don't click here

Random Hack/Mini Project Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Malevolence, Jul 4, 2009.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Already know that, I don't see it as a problem.

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Ok I give up :(

3. pyrotix

pyrotix

Brooklyn, NY
    Newmindspace
    I beat CPZ2 by glitching through some walls

4. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    It happens because that part of the background layer scrolls faster than the foreground layer, and since it is limited to 16 pixels/frame, it is possible to get the foreground layer (and thus Sonic and all objects) at the correct position while the background layer lags behind. If I understand correctly, SetHorizScrollFlagsBG_ARZ enforces this limit.

5. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Updated, now you'll never lose lives and pressing A while paused always returns you to the title screen. I've also removed all events that would give you a 1up.

Sonic's life counter is now a level (LV.) counter, and the score counter is labeled EXP. Every 10000 points, you gain a level, and every level, your top speed increases by $40, your acceleration increases by 1, and your braking increases by 4. Remember: if you complete a level in under 30 seconds you get 50000 points! That's five levels!

Fyi, Sonic starts being uncontrollable about lvl. 30

6. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Why when I click on it or even right click save as, it comes up as a garbled text document?

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Because x-hax fails at mimetypes. IE can download it correctly. Also video.

8. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Ah right, and awesome! Would be hilarious (yet somewhat annoying) to have the Secret Rings theme playing on the level select and end of act scenes XD

9. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    If somebody can make the songs I'll do it. Alternately there's SonMP3, but it's not done yet.

10. Hey, Main, do you intend to use the Sonic and the Secret Rings soundtrack into the S2 Secret Rings Edition?

Question two: are you going to implement the EXP system at the S2 SRE? My bad for that askings, just fathom how awesome it would look at seeing such a complete pack.

Note: Your updated link is coming here in form of broken data on my Firefox. Could you check for some error in your upload?

Edit: Main has re-answered the question patiently... and it worked. I'm starting to wonder why do I use Firefox. Thanks for the patience, man.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL

12. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Firefox worked fine for me. it's still a 7z file, so just extract it with 7zip.

13. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    FM Drums in Sonic 1
    This was done by rewriting the Z80 sound driver based on Puto's split+text of the driver (as well as some of the SMPS code 68000-side). None of the original songs were modified.

14. Few songs crash in game, most notably, one up, credits, LBZ..those are all the ones I can remember right now, all of them lock up the rom with the ILLEGAL INSTRUCTION error in Regen :)

15. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
  16. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
  17. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Neat. Apart from the single life and the timer starting at 5 min, I take it the main change was having the first emerald now in the first special stage? I couldn't confirm if it was still in Act 2 or not, because it keeps going all screwy. I did notice the second one is still in Bridge zone as usual.

18. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Ah yes, the 5 minutes on the clock and 1 live thing, I was trying to make the game a bit more difficult. ;) And yep, the chaos emerald is in the Special Stage and not act 2. (In fact, nothing's there where the emerald was, but the camera glitch prevents you from seeing that. :v:) Also this hack is a preview of a much bigger hack that I'll be entering the contest with. (It's not worthy of it's own thread yet anyway. :v:)

19. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Blah sorry for the double post, but I made a new random Sonic 1 8-bit hack that I want to share. :v: Copy/Paste from SSRG:
    So does anyone rely on Sonic's Spin Attack in Sonic 1 8-bit? Well if you do, then you'll hate this hack, because he can't spin anymore. :v: So if you wanted to know how I did this, it's simple. I just set ($DC) to $C2. $DC is the 1st joypad port address, and $Cx indicates each pin input. Changing x to 2 simply disabled that connection, so I really just disabled the down button. Here's the link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?4nch46006pjcj71

20. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    This is awesome, but I think you'd be much better off if you used a snare drum that maybe sounded a bit closer to the original S1 snare. I happen to think this a slightly better candidate: http://www.box.net/shared/8ed7yoinky

It's in a .tfi format, though, just as a forewarning.