Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: ITT We attempt to explain Knuckles' plot in Sonic 3/Sonic 2 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

ITT We attempt to explain Knuckles' plot in Sonic 3/Sonic 2

#31 User is offline TheGreen1 

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:14 PM

Ehh, I feel that Egg Robo is separate from Robotnik.

HOWEVER, and I'm sure this has already been addressed, but one will see, in Flying Battery Zone, that you fight both Egg Robo AND Robotnik, who hangs around on that bar swinging around and trying to give you a hotfoot. Actually, I think it was a glitch that they still had Robotnik on there, oh well.

By the way, I have bad memories of Super Metal Sonic in Knuckle's version of Sky Sanctuary zone.

#32 User is offline Frozen Nitrogen 

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:42 PM

• Wouldn't the door have been easier?
  • Project:Wiki general
  • Wiki edits:6,025
QUOTE (TheGreen1 @ Nov 30 2009, 08:14 PM)

HOWEVER, and I'm sure this has already been addressed, but one will see, in Flying Battery Zone, that you fight both Egg Robo AND Robotnik, who hangs around on that bar swinging around and trying to give you a hotfoot. Actually, I think it was a glitch that they still had Robotnik on there, oh well.

By the way, I have bad memories of Super Metal Sonic in Knuckle's version of Sky Sanctuary zone.

I'm sure I read in an interview with some member of the S3&K team that the Knuckles' Flying Battery Robotnik was supposed to be Eggrobo, but they didn't have the sort of sideways-y sprite for the robot and couldn't be bothered to make one. So Knux got stuck with Dr. R.

#33 User is offline TheGreen1 

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (Frozen Nitrogen @ Dec 1 2009, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (TheGreen1 @ Nov 30 2009, 08:14 PM)

I'm sure I read in an interview with some member of the S3&K team that the Knuckles' Flying Battery Robotnik was supposed to be Eggrobo, but they didn't have the sort of sideways-y sprite for the robot and couldn't be bothered to make one. So Knux got stuck with Dr. R.

Eh, glitch or Laziness whatever.

Same crap different name.

Same thing with Sonic CD American Release. They didn't finish everything, and left the japanese music as the past music. Perfect example of Laziness right there.
(Could have been time constraints too, but I don't care. Should have given them a bit more time then eh?)
This post has been edited by TheGreen1: 01 December 2009 - 05:33 PM

#34 User is offline Trunks 

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:18 PM

• AGAIN TRY
  • Project:Sure to be Ban'd, The Bancast, Trunks & Soto, iLove
  • Wiki edits:30
What are the canonical ramifications of the game Knuckles in Sonic the Hedgehog 2? Where instead of Sonic, Knuckles has flown down from the Floating Island to stop the wily Dr. Robotnik from conquering the planet with his mighty Death Egg.

Discuss.
This post has been edited by nineko: 14 February 2010 - 07:49 PM
Reason for edit: merged Trunks's thread with an existing older thread

#35 User is offline Greg the Cat 

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:20 PM

• I'm gonna draw it!
  • Project:Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
  • Wiki edits:2
It's non canonical.

The story never happened. It's just there.

#36 User is offline Andlabs 

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:22 PM

• 「いっきまーす」
  • Project:Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
  • Wiki edits:7,061
No, it was a gimmick made just to make the Lock-On Technology not seem worthless, so they could make it a selling point. Had it not been for palette issues (apparently they didn't want any of the strange colors seen in the Knuckles-in-Sonic-1 hacks), Sonic 1 would've had the same treatment.

#37 User is offline Jayextee 

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:23 PM

• Comic Mischief
  • Project:Who knows? Toss a coin, will ya?
  • Wiki edits:27
I see it more of an analog to the Elseworlds comics myself.

#38 User is offline Greg the Cat 

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:28 PM

• I'm gonna draw it!
  • Project:Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
QUOTE (Jayextee @ Feb 14 2010, 01:23 PM)
I see it more of an analog to the Elseworlds comics myself.

Yeah, I see. Something of an alternate dimension/universe/multiverse/whateverthehellyouwanttocallit where Knuckles was the hero instead.

#39 User is offline Herm the Germ 

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:28 PM

• FINAL ATTACKRIDE: D-D-D-DECADE!
  • Project:Trying to figure out Sonic Heroes lighting data, anyone willing to help? D:
  • Wiki edits:5
Alternate reality were Sonic never was? v.png

#40 User is offline Greg the Cat 

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:29 PM

• I'm gonna draw it!
QUOTE (Herm the Germ @ Feb 14 2010, 01:28 PM)
Alternate reality were Sonic never was? v.png

Quite possibly. Hahaha.

#41 User is offline DimensionWarped 

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:29 PM

• Erinaceous!
There wasn't any context for Knuckles in Sonic 2, so it's very hard to say what the ramifications of it being canon would have been.

For starters, it would have meant Sonic would have been uninvolved with that. Fighting mecha Sonic would have seemed a lot less sensical. Knuckles would have already known Robotnik was the villain before Sonic 3, so he probably wouldn't have been fucking with Sonic the whole time. Sonic might not have jumped off the plane since he never would have got 7 chaos emeralds in Sonic 2, so Sonic 3 might even have opened up differently. Or maybe just with that surfing sequence that the beta had sprites for. Either way.

Depending on which ending you choose for Sonic 2, Knuckles might have got all the emeralds instead, so he would have been the one going Super Knuckles at the drop of a hat while Sonic just sort of ends up being the guy who doesn't like Knuckles is later in the series. This would have course have significantly changed the events of Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2... where Sonic would have been absolutely clueless about everything emerald related. The main rivalry in the game might have even become Knuckles vs Shadow instead. Wouldn't that have been fucked up?

I could carry the ripple of evil farther forwards, but I can't think straight right now.

#42 User is online Black Squirrel 

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:58 PM

• 2 warps to Neptune
  • Project:Blog Squirrel
  • Wiki edits:20,569
If there was some continuity it would have been really, really poor.

Robotnik makes a Death Egg, then he makes it agan, and then again, and then... again

It's like how Blue Sphere isn't related to the overall story either.

#43 User is offline Vendettagainst 

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:03 PM

• Apparently shooting kills things
How about it's a marketing gimmick and has no continuity? I mean, come on, up until Sonic 3 the games didn't even really have a story.

#44 User is offline PC2 

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:07 PM

• GenMobile > 3DS
  • Project:Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
  • Wiki edits:422
Well, if you wanted to add a story, you could just say Robotnik somehow gets the emeralds (the Master Emerald maybe?) again and returns to Westside Island to wreak havoc and Knuckles chases after him. :/
This post has been edited by PC2: 14 February 2010 - 03:28 PM

#45 User is offline Mad Echidna 

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:08 PM

• Gone
  • Wiki edits:4
NO NO NO you guys, I'll tell you what happened. Weeks before Sonic caught wind of Robotnik's schemes, Knuckles used the platform transported in Hidden Palalce zone to transport to another planet. At the very moment the beam engaged, a solar flare occurred, sending Knuckles back in time to the moment Robotnik began his assault on Emerald Hill Zone. This is how it happened.

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users