Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: PlaneEd - Genesis plane mappings editor - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

PlaneEd - Genesis plane mappings editor Secret hacking tool!

#1 User is offline qiuu 

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:47 PM

• Project:Blue Ball & Blocks
  • Wiki edits:13
EDIT 11-02-19: Info on latest version: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?s=&...st&p=560421
EDIT 09-10-24: Release information on the additions of the latest version can be found here: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?s=&...st&p=365219

Wiki Link: http://info.sonicretro.org/PlaneED
Download site: http://geoo.digibase.ca/PlaneEd/

After having this editor lie about for a couple of months in a half-finished state, I finally got around to finish it:
It is a graphical application for editing plane mappings, like e.g. the Sonic 2 level select. More applications can be seen reading the notes in the readme on the example project files in the 'samples' folder, essentially though most things using plane mappings.

For those who prefer to ignore the readme file, it shall be noted that the program will terminate instantly if you just execute it.
For actually working, the name of a project file has to be passed to it as commandline parameter. The precise specifications of these files are denoted in the readme.

Windows binary: http://geoo.digibase...laneEd_win32.7z

Source code: http://info.sonicret...d1.2_src.tar.gz
Due to the use of SDL for graphics and a modification of the KENS library for compression handling, it should actually be platform compatible. However apparently the application doesn't run on Mac OS (thanks Puto for trying it out).
The code might be somewhat sloppy, being a mix of C and C++ style and some object oriented programming, it is the first real program using SDL for me though.

The sample project files can also be found in this directory: http://geoo.digibase...aneEd/PrjFiles/

(I likely forgot some notes on various stuff here and in the readme.)

Screenshot courtesy of snkenjoi:
Posted Image
This post has been edited by qiuu: 19 February 2011 - 03:06 PM

#2 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:04 PM

• Sonic Hacking Contest Lead Organiser
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:2,193
This is seriously a good tool. You'll notice files for editing the Sonic 2 Level Select and this is my result:
Posted Image
What's good is that some letters won't fuck up palette wise while something is being selected, which if you've edited the screen before it can be annoying.
Also, for the record I don't have any of those Act 3s selectable, I'd have to do something with the code.

#3 User is online Thorn 

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:25 PM

• Project:Sonic 2 Retro Remix
  • Wiki edits:33
Posted Image

Truly a useful tool. Can't thank qiuu and his editor enough for helping me get this done, or my mission-based idea would've been shot.
(I'll space those lines out tommorow, right now I'm just ecstatic that I got those checkmarks to load :P)
This post has been edited by Thorn: 25 April 2009 - 09:26 PM

#4 User is offline Hanoch 

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:15 AM

• Also known as TheKnock, Birashot
  • Project:everything
  • Wiki edits:8
So its a screen mappings editor? It can edit enigma mappings and tiles as I can see, great work I am using this to create a splash screen or something!

#5 User is offline Hitaxas 

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:53 PM

• SEGA: Sorry Classic Sonic, we are sending you back to 1994
  • Project:Sonic: Super Deformed (head director) - Slowly working on it.
  • Wiki edits:196
EDIT: Got it working... Awesome program
This post has been edited by Hitaxas: 26 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

#6 User is offline SMTP 

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:59 PM

• Wiki edits:59
Oh thank god. Hexediting screen mappings is a HUGE pain in the ass....

#7 User is offline PsychoSk8r 

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:50 AM

• HighKnights
  • Project:30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
  • Wiki edits:19
qiuu for Techie. Oh wait. =P
This tool will be VERY useful. <3

#8 User is offline Hitaxas 

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:08 AM

Maybe someone could take the time and make some project files for this, like the title screen emblem and background, and the like? I tried to write my own, but the program just crashes on me.

#9 User is offline qiuu 

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:17 PM

I uploaded some additional project files, they can be found here: PlaneEd/PrjFiles/
(or all in one archive: PlaneEd/PrjFiles/PrjFiles.7z )

Overall now the 10 title cards for Kid Chameleon and 7 files for Sonic 2, including the title screen.
If anyone wants to add some more, they can be sent to me so I can upload them.

The reason you might have trouble setting up project files is that art is loaded into a different location in VRAM, and doesn't include an empty tile. The very first tile in VRAM is usually empty, and in order not to have duplicates of it, the mappings frequently refer to this one, while the art you load into the editor is in a different position in VRAM. That's what the 'Tile Offset' parameter in the project files is for: essentially, it specifies how many tiles the empty tile is offset (in front) in VRAM compared the first tile which the art file you specified contains. For example, a possible strategy might be looking in the disassembly where the art is decompressed to into VRAM, take that offset, divide it by $20 and use it as value for 'Tile Offset', because the empty tile is that many tiles in front of the address the art gets decompressed to.
(Though for the title screen, the 'Tile Offset' is 0, actually, which shouldn't have caused trouble.)
This post has been edited by qiuu: 04 November 2009 - 02:40 PM

#10 User is offline GT Koopa 

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:46 PM

• Project:Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
  • Wiki edits:6
Has this program been added to the wiki yet?

#11 User is offline Hitaxas 

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:51 PM

View Postqiuu, on Apr 28 2009, 03:17 PM, said:

I uploaded some additional project files, they can be found here: http://207.58.177.17...aneEd/PrjFiles/
(or all in one archive: http://207.58.177.17...les/PrjFiles.7z )

Overall now the 10 title cards for Kid Chameleon and 7 files for Sonic 2, including the title screen.
If anyone wants to add some more, they can be sent to me so I can upload them.

The reason you might have trouble setting up project files is that art is loaded into a different location in VRAM, and doesn't include an empty tile. The very first tile in VRAM is usually empty, and in order not to have duplicates of it, the mappings frequently refer to this one, while the art you load into the editor is in a different position in VRAM. That's what the 'Tile Offset' parameter in the project files is for: essentially, it specifies how many tiles the empty tile is offset (in front) in VRAM compared the first tile which the art file you specified contains. For example, a possible strategy might be looking in the disassembly where the art is decompressed to into VRAM, take that offset, divide it by $20 and use it as value for 'Tile Offset', because the empty tile is that many tiles in front of the address the art gets decompressed to.
(Though for the title screen, the 'Tile Offset' is 0, actually, which shouldn't have caused trouble.)

Thanks for the additional files and the offset explanation, this program is now a valuable asset to my hack. :)

Only one issue. The title BG files, why do the islands not show up?
This post has been edited by Hitaxas: 28 April 2009 - 10:23 PM

#12 User is offline Ayla 

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:42 PM

• I shat on your desk ^^
  • Project:Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
  • Wiki edits:67
Extremely useful and a must-have for any would-be hacker from this day forward. You are truly knowledgeable, qiuu. Excellent work and open source =)
This post has been edited by Ayla: 28 April 2009 - 11:42 PM

#13 User is offline qiuu 

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:28 PM

View PostHitaxas, on Apr 29 2009, 04:51 AM, said:

Thanks for the additional files and the offset explanation, this program is now a valuable asset to my hack. :)

Uh, actually, they do show up (unless there's some obscure islands that I missed).

Did you use TitleBg.txt as project? TitleBg2.txt only contains the water (uses a different mapping file). The latter is used to fill the rest of the plane which is not on-screen at the beginning (so both mappings together take up 64 tiles horizontally, the horizontal size of plane B on the title screen). Don't ask me why the data is split onto two mapping files, but that's the way it is.

#14 User is offline Hitaxas 

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:13 PM

View Postqiuu, on Apr 29 2009, 02:28 PM, said:

View PostHitaxas, on Apr 29 2009, 04:51 AM, said:

Uh, actually, they do show up (unless there's some obscure islands that I missed).

Did you use TitleBg.txt as project? TitleBg2.txt only contains the water (uses a different mapping file). The latter is used to fill the rest of the plane which is not on-screen at the beginning (so both mappings together take up 64 tiles horizontally, the horizontal size of plane B on the title screen). Don't ask me why the data is split onto two mapping files, but that's the way it is.

Yeah, I must have done something to the txt file, I re-saved the one you have hosted, and it works.

#15 User is offline Hitaxas 

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:14 AM

I hate to double post, but I've been having issues with the program yet again, but this time it's a legit issue.

I've been editing the Title screen emblem, only to find out that I cannot select a small selection of tiles:
Posted Image

How could I go about fixing this issue? Am I doing something wrong, or is it just an error in the program?

Edit: Problem fixed, new version of the program soon to be released, I guess. =P
This post has been edited by Hitaxas: 03 May 2009 - 11:57 AM

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users