don't click here

DeanSatan enters the fray!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DeanSatan, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    Ah. Thanks for clarifying that

2. Vaiyt

Vaiyt

Oglio p'ru çeu Member
    Welcome to Sonic Retro, and greetings from Brazil!

No country in the world loved the Genesis more than us. Your creative input helped in bringing fun to our childhoods. Thank you so much.

Quackshot, Psycho Fox, the "Ivo Robotnik" name... you're one of my heroes. It feels bad to know that you aren't working for Sega anymore. Well, I wish you the best opportunities in the future. May your ideas keep making children happy!

3. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    lol thank you

re psychofox, I was saying it shared a code history with decapattack, I had nothing to do with psychofox. I enjoyed playing it on sega master system though.

it should be `sega genesis` not `sega mega drive` in the first part of http://info.sonicretro.org/Dean_Sitton
    the megadrive brand was sold in europe and japan, genesis was the soa us branding.

I worked for soa who made the genesis, not soe who madesupported the megadrive.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I'm aware of the different system branding in different regions. As you'll notice, I linked to both names of the system for posterity; regardless, the system is the same, and the "Mega Drive" label generally holds precedence on our wiki (as do other Japanese names for various characters, games, systems, et al).

It's a minor nitpick, but nothing to worry about. :(

5. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    We generally use the name which is most common internationally. So that's Mega Drive instead of Genesis (which was US only), and Master System instead of Mark III (Japan only).

6. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid

ahhhhhhh.

sorted.

7. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Not to be mean but
    He didn't create a topic. Tweaker had split it from a topic about another developer's comments in 4chan =P

8. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Uh.... uhhhhh... I really want to get in on this... but the early Genesis era isn't my speciality... so, I guess I'll ask something somewhat related to the naming of Robtonik...

A screenshot from the arcade game Sonic the Fighters, were you ever aware of the misspelling in the US and European region's name of "Dr. Robotonic"?
    [​IMG]

Yet, as an unused character and unplayable character, his title was spelled correctly... (Yes, okay, he has a title card as the final boss too.)
    [​IMG]

And uh.... does "Sonic Mars" mean anything to you?

9. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    yes.
    I played the entire sms library and answered 2oo plus phone calls a day about it, being a game councilor.

10. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Huh, nice to see another industry person here.

Now, my question might be a bit strange by comparison, but I have interests in computer programming, which, depending on what kind of job I find, may or may not have me working in the game industry.

How did you really find work in the industry, and what's your experience with what employers want? Basically... what was it you had they wanted, and what sort of education (if any is applicable) was expected?

...And of course, your opinion on being a contractor vs. working for a company would be interesting, too.

I've talked to a variety of people, but haven't had quite this chance. (I spoke to Howard Drossin once, but he was a music guy... which I am not. X_x)

11. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
  12. Metal-Geo

Metal-Geo

Toot toot Member
    Oh whoa. In '95? Specifically a Mario & Sonic at the Olympics game, or just the idea of putting Mario and Sonic in one game?

13. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    We are kindred spirits. I have the entire US SMS library. Fantastic machine. I may have even spoken to you, as I used to call the sega hint line on occasion.

I'm definitely gonna pick your brain now. First up, can you offer some insight into what the management was like during the Tonka years? Thats a very unexplored area in sega history that I doubt many even know about. I've heard stories about mismanagement, but never a first hand account. Seeing as you saw the transition from Tonka back to SOA, can you give some stories about what it was like?

14. TSSZNews

TSSZNews

First @ Something or Other Banned
    The Update Desk
    Occasional JOURNALISM
    I'll throw in a question.

I know you discussed a bit the thinking behind the name "Robotnik," but I wonder if there were any Cold War influences behind that name.

I ask given the combination of two factors: First, the relatively close proximity of the end of that conflict (with the fall of the Soviet Union and the improvement of US-Russia relations and all) and Sonic's debut in 1991. Second, "Robotnik" just sounds like a stereotypical Russian name to me, and given that you say "Ivo" sounded like "evil" to you...

There's also the fact that you worked for Sega in 1989, also around the time all these world events were taking place.

I just wonder if those events had any influence on you in choosing the name. Did any Cold War relic survive in Robotnik?

15. Flygon

Flygon

16. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I have little to add here, because I know I have way too many questions, and that may get a tad annoying.

So instead, I'll just say; you worked on Decap Attack and Kid Chameleon, two of my favourite games ever. Thanks, man. I love you.

17. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    a game like track & field based on the olympics with sega n nintendo characters competing in events.

18. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    Sweet! When you worked for Sega, did you get any free Sonic/Sega merchandise?

19. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    take all this with a grain of salt
    oddly I did start at just that time but cant connect the two events.
    my only connection/knowledge of the name was my sisters boyfriend at the time from croatia named ivo
    the term robotnik was coined long before I came along as a worker or automaton, I just attached it to him.
    also there are both industrial and revolutionary vibes to the game.

20. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    If we're going to that extreme, then Sonic is nothing more than a luddite -- look at the way ending a zone culminates in him destroying Robotnik's technology, not just the boss, but the capsule as well.