Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Target format discussion. - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Target format discussion. ATM, PC executable. But please, discuss! :)

#16 User is offline The Taxman 

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:44 PM

• Project:Retro Engine & Related Projects
  • Wiki edits:15

View PostAxel Letterman, on Dec 8 2008, 09:42 AM, said:

View Postsynchronizer, on Dec 6 2008, 05:47 AM, said:

Is there anyway to make a ppc mac version? Sonic Retro is the only Sonic engine I know that can create one.

As many have said, Sonic Retro is gonna be focused on the x86 (Windows, Linux, OpenSolaris, etc) for the time being.
But maybe sometime in the future there will be a PPC version (For PPC Macs and Wii).

I think he might mean the Retro-Sonic Engine, which has an OSX port along with the Windows one. Man I'm getting sick of people mixing up Retro-Sonic with Sonic Retro... and this new project name isn't helping either :P

#17 User is offline synchronizer 

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:52 PM

• Wiki edits:19
Yes, that is what I meant. The Retro-Sonic engine.

#18 User is offline NinjaMan 

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:27 PM

View PostThe Taxman, on Dec 7 2008, 06:44 PM, said:

View PostAxel Letterman, on Dec 8 2008, 09:42 AM, said:

View Postsynchronizer, on Dec 6 2008, 05:47 AM, said:

Is there anyway to make a ppc mac version? Sonic Retro is the only Sonic engine I know that can create one.

As many have said, Sonic Retro is gonna be focused on the x86 (Windows, Linux, OpenSolaris, etc) for the time being.
But maybe sometime in the future there will be a PPC version (For PPC Macs and Wii).

I think he might mean the Retro-Sonic Engine, which has an OSX port along with the Windows one. Man I'm getting sick of people mixing up Retro-Sonic with Sonic Retro... and this new project name isn't helping either :P

Huh? Linux isn't x86 specific. If you can compile something on x86 Linux, you can compile it on any Linux-supported architecture which has the libraries needed, including PPC. OS X is similar enough to Linux that chances are if the engine compiles under Linux, it would be reasonably simple for someone who knows their way around [Insert programming language the engine uses here] to create an Mac port.

Of course, the larger issues may be that [idle speculation] we don't have any OS X developers helping out, or that we'll be using a closed source engine, [/idle speculation] I dunno.

#19 User is offline Afti 

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:57 AM

• ORIGINAL MACHINE
  • Wiki edits:336
Dreamcast/Wii/PC using portable C code.

All more than powerful enough for 2D Sonic, all easy to run homebrew on, and all have a well-developed homebrew scene.

Don't call any system-specific libraries, and use basically the same source for all three.

#20 User is offline TmEE 

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:06 AM

• Watermelons are good stuff
  • Project:Mélodie, WaveMelon Träkker, bunch o other stahv.
  • Wiki edits:11
Saturn is much less pain than its turned out to be... learning the system would take time though, but that's so with any system. It took me over a year to get to know most of the aspects about MD. Since I have most tools already developed, messing with Saturn would be easier as I just have to adjust my tools for Saturn, not code everything from scratch...

I would like to see a VERY platform specific and optimized non-portable version (platform being a game console that is emulated, and emulated well).
This post has been edited by TmEE: 11 December 2008 - 05:40 AM

#21 User is offline RamiroR 

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

• Wiki edits:9
OMG, now I see why somebody deleted my topic, the format is not decided yet, I'm so sorry
well, I would like it to be for Sega CD,better sound,better music, less disaasster, musicians happy :argh:
and the most important, I think so,people is more experienced with 68000

And I would be glad to contribute if it is for either Sega CD or MD/Genny

EDIT: I totally agree with Insanity, I would also like it to be for Dreamcast, though is harder, and tools are required, and more time is would be needed, and I wouldn't be able to contribute.Edit2: AND, most of we have a Dreamcast:), don't we?
This post has been edited by RamiroR: 17 January 2009 - 09:08 PM

#22 User is offline Rokkan 

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:43 PM

• Wiki edits:4

View PostRamiroR, on Jan 17 2009, 06:31 PM, said:

EDIT: I totally agree with Insanity, I would also like it to be for Dreamcast, though is harder, and tools are required, and more time is would be needed, and I wouldn't be able to contribute.Edit2: AND, most of we have a Dreamcast:), don't we?

PC Users > DC Users
PC is easier to program and handle, and not everyone in this forum has a DC, a.k.a. me.
>:

#23 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:50 AM

Fuck that shit, we need PSP.

#24 User is offline Phoebius 

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:08 AM

• Coucou
  • Project:iOS Game
PSP would be awesome.
You could even use Brunni's library :p

http://brunni.palib....e=pspsoft_oslib

http://oslib.palib.info/samples/
This post has been edited by Phoebius: 18 January 2009 - 06:09 AM

#25 User is offline Ollie 

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:40 AM

• DIGGY DIGGY HOLE
  • Wiki edits:149
Geez... Just keep it as a PC Fan Game for now. You're going to be making it wayyyy to complicated making it for different platforms, we haven't even got a finished PC Build, so lets get that out of the way first, please.

#26 User is offline Stealth 

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:54 AM

• Project:Sonic Megamix, SonED2, Engine02, [...]
  • Wiki edits:19

View PostOllie, on Jan 18 2009, 03:40 AM, said:

Geez... Just keep it as a PC Fan Game for now. You're going to be making it wayyyy to complicated making it for different platforms, we haven't even got a finished PC Build, so lets get that out of the way first, please.

That's a pretty ignorant way to look at it. The PC is the worst primary target if you want to think about other systems later. You have to assign the lowest specs and get a handle on the restrictions/formats ahead of time, and once you have that, you might as well start trying to build for each platform simultaneously. All it's going to take is to get a functioning I/O library on each platform before you start writing everything else, which, if you've done it right, will be common to all builds

You underestimate the importance of one of the highest-priority decisions

#27 User is offline RamiroR 

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:59 AM

View PostRave, on Jan 18 2009, 02:43 AM, said:

PC Users > DC Users
PC is easier to program and handle, and not everyone in this forum has a DC, a.k.a. me.
>:

Anyway , it's easier to do it for Sega CD, though is a bit undiscovered right now.The bad thing would be the color limitation..

View PostStealth, on Jan 18 2009, 09:54 AM, said:

View PostOllie, on Jan 18 2009, 03:40 AM, said:

That's a pretty ignorant way to look at it. The PC is the worst primary target if you want to think about other systems later. You have to assign the lowest specs and get a handle on the restrictions/formats ahead of time, and once you have that, you might as well start trying to build for each platform simultaneously. All it's going to take is to get a functioning I/O library on each platform before you start writing everything else, which, if you've done it right, will be common to all builds

You underestimate the importance of one of the highest-priority decisions

what he said :ohdear:
This post has been edited by RamiroR: 18 January 2009 - 06:57 AM

#28 User is offline Rokkan 

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:23 AM

• Wiki edits:4
MOST OF US have a Mega Drive instead
ALL OF US have a PC
I know how to read English better than you, thanks.

#29 User is offline RamiroR 

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:06 AM

OK, sorry, but first, calm down man!,well, so should it be made for Megadrive?, I just can't stop suggesting genesis, because is the most easy and PC might be messy,are you going to contribute if we do it for PC?,if yes,well,at least you have a reason.

I have 2 reasons to choose Megadrive

-Easy programming
-What you said, most of us have a Megadrive(Though I haven't, but I'd like to emulate it)
-Many emulators emulate Megadrive with no problem
And the bad things:

-WE will need tools to make maps and stuff
-It is going to be need musicians that can manage to do a music with trackers(also here I'm saying that we're going to need a sound engine and a tracker)

Ok, Now, Sega/Mega CD
Good reasons:
-Musicians will be able to do the musics the way they want as Sega/Mega CD uses Redbook Audio :(
-The game can be longer
-And, some graphic differences, that scaling,rotating stuff
Bad reasons:
-Sega CD still is all a mystery
-Big ISO's

PD: To everybody, please, don't FIGHT choosing a format,please,just discuss ;)

#30 User is offline Ell678 

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:33 AM

• Am I Annoying You?
  • Project:Sonic: Incursion
  • Wiki edits:6
As Tweaker said the next major Sonic game would not have been on the Megadrive, so why bother? While yes, it would definitely be awesome to play this on real hardware, everyone here has a computer. That means everyone can play it. And I thought the whole 'what would the next Sonic be like' was over with? Why shouldn't it be on the computer? If you plan to port this to different mediums later then as Stealth says it's not a good idea - but you don't even have a playable version yet.

And make this for the Megadrive? What? That would be a bit illogical wouldn't it? That's extremely limiting for a project that is intending to capture the feel of a 'new' Sonic game.

Seriously, shouldn't you argue less and develop more? The computer is a perfectly good platform to develop for.

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users