Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Project: Sonic Retro Ended - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Project: Sonic Retro Ended

#16 User is offline BlackHole 

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:04 PM

• You're going to need MORE than help.
  • Project:Sprites for Cybernetic Outbreak
QUOTE (Andlabs @ May 15 2009, 08:02 PM)
QUOTE (GeneHF @ May 15 2009, 02:59 PM)
Like I said earlier, the onus falls on the team that still wants to continue this, since I see a few of them in here already hanging up the towel.

That's one of the two reasons why I asked the second question! =P (The other was so that individual hacks could not be penalized.)

Of course I'd like to put up a team that could continue this. Who would like to join me?

I'd help, but I haven't got any skill that would be useful.
EDIT: Oh, and the post below
This post has been edited by BlackHole: 15 May 2009 - 02:09 PM

#17 User is offline Metal Knuckles 

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:08 PM

• HAVE SOME FUN WITH MIKU
  • Project:Shadow Alpha, an awesome hack of Sonic 1
  • Wiki edits:10
objection.gif

Please note that any attempts to resurrect the project after this announcement will be stopped

#18 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:10 PM

Contrary to what people might think, the only real thing keeping the project down was a lack of willing and qualified leadership. Community projects, in fact, do work—the constant notion that they don't reflects a longstanding pessimistic criticism of the practice, which leads those involved in the projects to not even bother trying. The project had worked at several points in time, however, and with proper leadership could have continued in some form or another.

So to those of you who are trying to use this as some sort of stepping stool to say collaborative efforts never work—drop it. They do work; the only people incapable of grasping that concept are people like you. Stop being shallow and open up your mind to radical concepts once in a while.

As an amendum, I think it's rather pointless to speak in the past tense about how there was never a chance of the project to succeed—those who do are all just being bandwagoning gits, and we could do without your arrogant, smug attitudes. I wouldn't say the chance of this project coming back at a distant point in the future is totally out of the question, but it's certainly not going to be any time soon, nor with our current userbase.

I'd like to stress that, as mentioned above, any attempts to unofficially continue this project will not be endorsed or featured in any form on this website. Find somewhere else to leech talent from.

#19 User is offline Andlabs 

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:10 PM

• 「いっきまーす」
  • Project:Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
  • Wiki edits:7,061
QUOTE (Metal Knuckles @ May 15 2009, 03:08 PM)
objection.gif

Please note that any attempts to resurrect the project after this announcement will be stopped

Explain GeneOB's post.

EDIT - oh.

fuck it. au revoir, project.
This post has been edited by Andlabs: 15 May 2009 - 02:15 PM

#20 User is offline GeneHF 

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:20 PM

• Classier than you'll ever be.
  • Project:オノマトペ大臣
  • Wiki edits:381
Just to explain what I meant, Tweaker pretty much said it:

I wouldn't say the chance of this project coming back at a distant point in the future is totally out of the question, but it's certainly not going to be any time soon...

#21 User is offline synchronizer 

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:40 PM

• Wiki edits:19
No... I had high hopes for this.

#22 User is offline Elratauru 

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:25 PM

• Oooh Shiny stuff! don't touch it >:(
  • Project:Web Developing Stuff! :P
  • Wiki edits:132
QUOTE (Andlabs @ May 15 2009, 03:49 PM)
The simple question: has S2HD learned a lesson from P:SR, or does it need to learn one?

Well, We, -Sonic 2HD Staff- are a small team with the necessary people working, and a community helping from behind. Thit is why we got a general coordinator too, a small team can do miracles if organized after all.

#23 User is offline Ollie 

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:53 PM

• DIGGY DIGGY HOLE
  • Wiki edits:149
Are we allowed to use the material/ideas for our own Fan games if credit is given?

There are a few nice ideas that just can't go to waste. =P
This post has been edited by Ollie: 15 May 2009 - 03:54 PM

#24 User is offline GT Koopa 

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:19 PM

• Project:Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
  • Wiki edits:6
Very sad. I always enjoyed reading the archives of the project before everything was minimalized by Chimpo.

I know this might be out of my league to ask, but has Rika Chou ever considered going back to Sonic 2: Advanced Edit? He stopped the hack way back to work on Project Retro.

#25 User is online Hinchy 

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:17 PM

• Project:Collectems
  • Wiki edits:32
I personally don't think it's right to stifle all attempts at a revival among interested people. I'm not saying I'd want to start something myself (I had and still have no involvement with this project) but still, if someone dedicated enough wants to start something among members of this forum, I don't see what's so bad about that. And as far as the "leech talent from somewhere else" bit - this is the only Sonic site on the internet whose members are remotely capable of crafting something like that and you damn well know it.
This post has been edited by Hinchy: 15 May 2009 - 05:17 PM

#26 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (Hinchy @ May 15 2009, 06:17 PM)
I personally don't think it's right to stifle all attempts at a revival among interested people.

That's nice.

#27 User is offline Galaxia 

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:47 PM

• Project:degloving infants
  • Wiki edits:48
Seriously? I'm not surprised. I mean, there were pages upon pages of people arguing about a pixel on his head, for fuck's sake.

Kind of speaks a lot about gamer mentality today how graphics = gameplay.

#28 User is offline Dan Genesis 

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:47 PM

• As it was predicted. Plus, this is like some cute sonic-penquin thing
  • Project:KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
  • Wiki edits:321
I was really looking forward to this. If I could do anything besides toss around ideas, I would have loved to help. Oh we. C'est la Vie, as they say.

But really, is it truly necessary to completely stamp out this project?

And for those people that were arguing about the single pixel things, I have one question: Did you ever try placing the object in various environments to see how much the single pixel stuck out?

#29 User is online Skyler 

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:57 PM

• Wiki edits:136
Sunnuvabitch. I can't say I'm very happy, especially since I was hoping we could come together to make a spiritual Sonic 4. I had been working on boss concepts and stage layouts, myself - what will I do with them now? sad.png

#30 User is offline Shadow Hog 

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:01 PM

• Wiki edits:10
Just how far does that ban go, anyway? Obviously, new topics are off-limits (as they should be). But are we talking bans on mentioning it in sigs as well? Y'know, a complete and total "you mention this game outside the 'project over' topic, your ass is banned" ban. Which would be overkill, honestly, but pretty effective in getting it out of memory.

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users