Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Kikizo interviews Yuji Naka - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Kikizo interviews Yuji Naka

#1 User is offline Phos 

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:32 PM

  • Going for the high score on whatever that little bar is
  • Posts: 3318
  • Joined: 21-February 08
  • Gender:Male
http://games.kikizo.com/features/yuji-naka...feb-2009-p1.asp

They ask some decent questions, such as Michael Jackson's music in Sonic 3 (and they linked to QJimbo's video).

some related stuff:
http://games.kikizo.com/news/200902/naka-s...ed-hardware.asp

#2 User is offline evilhamwizard 

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:33 PM

  • Posts: 1145
  • Joined: 16-June 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:109
Okay, if Yuji Naka acknowledged about MJ and Sonic 3, something really funny is going on. While there might be not much left to talk about, what I really want to know is why they're treating it as some kind of game? It doesn't sound like they're being suppressed by something legal at all, they're just hesitant to tell us anything.

Let's actually hope Naka has a chance to tell us more about Sonic someday. :(
This post has been edited by evilhamwizard: 04 February 2009 - 05:59 PM

#3 User is offline Sik 

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:02 PM

  • Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".
  • Posts: 6719
  • Joined: 17-March 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:being an asshole =P
  • Wiki edits:11
OK, this part got me:

Quote

Naka: It's a mystery [laughs]. This information is on a need-to-know basis! [laughs more] One day, when the time comes, I will give you the information!

But this part got me more:

Quote

Kikizo: Well, we'll look forward to that. What's your favourite game ever and why?

Naka:
Lemmings.

That one right after the MJ questions including a link to Qjimbo's video. Coincidence?
This post has been edited by Sik: 04 February 2009 - 06:02 PM

#4 User is offline Ollie 

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:06 PM

  • DIGGY DIGGY HOLE
  • Posts: 1251
  • Joined: 28-May 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK
  • Wiki edits:149

Quote

Naka: It's a mystery [laughs]. This information is on a need-to-know basis! [laughs more] One day, when the time comes, I will give you the information!

Surely this means that there is at least something behind this topic... Right? ....Right!?
This post has been edited by Ollie: 04 February 2009 - 06:06 PM

#5 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:14 PM

  • Cat-herder
  • Posts: 13981
  • Joined: 12-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Berkshire, England
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
More that likely Sega still doesn't want to be linked to a man who everybody thinks is a paedophile...

#6 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:17 PM

  • Fuck it
  • Posts: 7396
  • Joined: 03-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:91
There goes any hope I may have had of working at Wavemaster :P

#7 User is offline Qjimbo 

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:22 PM

  • Your friendly neighbourhood lemming.
  • Posts: 4355
  • Joined: 17-February 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver, BC
  • Wiki edits:69
We don't exactly need his confirmation... :(
This is cool though, but I do cringe at how outdated the video is now, I'm planning to do a new version this summer, if I have time.

#8 User is offline Shadix 

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:08 PM

  • Posts: 956
  • Joined: 26-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:11

View Postevilhamwizard, on Feb 4 2009, 04:33 PM, said:

Okay, if Yuji Naka acknowledged about MJ and Sonic 3, something really funny is going on. While there might be not much left to talk about, what I really want to know is why they're treating it as some kind of game? It doesn't sound like they're being suppressed by something legal at all, they're just hesitant to tell us anything.

Let's actually hope Naka has a chance to tell us more about Sonic someday. :(


Howard Drossin, Roger Hector, and the elusive Sciricco confirmed MJs involvement at very different points in time. I don't believe there was ever a question about that, it was moreso whether or not any of the music made it into the game. In fact didn't hirokazu yasuhara mention something of it at some point?

MJ's involvement and scandal was a huge part of how Howard Drossin ended up writing what little he did for Sonic 3 in the first place, as he was brought by Hector as the backup plan.

It is kindof odd that Jun Senoue and Yuji Naka try to avoid the subject though.

#9 User is offline Scarred Sun 

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:52 PM

  • 走日駆
  • Posts: 3496
  • Joined: 06-February 05
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:San Francisco, CA
  • Project:Conquering the games industry
  • Wiki edits:36,091

View PostShadix, on Feb 4 2009, 07:08 PM, said:

View Postevilhamwizard, on Feb 4 2009, 04:33 PM, said:

Okay, if Yuji Naka acknowledged about MJ and Sonic 3, something really funny is going on. While there might be not much left to talk about, what I really want to know is why they're treating it as some kind of game? It doesn't sound like they're being suppressed by something legal at all, they're just hesitant to tell us anything.

Let's actually hope Naka has a chance to tell us more about Sonic someday. :(


Howard Drossin, Roger Hector, and the elusive Sciricco confirmed MJs involvement at very different points in time. I don't believe there was ever a question about that, it was moreso whether or not any of the music made it into the game. In fact didn't hirokazu yasuhara mention something of it at some point?

MJ's involvement and scandal was a huge part of how Howard Drossin ended up writing what little he did for Sonic 3 in the first place, as he was brought by Hector as the backup plan.

It is kindof odd that Jun Senoue and Yuji Naka try to avoid the subject though.


I think in the case of Senoue and Naka, their NDAs probably are still binding from that time. Thus the "one day!" sentiment. The others don't have as much to lose, as their involvement with Sega has essentially ended.

#10 User is offline Blue Emerald 

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:11 PM

  • Teleportation, yeah!
  • Posts: 1917
  • Joined: 11-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Super Mario Bros. - Version 2.0
  • Wiki edits:4
I'd recently read a transcript of the chat with Howard Drossin at SAGE '08, and from what I'd read, he said that SEGA planned to hire MJ for the compositions, but after they caught word of his sex scandal, they quickly rethought their decision. Jackson never got to work on any of the songs. The similarities in the S3 music and MJ's music were coincidences.
This post has been edited by Blue Emerald: 04 February 2009 - 10:12 PM

#11 User is offline Qjimbo 

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:45 AM

  • Your friendly neighbourhood lemming.
  • Posts: 4355
  • Joined: 17-February 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver, BC
  • Wiki edits:69

View PostBlue Emerald, on Feb 5 2009, 03:11 AM, said:

The similarities in the S3 music and MJ's music were coincidences.

I'm sorry but no. The fact is the credits for the music in Sonic 3 is MJs team, not to mention the A0 sample seals the deal.

#12 User is offline Sik 

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:49 AM

  • Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".
  • Posts: 6719
  • Joined: 17-March 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:being an asshole =P
  • Wiki edits:11
Besides Michael Jackson's composing team aren't MJ himself. Nobody would think in MJ if his team was listed.

#13 User is offline Shadix 

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:58 PM

  • Posts: 956
  • Joined: 26-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:11

View PostQjimbo, on Feb 5 2009, 03:45 AM, said:

View PostBlue Emerald, on Feb 5 2009, 03:11 AM, said:

The similarities in the S3 music and MJ's music were coincidences.

I'm sorry but no. The fact is the credits for the music in Sonic 3 is MJs team, not to mention the A0 sample seals the deal.


This, the fact that Sonic 3 actually has downsampled clips taken directly out of MJs music is more solid than most of the so called evidence that has come up in recent days. They were lazy clips too, you still hear the JAM in the clip.

Edit: Since this thread is inadvertedly spinning off into another MJ discussion.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=YTgBy1B-J40 sounds like Sonic 3 Credits. I never noticed this before. I wonder if there might be greater reasons why Jun wont speak of MJs involvement
This post has been edited by Shadix: 05 February 2009 - 01:19 PM

#14 User is offline Yuzoboy 

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:09 PM

  • Posts: 107
  • Joined: 09-December 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK
I have to say, its a bit odd that Naka and others cannot talk about MJ's exact involvement 17 years after the game's release and with MJ no longer with us. But I am assuming there is something agreed behind the scenes at Sega so its just one of them things that has to come out in due time.

The one bit of evidence that confirms MJ's involvement for me, is the use of Sonic 3's Ending theme as a base for Stranger In Moscow.
http://www.vg247.com/2009/12/03/michael-ja...c-3-soundtrack/

The above article mentions Michael asked Brad to help with the composition in Sonic 3, and legally, MJ and his team have enough rights over the music in Sonic 3 to reuse them in other productions. If only we could confirm which of the other tracks were by MJ and his team...

(Sorry, posted this here by mistake, didnt mean to revive the thread)
This post has been edited by Yuzoboy: 20 February 2011 - 03:12 PM

#15 User is offline SpeedStarTMQ 

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:36 AM

  • Posts: 2154
  • Joined: 20-April 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, England
  • Project:Playing Wii U - ADD ME.
  • Wiki edits:5
QUOTE (Shadix @ Feb 5 2009, 12:58 PM)
They were lazy clips too, you still hear the JAM in the clip.

Listening to the audio link posted above, you can hear the 'JAM', but in the game itself, you can't. just tried with Mega Collection, as well as looking around, so I'm not sure where that audio file comes from- my guess is that someone tried to show similarities by recording it, and then confused it with the actual file.


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users