written in C# for creating and editing art data to be used by the 32X rendering functions.
https://github.com/L...sher/32XArtEdit

Hopefully something within this is useful for somebody. I did intend to continue the project, but I just didn't find time.


How about trying realtime 3D models for Sonic and Eggman?

#703 User is offline CaveQuest 

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:52 PM

  • Posts: 34
  • Joined: 18-July 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Sonic Nightmare Simulator Remake, Sonic Dream Eater and other stuff.
Sonic Nightmare Simulator was a hack of mine back when I wasn't a member. And well I am working on a Remake due to how badly the initial version went in terms of progress. I did cancel the original but I never posted it here on Retro.
Therefor... Sonic Nightmare Simulator shall be seen by you all who aren't also a member off SSRG ofc.

Download

To check out anything else about this hack...

SSRG THREAD

#704 User is offline SonicBurst 

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:38 PM

  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 12-December 14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Germany
  • Project:Sonic: Project Crimson

View PostCaveQuest, on 22 December 2016 - 08:52 PM, said:

Sonic Nightmare Simulator was a hack of mine back when I wasn't a member. And well I am working on a Remake due to how badly the initial version went in terms of progress. I did cancel the original but I never posted it here on Retro.
Therefor... Sonic Nightmare Simulator shall be seen by you all who aren't also a member off SSRG ofc.

Download

To check out anything else about this hack...

SSRG THREAD


This is an interesting hack! It looks very dark and edgy. Althrough, there are some glitches there. But for an simple Sonic 1 hack, this looks nice. Good luck on working!

#705 User is offline DetoNtn 

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:29 AM

  • Layout Master
  • Posts: 15
  • Joined: 28-January 17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia

View PostEliGamerX, on 14 December 2016 - 06:45 AM, said:

View PostSoullessSentinel, on 14 December 2016 - 06:01 AM, said:

Some of you may remember that a few years back I began work on a 32X enhanced port of Sonic 1
I was experimenting with real time rotation of Sprites using the 32X.

I haven't touched the project in more than two years, so I figured why not just publish the code for what I have but I don't think it is enough to warrent it's own topic, so here goes.

Sonic 1 32X Remix:
The actual port of Sonic 1 to the 32X.
Includes PWM support and the very beginning of a 32X sprite rendering engine
https://github.com/L...gehog-32X-Remix

32XArtEdit:
A basic art editor written in C# for creating and editing art data to be used by the 32X rendering functions.
https://github.com/L...sher/32XArtEdit

Hopefully something within this is useful for somebody. I did intend to continue the project, but I just didn't find time.


How about trying realtime 3D models for Sonic and Eggman?


By "real-time 3d", do you mean like Virtua Fighter models..? Adding 3D models would be pointless, as you'd only ever see the left or right side of Sonic, and front side of Eggman. Soulless could easily get away with this by using flat, sprite-sheet halves of the 3-d animations from a 3d model, rather than waste space on the game.

  • 49 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 45
  • 46
  • 47
  • 48
  • 49
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users