Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Zone 05 : "City Zone" - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...
 

Zone 05 : "City Zone"

#46 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:22 PM

  • Posts: 12389
  • Joined: 27-June 04
  • Gender:Male
Am I the only one who likes this sunset look? I think it has some awesome contrast with the foreground and generally looks superb. Granted, you could recolor the buildings to look less flat and more like there's actual texture to them that the light is shining on, but I digress—I'm really digging the overall feel you've set up.

#47 User is offline Icewarrior 

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:24 PM

  • I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!!
  • Posts: 496
  • Joined: 08-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:France

View PostTweaker, on Jan 5 2009, 10:22 PM, said:

Am I the only one who likes this sunset look? I think it has some awesome contrast with the foreground and generally looks superb. Granted, you could recolor the buildings to look less flat and more like there's actual texture to them that the light is shining on, but I digress—I'm really digging the overall feel you've set up.


Perhaps then, with buildings and even animations changed (depending on the sky color), we can have something like this:
Act1- Sunset Sky
Act2 and 3- Night

#48 User is offline fifthelephant 

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:50 PM

  • Posts: 151
  • Joined: 04-January 09
  • Gender:Male
I still feel like the colour scheme of the level could be improved upon, so I am throwing in a pallette swap for the foreground too. I think the current ice blue over a dark blue background isn't enough of a contrast perhaps. So just for fun -

Posted Image
Posted Image
This post has been edited by fifthelephant: 05 January 2009 - 04:50 PM

#49 User is offline Matwek 

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:22 PM

  • Posts: 659
  • Joined: 19-July 08
  • Gender:Male
I think the orange could work in the background if it was used sparingly to give the city a sort of glow/haze but as stated before we already have an orange heavy background for the Circus level, so maybe a different colour?

Posted Image
Also if we stick with orange it begins to look a bit too much like Chemical Plant Zone

EDIT: personally I would like to see an attempt at a daytime city level, maybe with it getting dirtier the lower you go and bright crisp colours near the top, like your classic 80's sci-fi view of the future (or like Project Eden for anyone whos played that)
This post has been edited by Matwek: 05 January 2009 - 05:29 PM

#50 User is offline Rokkan 

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:02 PM

  • Posts: 794
  • Joined: 07-September 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:4
QUOTE (fifthelephant @ Jan 5 2009, 06:50 PM) [post="263550"]Posted Image
Posted Image[/quote]

Not a wise color choice. This structure is not made of concrete or any rock-ish material, it's made of metal, you can clearly see in the texture. That light-brown gives the sensation that is made of rock or brick. Blue really fits better.

#51 User is offline PC2 

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:36 PM

  • GenMobile > 3DS
  • Posts: 1743
  • Joined: 23-July 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
  • Wiki edits:422
QUOTE (fifthelephant @ Jan 5 2009, 04:50 PM) [post="263550"]Posted Image
Posted Image[/quote]I have to agree with Rave... This one reminds me of sand or something. D: It doesn't blend well at all with the background. A bit too much contrast for me.
This post has been edited by PC2: 05 January 2009 - 07:37 PM

#52 User is offline fifthelephant 

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:57 PM

  • Posts: 151
  • Joined: 04-January 09
  • Gender:Male
QUOTE (PC2 @ Jan 6 2009, 12:36 AM) [post="263640"]Posted Image
Posted Image[/quote]I have to agree with Rave... This one reminds me of sand or something. D: It doesn't blend well at all with the background. A bit too much contrast for me.
[/quote]
I was going for a concrete look... I was going to suggest it be called "concrete jungle zone", I thought it would be kind of fun.

#53 User is offline Rika Chou 

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:24 PM

  • Adopt
  • Posts: 5055
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:CA US
  • Wiki edits:4
Oh gawd no. I really don't want to see bad palette swaps of existing art. If you think it needs a different color scheme, then I think it would need completely new art as well. The level was designed with a certain look, a certain feel in mind. If you drastically change the palette like that it totally takes that all away.

#54 User is offline Phoenix 

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:01 PM

  • Has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like
  • Posts: 197
  • Joined: 23-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Green Hill
I kind of like the sunset look as well. I mean, the buildings would have to be darker. MUCH darker, although we could fit some white lights in there with it.

#55 User is offline fifthelephant 

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:55 PM

  • Posts: 151
  • Joined: 04-January 09
  • Gender:Male

View PostRika Chou, on Jan 6 2009, 02:24 AM, said:

Oh gawd no. I really don't want to see bad palette swaps of existing art. If you think it needs a different color scheme, then I think it would need completely new art as well. The level was designed with a certain look, a certain feel in mind. If you drastically change the palette like that it totally takes that all away.


I can understand people who are against pallette swaps of the original sonic game art, but swapping pallettes of new art should be welcomed if the change is for the better (even if you don't necessarily like the swaps that I have done).

Besides, the original art doesn't look like metal, it looks like ice or perhaps a kind of glass. Most cities aren't even made of ice, metal or glass, most are concrete or brick. So while the current art isn't bad, it certainly isn't suited to the city theme (I'm talking foreground).

#56 User is offline Rika Chou 

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:14 PM

  • Adopt
  • Posts: 5055
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:CA US
  • Wiki edits:4

View Postfifthelephant, on Jan 6 2009, 07:55 PM, said:

Besides, the original art doesn't look like metal, it looks like ice or perhaps a kind of glass. Most cities aren't even made of ice, metal or glass, most are concrete or brick. So while the current art isn't bad, it certainly isn't suited to the city theme (I'm talking foreground).

Sonic art is supposed to be abstract, not realistic....

Anyway, I guess it's none of my business.

#57 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:39 PM

  • Posts: 7166
  • Joined: 26-July 06
  • Gender:Not Telling
Sunset is awful. It ruins the star background. On top of that, doesn't the Circus level have a similar theme?

#58 User is offline Rokkan 

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:41 PM

  • Posts: 794
  • Joined: 07-September 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:4

View Postfifthelephant, on Jan 6 2009, 03:55 PM, said:

View PostRika Chou, on Jan 6 2009, 02:24 AM, said:

Oh gawd no. I really don't want to see bad palette swaps of existing art. If you think it needs a different color scheme, then I think it would need completely new art as well. The level was designed with a certain look, a certain feel in mind. If you drastically change the palette like that it totally takes that all away.


I can understand people who are against pallette swaps of the original sonic game art, but swapping pallettes of new art should be welcomed if the change is for the better (even if you don't necessarily like the swaps that I have done).

Besides, the original art doesn't look like metal, it looks like ice or perhaps a kind of glass. Most cities aren't even made of ice, metal or glass, most are concrete or brick. So while the current art isn't bad, it certainly isn't suited to the city theme (I'm talking foreground).


First of all, yes, we like changes for the better, but this isn't better, is it?
This is a Robotnik city, thus, it must be made of metal. Scrap Brain wasn't made of concrete, nor Death Egg. And I have yet to see a badnik made of concrete.
And you can clearly see in the texture that the structures are made of this kind of metal, but with a bit of surrealistic detail added to it, which, like Rika Chou said, is all about Classic Sonic.
Also, if it really were made of glass or ice, it would be a lot more brighter and shinier than that, and would have transparency applied to it in the mid-tone.

#59 User is offline fifthelephant 

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:04 PM

  • Posts: 151
  • Joined: 04-January 09
  • Gender:Male
I still think the pallette is a bit wrong, maybe I was going too extreme with my edits. So how about this as a bit more refined (ignore the background as I was just playing with different colours etc), I've just made the metal look a bit more like brushed steel or something... Nothing too extreme, it's just a tweak.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#60 User is offline Rika Chou 

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:08 PM

  • Adopt
  • Posts: 5055
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:CA US
  • Wiki edits:4
Oh hey, by the way, that thing in the top left of the BG in that shot was stolen from another game. It's likley that no one will ever recognize it though. Also the stars were heavily inspired by the ones in SSZ from Sonic CD... but those can easily be changed.
This post has been edited by Rika Chou: 08 January 2009 - 06:10 PM

  • 5 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
    Locked
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users