Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Random Hack/Mini Project Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Random Hack/Mini Project Thread

#436 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:53 AM

• Beast Boy Stahp
  • Project:Mighty No. 9 Universe,various hacking projects
  • Wiki edits:112
So the other day I got bored, so I hacked Sonic 2. I added a boost. Hold down B to make Sonic boost. I also ported it to Sonic 3k, 'cause I felt like it. :v: Here's a link to these two hacks:
http://www.mediafire...hhnhnhz8v228f65 (Sonic 2)
http://www.mediafire...bx5yk93wu3as6f0 (Sonic 3k)
I also have this special hack that I'll be showing my gf soon, you'll see what I mean if you play through Chemical Plant Zone. ;) (No it's not sexual. :v:)
http://www.mediafire...w0nx87s67i38b6q (Special Hack)
Enjoy! :3

#437 User is offline Hitaxas 

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:38 AM

• SEGA: Sorry Classic Sonic, we are sending you back to 1994
  • Project:Sonic: Super Deformed (head director) - Slowly working on it.
  • Wiki edits:196
For a moment, when you said you added a boost...I thought you meant the modern Sonic Boost.

However, the special hack you have there is fucking genius. Is she known for hitting the monitor all the time when playing the game? I hope it works out for you. :)

Edit: disable the start button on that screen btw, will prevent her from skipping past it.
This post has been edited by Hitaxas: 06 February 2012 - 05:40 AM

#438 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

• Elite Hacker
  • Project:Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
  • Wiki edits:12
Random mini-hack: if you want a challenge, here it is: faster S2 special stages. There is a very minor slowdown when lots of objects are on-screen, which I don't think it is noticeable.

Now, if instead of liking challenges you are downright masochistic, you can try the super fast S2 special stages; this one has more of a slowdown when lots of objects are on-screen, but it is still very minor.

Background: while figuring out how the S2 special stages do their drawing, I saw that the main drawing function was slower than it could be: it is, in fact, about 20 times slower (!) than it needs to be. It is so slow that it takes more than one frame to draw one fourth of the screen -- the screen is displayed for an additional frame after 8 frames drawing it, so the S2 special stage framerate is a paltry 20/3 frames/second. Most of the time is 'wasted' in decoding the compressed data. Note that a good deal of the second frame was left to objects' code and a few other things.

So I included the pre-decompressed drawing data instead; a total decompression causes the data size to increase by about a factor of 10. It is possible to only unpack the original data (it is in a bitstream format) and only double the data size, but this leads to noticeable slowdowns with lots of objects on-screen. The size increase can probably be reduced by measures such as the S3&K objects and priority manager, by porting S3&K-style KosM decoding with a $700 byte module size for the track drawing, and so on.

Anyway: I rewrote the drawing routine to take advantage of the uncompressed data, making it enormously faster. For almost all of the time, the framerate is now multiplied by 9/5 -- to a final 12 frames/second. The super fast version queues two DMAs at once (drawing half a screen per frame), and does not show for an added frame after; thus, it is 5/2 times as fast as the other version, for a total of 30 frames/second -- with small amounts of lag in some places with lots of objects.

I won't be working on this any further, it is just a proof of concept.
This post has been edited by flamewing: 16 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

#439 User is offline Sonica 

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:00 PM

• You spin me right round.
  • Project:Meh. This and that.
  • Wiki edits:111
Here's a hack I haven't seen anyone else do before: Sonic 1 Invincible

Basically, you cannot loose. You cant die, drown, fall through the bottom, get hurt, or loose at the special stages. I guess you can trick people into thinking you are fantastic at the game or summin'

#440 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:59 AM

• Wiki edits:16
This bit cracked me up:

Posted Image

I GOT STUCK!!

It's the not being able to die when hitting a bottomless pit that makes me laugh, because you sorta bounce back up like Sonic 1 bouncy edition =P

#441 User is offline GT Koopa 

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:38 AM

• Project:Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
  • Wiki edits:6

View PostMarkeyJester, on 18 February 2012 - 04:59 AM, said:

It's the not being able to die when hitting a bottomless pit that makes me laugh, because you sorta bounce back up like Sonic 1 bouncy edition =P

I didn't play said hack yet, but what you are describing is how Dynamite Headdy handles bottomless pits right? I always wondered what that would be like in a hack.

#442 User is offline Hitaxas 

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:33 AM

• SEGA: Sorry Classic Sonic, we are sending you back to 1994
  • Project:Sonic: Super Deformed (head director) - Slowly working on it.
  • Wiki edits:196
I once pulled off a similar effect when I hit the bottom of the screen in the super-old (Sonic 1) version of my hack. I forget how I pulled that off though. Thank you for this Sonica, love it. :)
This post has been edited by Hitaxas: 18 February 2012 - 06:33 AM

#443 User is offline Putmalk 

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

Just a level hack of S3 I've been working on, I have some vids of it:

This post has been edited by Putmalk: 20 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

#444 User is offline DarkBones 

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

@Putmalk Wow, that level looks really nice. Other than that cheap spike placement in that one pit of Sonic's/Tail's area, it looks like it could have been in the actual Sonic 3&K. Keep up the good work!

#445 User is offline Putmalk 

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

View PostDarkBones, on 21 March 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

@Putmalk Wow, that level looks really nice. Other than that cheap spike placement in that one pit of Sonic's/Tail's area, it looks like it could have been in the actual Sonic 3&K. Keep up the good work!

Thank you very much. :) These levels aren't finished and I will be filling them with more props as I feel they're a bit empty. But I want to get a shell going before I load them up.

Working on Ice Cap Act 2, loving it so far. The space restrictions aren't bad in this level, and it leaves me room to create the levels I really had imagined (unlike Angel Island were it's impossible to create the level I want).

#446 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:22 AM

• Beast Boy Stahp
Alright so a few people have stated that they don't like how there's a time limit in Sonic games, so I decided to hack Sonic 2. I plan on adding this to S3k, and maybe S1 but it's like after 2 am here and I need rest. :v: Here's the ROM:
http://www.mediafire...yotasoyfo78akkd
Also ignore the HUD, I was attempting to remove the Time part in the HUD all together, but I couldn't figure out where the hud loads the actual numbers in the disassembly, and I gave up looking since I'm tired. :v: The hack itself was very simple to make, I only needed to clear the time over flag, the update timer flag, and the tally score so it wouldn't give the player any Time bonus.

#447 User is offline W.A.C. 

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:14 AM

• I abuse text smilies way too much.
  • Project:Unmotivated to work on anything.
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostRavenfreak, on 29 March 2012 - 02:22 AM, said:

Alright so a few people have stated that they don't like how there's a time limit in Sonic games, so I decided to hack Sonic 2. I plan on adding this to S3k, and maybe S1 but it's like after 2 am here and I need rest. :v: Here's the ROM:
http://www.mediafire...yotasoyfo78akkd
Also ignore the HUD, I was attempting to remove the Time part in the HUD all together, but I couldn't figure out where the hud loads the actual numbers in the disassembly, and I gave up looking since I'm tired. :v: The hack itself was very simple to make, I only needed to clear the time over flag, the update timer flag, and the tally score so it wouldn't give the player any Time bonus.

Thank you so much for making this rom hack. It was so nice being able to play Sonic 2 at any speed I felt like. ^_^ I managed to find certain areas I've actually never been to before. There are a few glitches though. For some reason, the thing that lowers in Chemical Planet no longer has that sound effect, the goal post is more glitchy, and I think the game occasionally does some weird flashing after dying.

#448 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

• Beast Boy Stahp
Ah bugger, I thought there'd be glitches, I only tested EHZ1 since I was tired. :\ Anywho I finally got around to hacking S3k. Here's the rom, and next I feel like tackling Sonic CD and seeing if I could implement this into it. ;)
http://www.mediafire...3jd5tulvh4u523w

#449 User is offline Selbi 

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

• Obligatory new year's avatar remake.
  • Project:Sonic ERaZor
  • Wiki edits:320
Well, after seeing this, and because I apparently had nothing better to do, I did the same with Sonic 1. Took me literally 5 minutes, but it was fun for the short time.

http://selbi.hapisan.com/S1NoTime.bin

#450 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

• Beast Boy Stahp
Okay since everyone has different opinions on the time limit, I got an idea for another hack. This is more of a challenge for people who don't care about the time limit. In Sonic CD, there are MMD's of each round and time period, we all know that. Each MMD contains basically the same data. Within each of them, is a line of code that ensures the timer doesn't update until the title card sequence is finished. I cleared that flag, so as soon as the title card sequence starts, the clock starts to update. (Except for in special stages.) I hacked a japanese iso of the game, though in the link provided I only included the iso since that took forever by itself to upload. I'm sure you know how to get the soundtrack anyways. xP I'm also going to locate every MMD inside the japanese iso, well eventually. I just need to locate their absolute offset, which shouldn't be difficult to find. Anyway enjoy! :)

http://www.mediafire...5kjv1r1apo5r0qo
And I'm still searching for the Time Over flag so I can make a no time limit hack. :v:

• 38 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users