Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: ***Tech Demo First Release!*** - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

***Tech Demo First Release!*** Discuss the latest tech demo, report bugs etc

#16 User is offline Baby Ghost 

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:28 PM

• Put Tails in every game!
  • Wiki edits:4
Epic! Amazing! Sonic frames that I never saw in the thread. Good job at those Vincent!
The engine is great, as far as I know (haven't played the original in a while) it is perfect! Wish there'd been more to do though.

Great first step! :)

#17 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:28 PM

• don't get butthurt if your get memed on
  • Project:Scriptwriting, working, dying.
  • Wiki edits:1
This is cool.

Yup.

Looking forward to the final.

#18 User is offline Athelstone 

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:30 PM

The other two versions are interesting, but they confuse me. Those aren't planned resolutions for the game, are they?

We included the smaller 1x and 2x resolutions because level scrolling is still being developed - so the idea was to give everyone space to move around by having a smaller Sonic in a bigger level. But no, mini-Sonic won't be in the final version I don't think ^^
This post has been edited by Athelstone: 15 September 2008 - 09:31 PM

#19 User is offline Flare 

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:30 PM

• 'Here I come Sonic!'
WOW. I am surprised it would run so fluidly, feels like Sonic 2. Its really well done, and glad to see it.

#20 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:32 PM

Oh, hey, I'm having a bit of an issue, actually—it seems I can't get full screen to work. If I launch one of the exes with the full screen option ticked, it'll keep me in windowed mode. If I use alt+enter to go full screen, I get nothing but a black screen; returning to windowed mode will have random parts of the screen blanked out in the window, meaning I'll be seeing the HUD and nothing else to the level. The game is functional while black and in full screen, but I can't see anything.

I don't know if this is my graphics card or what, but I'm willing to provide details if need be.

View PostAthelstone, on Sep 15 2008, 10:30 PM, said:

The other two versions are interesting, but they confuse me. Those aren't planned resolutions for the game, are they?

We included the smaller 1x and 2x resolutions because level scrolling is still being developed - so the idea was to give everyone space to move around by having a smaller Sonic in a bigger level. But no, mini-Sonic won't be in the final version I don't think ^^

Oh, okay, cool to hear. :)

#21 User is offline Mad Echidna 

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:35 PM

• Gone
Someone post a goddamn youtube vid already

#22 User is offline Skaarg 

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:41 PM

This is awesome.

I did notice knuckles's glide is weird when starting to glide above the screen, but really in the final he probably wouldn't start gliding when off screen.

As far as performance goes my framerate never dropped below 57 FPS. (in windowed mode) My CPU usage bounced anywhere from 8-76% With it normally being between 20-45% Memory usage stayed at ~380MB.
Specs:
CPU: AMD 3500+ 2.2GHz
RAM: 1GB DDR-400
Video: 512MB Geforce 7900 GTO
Since this is running perfectly fine on this computer I think your recommended system specifications could be lowered.

Edit- Another thing to note going back up the S tube and then coming back out is way too fast. It seemed in Sonic 2 especially if you were holding left it would take quite a bit longer to slow down and you wouldn't be quite as fast.

I know it's a tech demo, but hey these things need to be known.

Edit 2 - I noticed some people having trouble with full screen mode so I loaded up all three versions and they load fine for me at full screen and switching to windowed and back to fullscreen.
My default resolution is 1440*900 and switching to whatever resolution fullscreen uses was flawless.

One other thing I noticed in 4X mode when running up the ramp and you jump Sonic can clip right through the 1.
This post has been edited by Skaarg: 15 September 2008 - 09:52 PM

#23 User is offline The Taxman 

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:43 PM

• Project:Retro Engine & Related Projects
  • Wiki edits:15
Great progress so far, it runs quite nicely on my computer. Once scrolling gets implemented this is going to be so groovy. No luck with fullscreen either though. Also for those wondering yes the physics in this engine are close to if not 100% spot on since l0st ported the original engine's code (I was fortunate to try his earlier non-HD version that had marble zone)

Once again, well done!
This post has been edited by The Taxman: 15 September 2008 - 09:48 PM

#24 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:44 PM

• Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Character Artist
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD
  • Wiki edits:6
I am glad you liked the new frames I added, and please also check the old ones! :D
(Why? Because I actually reworked on ALL the past frames with pixel exact aliased edges, new shapes and added shades!!)
I also took some creative liberties like sweat drops on the balancing frames, hope you like them! :D

#25 User is offline MK 

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:45 PM

• Hacker
  • Project:Secret :o o:
  • Wiki edits:852
In the 2x demo, I noticed the physics are incomplete for the partial loop. In Sonic 2 you can jump from the bottom right to the top right of the loop, this one doesn't act that way. Just pointing that out :P

#26 User is offline Donnyku 

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:45 PM

• yay
  • Project:Pony Sprites
  • Wiki edits:2
congrats on releasing this, I'm loving how accurate it is, and how smoothly it runs on this laptop

#27 User is offline BuffaloWilder 

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:50 PM

• One of these men cannot be right.
  • Wiki edits:1
Alright. It won't run in WINE. Damn it all. Damn it, I say.

#28 User is offline Aquaslash 

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:51 PM

• Super Mega
  • Project:The S Factor: Sonia and Silver
  • Wiki edits:1,144
Damn...this runs smooth as hell. Yes, I downloaded a new program, just because I heard there was a new EHZ from Steve.

You must post the original MP3 or whatever, I want this on me player!

#29 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:54 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
Can't you just convert the ogg that's hiding in the project files?

#30 User is offline Scarred Sun 

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:59 PM

• GOTH GOTH GOTH
  • Project:Conquering the games industry
  • Wiki edits:36,091
Minor thing—not sure if it was due to the frames not being drawn yet, but there's no differentiation between "sort of close to ledge" and "really close to ledge" frames when near a ledge.

• 15 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users