don't click here

Unreleased Sonic X-Treme Footage

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Tweaker, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Right, so here's the scoop, dudes.

A few days back, a member by the name Kiroziki made a topic in the General Sonic Discussion forum. This topic involved the publicity and release of a couple of previously-unreleased videos of Sonic X-Treme, produced by Chris Senn, known to be one of the game's developers. Since this video had never seen the light of day before, it was a pleasant surprise; however, it came to light that it was no such good news for Chris Senn.

You see, during about 2006 or so, Chris Senn distributed several videos (including the two in question) to a choice few people. Shortly after, however, he was contacted by Ofer Alon—the designer of the two featured levels—with a request not to publish the two videos. He obliged, and the few people who had recieved the video were sworn to a vow of silence regarding the videos. And for a while, the situation was resolved.

Once these videos got reposted, I was contacted by Sik with a message by Chris Senn regarding the videos. He requested that the videos be taken down, but I was curious as to why, so I sent him an email inquiring as to the situation. Mr. Senn fully explained the situation as I described it above, and after a talk with the forum staff, we happily obliged to his request. Luckily, not too many people had seen the topic, so it was assumed to have been a crisis averted.

Come earlier today, though, I was contacted by resident scener PACHUKA with a YouTube link containing a 15 second clip of the video in question. Intrigued, I forwarded the link to Senn, asking him if there was any point it trying to continue keeping this under wraps. After some delegation between him and some of the Tech Members, it was decided that, since the materials were already going public, that we should go through with a formal release.

So I present to you the videos in question:
    New Paths - PC level (YouTube)
    New Worlds - Saturn level (YouTube)

(Mirrors and/or re-encodes would be appreciated for these—they're rather large)

You may or may not have seen one of these after PACHUKA's release of the videos for X-CulT. However, the second video was not spread so thin, so this should be new to all of you. Neither of these levels were featured in previous releases regarding Sonic X-Treme content—it's all fresh, folks!

In addition to the release of these videos, Chris Senn himself is going to provide us with specific developmental insight—all the juicy details, bits, and bops about the levels. It's sure to be very interesting. :)

Anyway, enjoy! I hope everyone can feel humbled to be graced with another piece of lost Sonic X-Treme history. :(

2. monkey

monkey

no enhanced abilities Member
    Whoa, that actually looks like it might have been a good 3D Sonic game at one point. Props to Senn for being a good sport

3. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    This is quite a surprise. Good to see PACHUKA up to his old tricks again.

4. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Ah, damn the signal strength in my backyard. 57 minutes.

And rising...?

5. Phugolz

Phugolz

Banned
    Hey, any of you lame ass admins want to change my handle to Phugolz plz?

6. setz

setz

Oldbie
    That looks like it would be a blast to play, it just looks so much different than anything else I've seen in gaming. I would've really liked to have seen this finished.

7. Arctides

Arctides

I am a bloated bag of hate. Oldbie
    This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.

:| I'd wager a mirror is in order?

8. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I have a Collector Account on Rapidshare, and I'd be glad to mirror, but I can't transfer that file by myself, only the one who uploaded it can transfer it, given that I tell him the login for my account (which I am willing to)

Except that Tweaker is sleeping :\

edit: I found a way to trick Rapidshare and let me reupload it. But I'll need time.

9. TSSZNews

TSSZNews

First @ Something or Other Banned
    The Update Desk
    Occasional JOURNALISM
    "The future of the community as a whole" rested on something you ended up caving on and releasing anyway not a week later?

Yeeeeeeeah.

10. nineko

nineko

italy
  11. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Am I the only one that thinks it didn't look that fun?... I mean it doesn't look awful, but I think it'd be kind of boring. Just an average game. Either way, it's good to see new footage. Maybe a demo will come someday.

12. Sui Eel

Sui Eel

captan Member
    Thanks for the reupload

Naka was the reason this was canceled right? Something about it using the NiGHTS engine that Naka didn't like, or something of the sort? I can't remember the full reason, all I can recall was looking forward to this game when I was younger and it never came out, could have been gold.

13. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Um, sorry, but I thought we had sent a message to you about this or Tweaker didn't have time? ._.

14. TSSZNews

TSSZNews

First @ Something or Other Banned
    The Update Desk
    Occasional JOURNALISM
    Oh he did—in quick fashion, actually. That's what I was responding to, and no joke—that's the language he used if I didn't lay off on the story last week.

15. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    XD It was all in a hurry =P

16. Kiroziki

Kiroziki

Well it looks like my work here is done, well I still have more to release. After the personal attack I got from Chris, I don't see why I should hold back what else I have.

17. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Unless I'm treading on ground that shouldn't be... trotten, why is cutefluffykittens pissed?

18. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I've added the link to the second video. Check the first post for links.

This totally lacks context. I didn't count on this turn of events at all, so you should in fact be happy—you helped this turn out better than it would have had you made a story on it instantly. Patience is a virtue. :(

You're free to make a story now if you wish, though!
    Considering you started this mess in the first place, you'd do well to avoid it. Chris is going to release everything as he sees fit, so I suggest you back down and let him take care of it.

Your spiteful violation of Chris Senn's trust is not something to be admired—quite frankly, you're a dick for it. You're just fortunate in that you haven't caused any permanent, irreversible damage when it comes to Senn and Alon's personal relations.

I asked him not to make a news story the first time these videos were posted, under the pretenses that it may have severe negative consequences. Now that the distribution is no longer an issue, this no longer applies and he somehow feels cheated because of it. Had he decided not to honor my request, though, I'm betting things wouldn't have worked out this way.

The details aren't what's important, though—the videos are! Let's try and get back properly on topic, please.

19. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    So that second video. The Saturn one.

Wow, that looks extremely impressive. That's a pretty awesome idea to get around the relatively low poly count the saturn pushed out - have levels that revealed themselves as you played.

That level looked really impressive.

20. nineko

nineko

italy
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.