Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: TEMPORARY THREAD, TO EXPLAIN WHAT'S GOING ON - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

TEMPORARY THREAD, TO EXPLAIN WHAT'S GOING ON If you have something to read for the moment, it is that thread.

#1 User is offline Phoebius 

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:35 PM

• Coucou
  • Project:iOS Game
Ok, so as you may read, the Sonic 4 project is moving on retro.
The new name is Project : Sonic Retro. We'll keep most of the work already done, so that's why I'm currently moving some threads, etc... It may take a while before all is moved and well organized, so be patient. I'm kinda letting my leadership place, but I'll stay moderator on this subforum for the moment. Don't worry if all the threads are empty for now.

#2 User is offline Mad Echidna 

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:52 PM

• Gone
  • Wiki edits:4
Well, I'm glad it's not called Sonic 4 anymore. Sorry, but I really don't believe unpaid volunteers are capable of making a game that is not only as good as Sonic 3 but is as much of an improvement over it as 3 was over 2.

#3 User is offline Qjimbo 

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:07 PM

• Your friendly neighbourhood lemming.
  • Wiki edits:69

View PostMad Echidna, on Nov 9 2008, 08:52 PM, said:

Well, I'm glad it's not called Sonic 4 anymore. Sorry, but I really don't believe unpaid volunteers are capable of making a game that is not only as good as Sonic 3 but is as much of an improvement over it as 3 was over 2.

Surprising comment coming from someone who uses Ubuntu Linux. Not that I disagree or anything =P

#4 User is offline Mad Echidna 

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:39 PM

• Gone
  • Wiki edits:4
Eh ehm :P I'm sure you are just teasing me, but for the good of the order I'd like to point out that the main technologies that make Ubuntu great, such as Nautilus, were made by large corporations.

#5 User is offline synchronizer 

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:21 PM

• Wiki edits:19
Will I still be allowed in as a member like I am at the other Sonic 4 Forum? My experience so far has been really interesting and fun. :objection:
This post has been edited by synchronizer: 09 November 2008 - 05:21 PM

#6 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:23 PM

View Postsynchronizer, on Nov 9 2008, 05:21 PM, said:

Will I still be allowed in as a member like I am at the other Sonic 4 Forum? My experience so far has been really interesting and fun. :objection:

Of course. You're posting in the forum right now, aren't you? :rolleyes:

#7 User is offline Qjimbo 

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:25 PM

• Your friendly neighbourhood lemming.
  • Wiki edits:69
I'll be working on a script to port the posts over from the old forum soon.

#8 User is offline Matwek 

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:56 PM

View PostQjimbo, on Nov 9 2008, 11:25 PM, said:

Are you bringing everything across or just best content we have so far?

#9 User is offline synchronizer 

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:06 PM

View PostTweaker, on Nov 9 2008, 05:23 PM, said:

View Postsynchronizer, on Nov 9 2008, 05:21 PM, said:

Of course. You're posting in the forum right now, aren't you? ;)

Ah! Of course, what was I thinking. I suppose that I thought the administartors would block the Project: Sonic Retro threads or something like that. But I guess that now that the project has switched here, it's more accessible to others. I'm glad there's nothing for me to worry about. :rolleyes:
This post has been edited by synchronizer: 09 November 2008 - 07:06 PM

#10 User is offline Phoebius 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:16 PM

• Coucou
  • Project:iOS Game

View PostQjimbo, on Nov 9 2008, 11:25 PM, said:

Good. But I'd like some help too with the zone threads, I just made the tropical and canadian ones.
BJCharles, what are doing? :p

#11 User is offline Authur 

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:48 PM

I'm glad you guys are still doing this. I still affectionately call it Sonic the Hedgehog 4, because I would love to play that game for hours on end! ...however, I need to know straight from you guys what the overall purpose is. Are you guys trying to get Sega to make retro Sonic games and/or Sonic games with retro concepts overshadowing the pretty graphics and bumpin music...

...or are you guys trying to take the matter in your own hands and come up with something that will inspire Sega to get their heads out of their asses and maybe even get Yuji Naka back...

...or a different outcome of #2 involving mass distribution of downloads to the Wii VC and other downloading services?

Or something like that? What's the mindset?

#12 User is offline Phoenix 

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:49 PM

• Has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like

View PostAuthur, on Nov 15 2008, 02:48 PM, said:

I'm glad you guys are still doing this. I still affectionately call it Sonic the Hedgehog 4, because I would love to play that game for hours on end! ...however, I need to know straight from you guys what the overall purpose is. Are you guys trying to get Sega to make retro Sonic games and/or Sonic games with retro concepts overshadowing the pretty graphics and bumpin music...

...or are you guys trying to take the matter in your own hands and come up with something that will inspire Sega to get their heads out of their asses and maybe even get Yuji Naka back...

...or a different outcome of #2 involving mass distribution of downloads to the Wii VC and other downloading services?

Or something like that? What's the mindset?

#1 for the most part. It's sort of like a third-party Sonic game, like Sonic CD, which will use concepts from the old games as well as our own, some of which will be put in even though it would never have been used in a game made by the original Sonic Team. It'll be completely free, and most likely only downloadable for PC, unless we can get a Mac gaming engine. Otherwise, Mac users will need Virtual PC or a different PC emulator. Anyways, it will have original music (unless there's a remix of a song from a previous Sonic game that we can't pass up), and, apart from using the general clich├ęs that any Sonic game must have, completely original level art and layouts. Our goal is to create the feel of an original Sonic game, and try to make it as good as, if not better than, any of the originals.

...and the majority of this site will freak if #2 happens.

#13 User is offline synchronizer 

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:55 PM

If you guys could find a mac gaming engine, I would be so thankful. There is the Retro Sonic engine by Taxman, and it seems like it is very good. Why not try that? Anyway, please think over the possibility of making a mac version. Thank you.
This post has been edited by synchronizer: 01 December 2008 - 03:55 PM

#14 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:42 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostPhoenix, on Dec 1 2008, 03:49 PM, said:

It's sort of like a third-party Sonic game, like Sonic CD, which will use concepts from the old games as well as our own, some of which will be put in even though it would never have been used in a game made by the original Sonic Team.
That's like the opposite of what we were originally seeking with this project.

#15 User is offline Mobiethian 

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:20 AM

• Graphics Artist/Developer
  • Project:Sonic Mobius
  • Wiki edits:29
As some of you may already know, we are in the process of changing project leaders. Phoebius no longer wants to lead for reasons of his own. Matwek has been chosen as a project leader and we're working on selecting one more member to help lead the project.

At this point we are still searching for one more member to fill in a leader position so if anybody would like to take the job, feel free to express some interest. It may also be approriate to explain why you would like to help lead and what you can do to assist with steering the project in the right direction.

Is Qjimbo still leading??...

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users