Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Level 0 - Level Design - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Level 0 - Level Design

#16 User is offline Matwek 

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:49 AM

Thought I would post this here instead of the Artwork section as none of the art is really new, just put together in a different way. Some of the more observent of you will probably recognise previously posted work and 'abandoned' work from scrapped zones.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The mock-ups were designed to try and give the predictable 'tropical zone' design something different, although I think I may have gone a bit too far in the direction of an old ruin.

Seen as this is in the Level Design section I would rather have comments and critiscims on the overall desgin and layout ideas rather than the art itself.

#17 User is offline test-object 

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:33 AM

• By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea I had this effect on you.
  • Wiki edits:1
For the love of Portal and God, keep those sprites for later use! They are indeed too much ruins and in no way enough Tourist Beach, but definitly stick with them.

#18 User is offline Matwek 

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:10 AM

View Posttest-object, on Apr 5 2009, 12:33 PM, said:

For the love of Portal and God, keep those sprites for later use! They are indeed too much ruins and in no way enough Tourist Beach, but definitly stick with them.

The 'ruin' sections aren't mine, I think they were originally done for the water based level.
I do agree that its not quite right for this level but I still feel that we need something to distinguish it from the cliché tropical level. Might be worth bearing in mind what level is coming next as the ruins might not look so out of place if the next level takes place inside its interior (and I don't mean people should go off on a tangent discussing what levels we should have, I mean use it as a way to gather some inspiration for this level).

#19 User is offline tachyglossus aculeatus 

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:14 AM

• shox3
you know what would be cool? If you had some trees with thinner trunks that stood straight and if sonic runs past at top speed, the wind he creates makes them bend in the direction he's running in.

#20 User is offline Phoebius 

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:24 AM

• Coucou
  • Project:iOS Game

View PostMatwek, on Apr 5 2009, 03:10 PM, said:

The 'ruin' sections aren't mine, I think they were originally done for the water based level.

Yes, I did those for the underwater level. I'm not sure if I still want my art to be involved in this project

#21 User is offline Matwek 

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:58 AM

View PostPhoebius, on Apr 5 2009, 02:24 PM, said:

Yes, I did those for the underwater level. I'm not sure if I still want my art to be involved in this project

Fair dos, I kept a copy of all the stuff from the old board just incase but im sure I can dig it up and remove it from my collection.

#22 User is offline BadCopNoDonut 

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:15 PM

• O RLY?
  • Project:Sonic D T
  • Wiki edits:3

View PostMatwek, on Apr 5 2009, 08:58 AM, said:

View PostPhoebius, on Apr 5 2009, 02:24 PM, said:

Fair dos, I kept a copy of all the stuff from the old board just incase but im sure I can dig it up and remove it from my collection.

Well the bricks under it in the second pic were mine. If you wanna use em for various ideas, please, go nuts. Just give credit where its due, which I'm sure won't be a problem, should any of my stuff be used in any sort of release.
This post has been edited by BadCopNoDonut: 05 April 2009 - 08:16 PM

#23 User is offline Phos 

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:02 AM

• Going for the high score on whatever that little bar is
QUOTE (test-object @ Apr 5 2009, 06:33 AM) [post="297635"]Posted Image
I think a hermit crab style enemy would be a visually appealing and fitting enemy for a level that takes place on a beach. If you want to kill it, stand next to it quietly and wait for it to come out. When it does, you spin dash into them quickly, or something like that.

#24 User is offline The Shad 

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:11 AM

• ↑ & ↓ & ↻
  • Wiki edits:83
I actually like that idea. Its a change of pace to the usual typical crabmeats we get.

#25 User is offline Kamon62 

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:27 AM

QUOTE (Phos @ Apr 7 2009, 06:02 PM) [post="298271"]Posted Image
I think a hermit crab style enemy would be a visually appealing and fitting enemy for a level that takes place on a beach. If you want to kill it, stand next to it quietly and wait for it to come out. When it does, you spin dash into them quickly, or something like that.
[/quote]

Your badnik idea is reminding me an awful lot of launchbase's snail badnik. Still a good idea alltogether though. I actually may draw a sketch of what it might look like later. :(

#26 User is offline The KKM 

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

• EXTRAPOLATE REGENERATE
  • Project:Losing control of my life
  • Wiki edits:6
Your badnik idea... sounds like Sonic's version of Mettaurs. Good enough.

#27 User is offline Phos 

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:32 PM

• Going for the high score on whatever that little bar is

View PostKamon62, on Apr 7 2009, 05:27 AM, said:

View PostPhos, on Apr 7 2009, 06:02 PM, said:

View Posttest-object, on Apr 5 2009, 06:33 AM, said:

If you want to include rocky areas on a tourist beach, I have a few ideas. The best one are these big igneous rocks in the Bahamas, snails carve these little holes into the sides of them creating a pitted surface. Each hole is about the size of a thumb nail, and about half an inch deep.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3082/316660..._934ac9f21a.jpg

Your badnik idea is reminding me an awful lot of launchbase's snail badnik. Still a good idea alltogether though. I actually may draw a sketch of what it might look like later. :psyduck:

Rather than coming out at random intervals (at least it seems to me), these would act based on what you do. If you run close to them, they hide, you stand still, thy think you've left, you show them how wrong they are.

#28 User is offline Badassbill 

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:29 AM

This is my interpretation of the concepts shown. I've also took the Genesis style, but developed what I saw from the original games into something new (in the same way the Sonic sprite has been developed). I think this captures more of the Genesis feel, and matches the current sprite style.

Keep in mind this is just a suggestion of background style and not a proposal for final use.

Posted Image
This post has been edited by Badassbill: 11 April 2009 - 09:30 AM

#29 User is offline Matwek 

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (Badassbill @ Apr 11 2009, 03:29 PM) [post="299608"]Posted Image[/quote]

I do quite like how that background is coming along, it reminds me more of a coral reef than the over used island background.
Sand is good too, any chance you could alter it slightly to capture that surreal sonic feel we had with the other sand posted ealier in this topic?

#30 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:42 AM

• A "Community Enigma"?
  • Wiki edits:51
I dig the sand and the background (ocean and clouds), but those palm trees are pretty "Ehhh". The leaves are the worst part. Maybe there needs to be more of them? I don't know. I just don't like how they're sort of angular but sort of not and they're spaced so far apart...

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users