Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Basic Questions & Answers thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 355 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Basic Questions & Answers thread NEWBIES: Start here!

#4141 User is offline Jaseman 

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

• The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer!
  • Project:Some unamed Sonic hack
  • Wiki edits:16
What are we all using to edit music nowadays? I kinda want to take some MIDIs and put them in my hack, but I don't know how to do that :s. Midi2SMPS is cool I guess, but I don't really understand how to not make it sound like butt. And also I don't know how to transpose a MIDI to SMPS, by hand or otherwise. Help please? Thanks :)

EDIT: also, in 4noob terms, how would one go about making a second Sonic with different stats (I guess taking the place of Tails) with different accelerations, speeds, etc (Maybe I'm adding Modern Sonic, maybe not :) What do I do in the ASM file?
This post has been edited by Jaseman: 29 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

#4142 User is offline ValleyBell 

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

• Project:researching SMPS sound drivers
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostJaseman, on 29 April 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

Midi2SMPS is cool I guess, but I don't really understand how to not make it sound like butt.

Sorry. I guess it's my fault that mid2smps isn't very user-friendly. But it has improved a lot over the last year and I want to release an updated version sometime in May.

#4143 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

• Beast Boy Stahp
  • Project:Mighty No. 9 Universe,various hacking projects
  • Wiki edits:112

View PostJaseman, on 29 April 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

EDIT: also, in 4noob terms, how would one go about making a second Sonic with different stats (I guess taking the place of Tails) with different accelerations, speeds, etc (Maybe I'm adding Modern Sonic, maybe not :) What do I do in the ASM file?
I take it you want to hack Sonic 2 correct? If so in your disassembly make a search for "Obj02_Init", this code contains Tails' stats. If you want to change his stats, change this code to whatever you'd wish:
        move.w	#$600,(Tails_top_speed).w	; set Tails' top speed
	move.w	#$C,(Tails_acceleration).w	; set Tails' acceleration
	move.w	#$80,(Tails_deceleration).w; set Tails' deceleration

Hope this helps. :) Also if you wanted to change his Speed Shoes stats, just make a search for "super_shoes_Tails".

#4144 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

• Wiki edits:41
Hi another S3+K question, mainly concerning giving Sonic Tails' stipulations:

1. Is there any way to get Sonic's ending animations to load in a similar manner to Tails (eg. for emerald endings, the super transformation and pallette load but then still play the normal ending animation afterwards)?

2. Is there anyway to have Sonic's levels start up like Tails' (eg. skip the Angel Island and Ice Cap intros)? I've tried editing the character flags related to the intros but all it does is glitch things up.

2. Out of curiosity, is that black and white death sprite used for anything in game? I'm really scraping for spare sprite spaces here.
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 01 May 2012 - 04:41 AM

#4145 User is offline Jimmy Hedgehog 

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

• Project:RAoSTH (Sprite Comic), Sawnik (Still need a better name)
  • Wiki edits:2
Random question, how would I get Sonic to slow down when a button (in my particular experiments, the B button) is not being pressed/held? Resetting the speed (like after the speed shoes wear off) doesn't work seemingly, as you still carry on going the same speed until you slow down yourself. The desirable thing would be an immediately visible slowdown...this is for a boost code I'm trying out for my Sonic 1 hack (Hivebrain disassembly, if past questions didn't give it away XD).

#4146 User is offline Oerg866 

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

• Wiki edits:3
It's been ages since I modified anything in a Sonic game, but wasn't the speed stored in RAM address $FFF604? Something like that, anyway. If I remember correctly, this is the value that just about every routine that deals with the speed writes to or read sfrom, so you'd want to go ahead and just write the new speed there. (Original cap was $600 IIRC?)

#4147 User is offline Jimmy Hedgehog 

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

It is yes, but when I tell it to use that speed when I release the button, it decides to walk on it's own (even with no input) at that speed based on what way I'm facing when I let go...sometimes backwards oddly enough.

#4148 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

• Beast Boy Stahp
  • Project:Mighty No. 9 Universe,various hacking projects
  • Wiki edits:112
Are you wanting to program in Sonic Boost? If so, it's not too difficult. What I did was made a check to see if the B button was held, and if it was it branched to another part of my routine that handled his boost speed. And if the B button wasn't being pressed, he'd run at normal speed.

#4149 User is offline Jimmy Hedgehog 

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

Well I've had a little help to get what I have so far, so I'm gonna PM you the code I have as that would probably make more sense than simply going by description XD

#4150 User is offline Tiddles 

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

• Diamond Dust
  • Project:Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
  • Wiki edits:31

View PostE-122-Psi, on 30 April 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

1. Is there any way to get Sonic's ending animations to load in a similar manner to Tails (eg. for emerald endings, the super transformation and pallette load but then still play the normal ending animation afterwards)?

2. Is there anyway to have Sonic's levels start up like Tails' (eg. skip the Angel Island and Ice Cap intros)? I've tried editing the character flags related to the intros but all it does is glitch things up.

2. Out of curiosity, is that black and white death sprite used for anything in game? I'm really scraping for spare sprite spaces here.

I'm pretty darn sure that sprite isn't used for anything, at least.

As for the other questions: definitely possible, but I couldn't say exactly how from a quick skim. I suspect both require editing specific character checks - possibly more than one each - within the code rather than being anything that can be fixed with a quick tweak to a table or static data. I'm afraid I won't have time to check it through myself for the moment, but I'll have to look at the Icecap startup sooner or later, so if I see anything useful I'll let you know.

#4151 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

View PostTiddles, on 03 May 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

View PostE-122-Psi, on 30 April 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

I'm pretty darn sure that sprite isn't used for anything, at least.

As for the other questions: definitely possible, but I couldn't say exactly how from a quick skim. I suspect both require editing specific character checks - possibly more than one each - within the code rather than being anything that can be fixed with a quick tweak to a table or static data. I'm afraid I won't have time to check it through myself for the moment, but I'll have to look at the Icecap startup sooner or later, so if I see anything useful I'll let you know.

Cool. Thanx for that.

Oh I just figured out how to edit the Icecap one myself so if you need help with that I can assist. It is indeed editing a couple of character checks, one regarding start locations (loc_1BEC6) and another regarding graphics (loc_690A). I managed to get to a mid point with Angel Island's startup, mostly editing checks labelled over it's intro, it loads the same way as Tails now, however the levels' pallette and graphics are screwed up and as you progress a flurry of garble sprites rises and kills Sonic.
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 03 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

#4152 User is offline Tiddles 

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

• Diamond Dust
  • Project:Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
  • Wiki edits:31
Cheers for the Icecap tips.

Now I think about it, I do know something about the AIZ intro, because I did pretty much the reverse of what you're doing to create an intro for Tails.

My copy is all monkeyed about from the various intro changes, but these are places you definitely want to change. There may be a few I didn't spot here - like an idiot, I didn't comment them all the same way as each other, so some may have slipped through the net.

LoadLevelLoadBlock:
		move.w	(Current_zone_and_act).w,d0
		bne.s	loc_782A
		cmpi.w	#2,(Player_mode).w
		bcc.s	loc_7826
		tst.b	(Last_star_post_hit).w
		beq.s	loc_782A

You always want to follow that bcc path - so you should actually just remove everything from cmpi.w down to the beq.s at the end of that block. (You could always just change bcc.s to bra.s to test it first and leave a safety net to go back to.)

loc_1BE7A:
		lea	(a1,d0.w),a1
		moveq	#0,d1
		move.w	(a1)+,d1
		move.w	d1,($FFFFB010).w
		moveq	#0,d0
		move.w	(a1),d0
		move.w	d0,($FFFFB014).w
		bne.w	loc_1BF74
		cmpi.w	#0,(Current_zone_and_act).w
		bne.s	loc_1BEC6
		bcc.s	loc_1BEC6
		move.w	#$40,d1				; If in Angel Island Zone and playing as Sonic, the start position is overridden for the intro
		move.w	d1,($FFFFB010).w
		move.w	#$420,d0
		move.w	d0,($FFFFB014).w
		move.w	#0,d1
		move.w	d1,(Camera_min_X_pos).w
		move.w	d1,(Camera_target_min_X_pos).w
		move.w	d1,(Camera_min_X_pos_P2).w

Again, you want to always follow that bcc after cmpi.w #2, and the solution is pretty much the same again - clear the stuff in between or bra.s it. (If you remove it all, you will also have to remove the previous cmpi.w/bne too in this case, as it would become a zero-length branch.)

LoadLevelLoadBlock2:
		move.w	(Current_zone_and_act).w,d0
		bne.s	loc_1C2C8
		bcc.s	loc_1C2C4
		beq.s	loc_1C2C8

You know what to do.

loc_1C46E:
		move.b	#1,($FFFFF72E).w
		cmpi.w	#$1000,(Camera_X_pos).w
		bcs.s	locret_1C4CE
		move.b	#0,($FFFFF72E).w
		move.w	(Camera_X_pos).w,(Camera_min_X_pos).w
		cmpi.w	#$1308,(Camera_X_pos).w
		bcs.s	locret_1C4CE
		bne.s	loc_1C4A6
		bcc.s	loc_1C4A6
		moveq	#$B,d0
		jsr	(Load_PLC).l

Honestly, I didn't remember that these were all the same answer at various well hidden locations. I was hoping I could say something cleverer. Oh, this is another one that might result in a zero length branch if you're not careful.

loc_1C4D0:
		move.w	#$1308,(Camera_min_X_pos).w
		cmpi.w	#$1400,(Camera_X_pos).w
		bcs.s	locret_1C54E
		bne.s	loc_1C522
		bcc.s	loc_1C522
		lea	(AIZ1_16x16_MainLevel_Kos).l,a1
		lea	($FFFF9268).w,a2
		jsr	(Queue_Kos).l
		lea	(AIZ1_8x8_MainLevel_KosM).l,a1
		move.w	#$17C0,d2
		jsr	(Queue_Kos_Module).l
		st	($FFFFEEC6).w
		move.w	#$500,($FFFFF7F0).w
		move.w	#$500,($FFFFF7F2).w
		move.w	#$500,($FFFFF7F4).w

Same old business, more short branches to watch.

loc_6248:

move.w	d0,(Level_music).w
		bsr.w	Play_Sound
		tst.w	(Current_zone_and_act).w
		bne.s	loc_6268
		bcc.s	loc_62B6
		beq.w	loc_62FE
		bra.s	loc_62B6

Ditto. Clearly I started the search from the middle, as we've wrapped around. Too lazy to rewrite it now!

SpawnLevelMainSprites:
		move.l	#Obj_Level_6C2C,(Reserved_object_3).w
		bsr.w	SpawnLevelMainSprites_SpawnPlayers
		bsr.w	SpawnLevelMainSprites_SpawnPowerup
		bne.w	locret_69B6
		tst.b	(Special_bonus_entry_flag).w
		bne.w	locret_69B6
		lea	(Player_1).w,a1
		lea	(Player_2).w,a2
		cmpi.w	#0,(Current_zone_and_act).w
		bne.s	loc_6834
		bcc.s	locret_6832
		move.l	#Obj_84,($FFFFB172).w
		clr.b	(Level_started_flag).w

No short branch concerns this time. Have a sticker!

#4153 User is offline Jimmy Hedgehog 

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

In the Sonic 1 Hivebrain disassembly, is there a way to check if Sonic is in midair? Like if sonic is in midair, do this etc. I ask this because with the boost I'm using, rings drain on the ground but not in the air annoyingly.

#4154 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:24 AM

Thanx, Tiddles. There was one more section I had to uncomment for graphics a little after loc_1BE7A, but it was pretty easy to find.

View PostJimmy Hedgehog, on 05 May 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

In the Sonic 1 Hivebrain disassembly, is there a way to check if Sonic is in midair? Like if sonic is in midair, do this etc. I ask this because with the boost I'm using, rings drain on the ground but not in the air annoyingly.

Does the coding for draining rings have a bsr in the MdJump sections as well as MdNormal? That's the best I can think of right now.
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 06 May 2012 - 04:24 AM

#4155 User is offline Jimmy Hedgehog 

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:40 PM

Makes sense! XD I added a bsr for the boost to both the MdJump parts and it works now, thanks! ^^

• 355 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Tech Member: Clownacy