Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Basic Questions & Answers thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 355 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Basic Questions & Answers thread NEWBIES: Start here!

#1 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:00 PM

This topic is intended for newbies to post various questions they have that may not warrant their own topic to ask. For more complicated questions, it is expected that a new topic is created like normal.

The general range of questions that may be posted here involve cliches such as:
  • How do I get SonED2 to work?
  • I can't get my disassembly to build! What's wrong?
  • I don't understand the documentation of x and x program! Can I do x and x with it?
  • What program is best for x and x?
...among other things.

Questions and answers are expected to be respectful—do not "demand" help, or you won't be getting it. Likewise, don't bash a newbie for having a question that may be obvious; however, if a certain question is asked multiple times after the answer is already given, expect us to be a bit annoyed.

Before asking a question, make sure to check the archives, SCHG How-to:Guide, and the Sonic Community Hacking Guide. Laziness will NOT be tolerated! Show us that you've put effort towards finding the answer to your question before asking it, and we'll put effort towards answering it as best as we can for you.

Utilities can be found in Sonic Hacking Utilities. Uncategorized utility downloads can be found in Category:Program Files. Disassemblies are at Disassemblies.

#2 User is offline Jimmy Hedgehog 

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:12 AM

• Project:RAoSTH (Sprite Comic), Sawnik (Still need a better name)
  • Wiki edits:2
Guess I'll be the first to ask a question here then =P
Anyways, about SonED2, I know about putting the two files for GHZ's 8x8 tiles together, but what do I need to change in the ASM or the rest of the disassembly so that it reads the tiles from the right file?
This post has been edited by Lone_wolf81: 30 May 2008 - 05:13 AM

#3 User is offline FraGag 

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:37 AM

• Project:an assembler
  • Wiki edits:6
If you don't plan on changing the art for Green Hill Zone, you don't need to change anything in the assembly: just put the file 8x8ghz.bin in artnem and SonED2 will use see it, and keep the original 8x8ghz1.bin and 8x8ghz2.bin so the ROM still builds.

Even if you want to change the art in GHZ, you might not have to change anything in the disassembly. You must first understand why the tiles are split: the first set (8x8ghz1.bin) of tiles makes the background and is loaded for the title screen and the acts in-game, while the second set (8x8ghz2.bin) is only loaded in the acts; on the title screen, other tiles are loaded instead.

So, if you want to use a custom background, the title screen will load completely different tiles, so you'll be able to put GHZ's tile in one set and have the game load the compressed tiles from 8x8ghz.bin instead of loading 2 separate sets.

On the other hand, if you still want the title screen to load the background from GHZ (edited or original) but want to edit the tiles (background and/or foreground), you have 2 options:
- Edit 8x8ghz.bin in SonED2 and split it once you're done. To split your tiles, you might want to try SonMapEd.
- Edit 8x8ghz1.bin and 8x8ghz2.bin separately in SonMapEd. Your tiles will change in your ROM, but they still not change in SonED2 unless you redo 8x8ghz.bin every time you change your tiles.

#4 User is offline Puto 

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:23 AM

• Shin'ichi Kudō, detective.
  • Project:Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
  • Wiki edits:51
Or option 3: Edit the game so that it uses a single art file properly.

#5 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:29 AM

View PostPuto, on May 30 2008, 10:23 AM, said:

Or option 3: Edit the game so that it uses a single art file properly.

Which is a bit tougher, but can be handled by simply making a copy of the background art and never editing it.

SCHG How-to:Make an Alternative Title Screen may be a good complement to merging these art files back together.

#6 User is offline Thehackery 

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:27 AM

• Project:Sonic The Hedgehog 1.1 and Sonic The Hedgehog 2.1
My disassembly won't work. This is as far as I get. Am I doing something wrong? This is as far as I get.

#7 User is offline STHX 

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:27 AM

• SEGAAAAAAAAA?!?
  • Project:Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
  • Wiki edits:31
The folder named Utilities has to much letters.
Try using folder names with no more than 8 letters, then try again.

(A hint: follow Qjimbo's How Tos for a perfect split disassembly setup)

#8 User is offline Sith 

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:13 AM

• The molotov bitch
Nice initiative, Tweaker. It allows newbie hackers to ask questions without fear of looking like fools so they are not discouraged to start a hack.
This will surely result in a broader hackerbase later on when they progress to more advanced hacking.

#9 User is offline iojnekns 

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:54 PM

• I wish for Abraham Lincoln to be a girl.
  • Wiki edits:14
Is there any possibility in the future of an Advanced Questions and Answers thread, where we can pool resources to overcome more advanced problems? I'm sure there are proficient sonic hackers that need to bounce ideas off someone every once in a while. I suppose, technically, that's the purpose of the entire forum, but it seems a little less impetuous to post in this kind of environment than to start a whole topic devoted to your issue.

Feel free to shoot me down, im not entirely convinced by the idea myself but it seems like its a great idea, why let the noobs have it all to themselves, right?
This post has been edited by iojnekns: 31 May 2008 - 01:55 PM

#10 User is offline Irixion 

Posted 31 May 2008 - 04:30 PM

• Project:Life
  • Wiki edits:152
This topic is a good way of finding out who's a lazy asshole, and who really needs help =P Nice idea Tweaker.

#11 User is offline Ayla 

Posted 31 May 2008 - 04:44 PM

• I shat on your desk ^^
  • Project:Hacking Contest, S.H.I.T.
  • Wiki edits:67

View Postiojnekns, on May 31 2008, 12:54 PM, said:

Is there any possibility in the future of an Advanced Questions and Answers thread, where we can pool resources to overcome more advanced problems? I'm sure there are proficient sonic hackers that need to bounce ideas off someone every once in a while. I suppose, technically, that's the purpose of the entire forum, but it seems a little less impetuous to post in this kind of environment than to start a whole topic devoted to your issue.

Feel free to shoot me down, im not entirely convinced by the idea myself but it seems like its a great idea, why let the noobs have it all to themselves, right?

I think advanced questions and even simpler questions should eventually be covered in a FAQ in the wiki

#12 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:02 AM

Advanced questions go in their own topic. Not much more to it.

#13 User is offline ZFG 

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:43 AM

I had a problem imprting Art into SonED2, this is what it shows:
Posted Image
What did I do wrong?

#14 User is offline DalekSam 

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:59 AM

• dubstep extrodinaire
  • Project:Sonic Thrash, Amphobius
  • Wiki edits:165
Thing is, you used too complex art, I think. You're better off starting off scratch, following this guide.

#15 User is offline Thehackery 

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:21 PM

• Project:Sonic The Hedgehog 1.1 and Sonic The Hedgehog 2.1
I think I've found out what's wrong with my disassembly setup, I think I'm missing an s1comb.asm file. How would I go about that?

• 355 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users