Sonic Reunited Formely Sonic Extended Remix.
Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:23 PM
- The sky is a bland cyan color, the kind you'd find in Paint's default palette. A deeper blue with a gradient that got progressively brighter would help it immensely.
- Loop needs to be replaced. Chunks of 8x8 sprites don't look good to me at all. I'd suggest you aim for creating chunks of at least 32x32 pixels, Look at the tiles from Tidal Tempest or Emerald Hill for some ideas.
- Ocean is too choppy. Here is a situation where less detail is better. Make the majority of the ocean that is closer to Sonic a pure blue, and the area of the ocean closest to the horizon can have the ripples. Simple, short horizontal lines and dots will also look better than the curly waves you have now. Look at the ocean in Emerald Hill as an example.
- Those weird, green Xs have to go. Big islands will look much better. I'd suggest you start with just a green hill as your base, then build it up from there with more details.
- Clouds are too plain, but they're off to a fairly good start. My suggestion is to create the clouds first in an image program (Photoshop is best, because you can split the image into 8x8 squares to make it easier to redraw the clouds into your level editor), and then try to copy that design in your level editor. The shading you have on those clouds is decent, but try to spread it out more when you make bigger clouds. That is, if you intend to make them thick like the clouds in Emerald Hill's background. If, however, you're aiming for a more Green Hill style of clouds, perhaps starting with just a few short, thin airbrush strokes would be better, then you can build up from your strokes to make it look more like a cloud.
I hope this helps you out.
Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:09 PM
Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:27 AM
You see, at first I was trying to learn hacking by lurking in the SR forums, and making all of those shitty hacks that aimed to be the best, like a S1EE replica or a true Sonic the hedgehog 4. I posted them on SSRG, and at that time nobody really knew what makes a good Sonic hack, especially in SSRG of that time.
Even after posting my hack here, I didn't think this hack was gonna be good at all, and I was wrong when people liked it. That was where stuff went wrong. I just got one positive feedback and I soon thought everything my hand touches turns to awesomeness, but it didn't.
First, it started being seen in the stupid posts I made (OMG OMG I FINISHED GHZ LAYOUT, OMG I HAVE AN OPTION SCREEN!) but then it got worst with the music I posted, the character plan and the worst: Level Art.
I also made a lot of shitty promises (OK I'LL DO IT. HMM MAYBE IT COULD BE DONE. YEA I MIGHT ADD THAT TOMMOROW).
After my computer crashed and I lost the backup I right away took the older one and started rebuilding it. And well, it turned out to be awful. Then I came to Animemaster to help me with the art. It wasn't finished and I was too lazy to try and edit it myself. That's another problem of mine (and everyone): laziness.
Laziness makes everything with potential to turn into garbage, like this hack.
For instance, that crap enemy I posted looked awful, because I didn't put any fucking effort into it. Same with the dukebot (its not even duke nukem for fucks sake!)
Sorry for the swearing, Im just pissed on how dumb I can act in stressy situations like a hacking contest deadline.
I and sega have the same thing in common actually. They made sonic 3 and got positive feedback (over their head) and they made Sonic 3D Blast and Xtreme (which got canceled)
Just like me, I made a screen, got positive rating, made shittier screens.
tl;dr I'm just sorry for the way I acted, I let people down with dissapointment, caused ear rape and sometimes burnt eyes. I'm not gonna say im taking a break, im not going to mention anything I'm working on. Even if I do work on something, don't expect anything good.
Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:47 AM
Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:30 AM
Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:44 AM
@dsrb: too late.
Its partially my fault as well, I kept nagging you to finish and you just rushed it and it turned out to what it is now.
You had stuff on you, it wasn't your fault. I kept asking for something. If anything, blame me.
@Tweaker: Eh, sorry about that. Was there any rule that says not to blank posts? Even then, I wont do it again.