Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Drawing in HD - Art Tutorials - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 5 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Drawing in HD - Art Tutorials With Adobe Illustrator - By Vincent

#1 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:29 PM

  • Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Character Artist
  • Posts: 1252
  • Joined: 03-May 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD
  • Wiki edits:6
The following Tutorials introduces the use of Adobe Illustrator CS2-4 for "Drawing HD" purposes.

To help artists getting used easily to the potentialities of the most easy&powerful vector-art program in existence,
I tried my best to make those tutorials "pleasing to see" and "easy to understand" for anyone, but if you have any questions about them, please feel free to ask them here.


Video Tutorials:

LESSON 1 - Getting Started - DOWNLOAD

LESSON 2 - Ready for Action! - DOWNLOAD

LESSON 3 - Eyes, Head and Body! - DOWNLOAD


New Tutorials

-How To Draw UBER Shades

-The Blending Tool

-Subtracting Shapes

------

Additional Material + .AI file Sources on the S2HD Database

*I reserve the opportunity to create new specific tutorials as per artists request.
This post has been edited by Vincent: 24 May 2009 - 05:23 PM

#2 User is offline Elratauru 

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:07 PM

  • Oooh Shiny stuff! don't touch it >:(
  • Posts: 957
  • Joined: 13-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Montevideo, Uruguay
  • Project:Web Developing Stuff! :P
  • Wiki edits:132
Oh...this works for PS CS3? ... =P...Im joking, of course it works...

Love the tutorial, good job ^^

#3 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:30 AM

  • Cat-herder
  • Posts: 13844
  • Joined: 12-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Berkshire, England
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
If it's a video, why not Youtube it?

#4 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:12 AM

  • Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Character Artist
  • Posts: 1252
  • Joined: 03-May 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD
  • Wiki edits:6
Tnks El! ;)

Overlord, how much is youtube's max resolution and filesize support? AI's workspace is pretty detailed, and a further resize may be really BAD!

Anyone found this tutorial any helpful at all?
I'd like to move on the next lessons if everyone got it! :D
This post has been edited by Vincent: 28 September 2008 - 11:15 AM

#5 User is offline nineko 

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:31 AM

  • I am the Holy Cat
  • Posts: 5302
  • Joined: 17-August 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:italy
  • Project:I... don't even know anymore :U
  • Wiki edits:5,251

View PostVincent, on Sep 28 2008, 06:12 PM, said:

Overlord, how much is youtube's max resolution and filesize support? AI's workspace is pretty detailed, and a further resize may be really BAD!
I'm not Overlord but I can answer to you. In Italian, even.

Quando carichi un video su Youtube ne vengono generate due versioni in realtà, una di bassa qualità in formato FLV con risoluzione massima 320x240, ed una di alta qualità in formato MP4 con risoluzione massima 480x360. La durata del video non può superare I 10 minuti e 59 secondi per la stragrande maggioranza degli account (ad eccezione degli account Director antecedenti al 2007, che non hanno alcun limite di tempo), e la dimensione massima è di 100 megabyte o 1024 megabyte, purtroppo però non sò dirti con quale criterio, io ad esempio ho il limite a 1024 megabytes, e Puto che pure ha un account Director ha il limite a 100 megabyte, per cui questa è una cosa che solo tu puoi verificare.

English: I just told him that Youtube generates two versions of every uploaded video, a low quality FLV (up to 320x240) and a high quality MP4 (up to 480x360), and how the time and size limits work. Anyway, since I can't figure out why some accounts are limited to 100 megabytes and some others are limited to 1024 megabytes, if anyone knows that please explain. Because, Puto has a pre-2007 director account, so he doesn't have the 10:59 minutes limit, yet he is still capped at 100 megabytes; on the other hand, I have a normal account, so I'm limited to 10 minutes and 59 seconds, but for no apparent reason I can upload up to 1024 megabytes. I think they just gave this ability to random accounts.

#6 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:26 PM

  • Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Character Artist
  • Posts: 1252
  • Joined: 03-May 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD
  • Wiki edits:6
Thanks Nineko, I'll keep posting in this format than! ;)

#7 User is offline RamiroR 

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:45 AM

  • Posts: 353
  • Joined: 11-May 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Argentina :)
  • Wiki edits:9

View PostElratauru, on Sep 27 2008, 09:07 PM, said:

Oh...this works for PS CS3? ... =P...Im joking, of course it works...

Love the tutorial, good job ^^

I was about to ask that! xD
Thanks Vincent! it's very useful for people like me that don't have idea of this.

#8 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:07 PM

  • Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Character Artist
  • Posts: 1252
  • Joined: 03-May 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD
  • Wiki edits:6
I will continue the lessons by making the new Sonic "change direction" frame.

Make practice out of the first tutorial, things will get hotter from now on!

#9 User is offline Elratauru 

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:04 PM

  • Oooh Shiny stuff! don't touch it >:(
  • Posts: 957
  • Joined: 13-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Montevideo, Uruguay
  • Project:Web Developing Stuff! :P
  • Wiki edits:132

View PostRamiroR, on Sep 29 2008, 10:45 AM, said:

View PostElratauru, on Sep 27 2008, 09:07 PM, said:

Oh...this works for PS CS3? ... =P...Im joking, of course it works...

Love the tutorial, good job ^^

I was about to ask that! xD
Thanks Vincent! it's very useful for people like me that don't have idea of this.


I knew that someone would ask that ^^

#10 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:47 AM

  • Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Character Artist
  • Posts: 1252
  • Joined: 03-May 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD
  • Wiki edits:6
Ok, I just finished making the video of a "complete" Sonic Frame drawing.

It's a 2 hours vid, so I'll cut it into pieces and remove unnecessary parts.
After that I'll start editing the video adding subtitles to explain it! (this is the longer part!)

Some screenshots for you! :)
1 - 2 - 3 - 4
This post has been edited by Vincent: 09 October 2008 - 08:47 AM

#11 User is offline Super Nest 

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:48 AM

  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: 06-May 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spain
These tutorials are great. Keep 'em coming!

#12 User is offline Hodgy 

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:23 PM

  • Posts: 773
  • Joined: 25-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK
  • Project:official game programmer :)
Nice :) Ill give it a go but don't expect any miracles!
This post has been edited by Hodgy: 09 October 2008 - 02:36 PM

#13 User is offline The Growler 

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:23 PM

  • Posts: 931
  • Joined: 05-January 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sheffield, UK

View Postnineko, on Sep 28 2008, 05:31 PM, said:

View PostVincent, on Sep 28 2008, 06:12 PM, said:

Overlord, how much is youtube's max resolution and filesize support? AI's workspace is pretty detailed, and a further resize may be really BAD!
I'm not Overlord but I can answer to you.

English: I just told him that Youtube generates two versions of every uploaded video, a low quality FLV (up to 320x240) and a high quality MP4 (up to 480x360), and how the time and size limits work. Anyway, since I can't figure out why some accounts are limited to 100 megabytes and some others are limited to 1024 megabytes, if anyone knows that please explain. Because, Puto has a pre-2007 director account, so he doesn't have the 10:59 minutes limit, yet he is still capped at 100 megabytes; on the other hand, I have a normal account, so I'm limited to 10 minutes and 59 seconds, but for no apparent reason I can upload up to 1024 megabytes. I think they just gave this ability to random accounts.


Well there's always HD-Tube - a High-Def version of YouTube :words: http://hd-tube.com/

#14 User is online NioZero 

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:03 PM

  • Posts: 199
  • Joined: 21-August 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chile
  • Project:Tornado Sky Fighters
  • Wiki edits:5

View PostThe Growler, on Oct 9 2008, 08:23 PM, said:

View Postnineko, on Sep 28 2008, 05:31 PM, said:

View PostVincent, on Sep 28 2008, 06:12 PM, said:

Overlord, how much is youtube's max resolution and filesize support? AI's workspace is pretty detailed, and a further resize may be really BAD!
I'm not Overlord but I can answer to you.

English: I just told him that Youtube generates two versions of every uploaded video, a low quality FLV (up to 320x240) and a high quality MP4 (up to 480x360), and how the time and size limits work. Anyway, since I can't figure out why some accounts are limited to 100 megabytes and some others are limited to 1024 megabytes, if anyone knows that please explain. Because, Puto has a pre-2007 director account, so he doesn't have the 10:59 minutes limit, yet he is still capped at 100 megabytes; on the other hand, I have a normal account, so I'm limited to 10 minutes and 59 seconds, but for no apparent reason I can upload up to 1024 megabytes. I think they just gave this ability to random accounts.


Well there's always HD-Tube - a High-Def version of YouTube ;) http://hd-tube.com/


vuze is a good option to upload HD videos (it support 1080 :words: too).

very good tutorial... is very usefull learn to use ilustrator for games.... thanks...

#15 User is offline The Growler 

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:05 PM

  • Posts: 931
  • Joined: 05-January 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sheffield, UK

View PostNioZero, on Oct 10 2008, 05:03 AM, said:

View PostThe Growler, on Oct 9 2008, 08:23 PM, said:

Well there's always HD-Tube - a High-Def version of YouTube ;) http://hd-tube.com/

vuze is a good option to upload HD videos (it support 1080 :) too).

very good tutorial... is very usefull learn to use ilustrator for games.... thanks...


Not to mention HD Share and Veoh too :thumbsup:
This post has been edited by The Growler: 10 October 2008 - 04:08 PM

  • 5 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users