Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Levels & Items Art - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Levels & Items Art —Current goals: Chemical Plant and Aquatic Ruins—

#1711 User is offline nineko 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:59 PM

• I am the Holy Cat
  • Project:I... don't even know anymore :U
  • Wiki edits:5,251
Ok so Vincent really wanted the lava, including the top part.

4x version (742kB)

#1712 User is offline Hamneggs 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:36 PM

• Official Breakfast of S2HD
  • Project:Networked lighting
I cannot wait to see what vincent has in mind with all this fire and lava he's requesting...

#1713 User is offline nineko 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:41 PM

• I am the Holy Cat
  • Project:I... don't even know anymore :U
  • Wiki edits:5,251
QUOTE (Hamneggs @ Mar 21 2010, 12:36 AM)
I cannot wait to see what vincent has in mind with all this fire and lava he's requesting...
Considering that Vincent is from Rome, this might be a possibility v.png

#1714 User is offline zemulii 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:25 PM

As regards the bush, I feel the "floating" bits in the corners actually make the overall shape look a bit more balanced. Even if it's a bit unreal...

#1715 User is offline Gambit 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:02 PM

• Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD
  • Wiki edits:6
QUOTE (Hamneggs @ Mar 20 2010, 05:45 PM)
QUOTE (ancara @ Mar 20 2010, 04:18 PM)
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=qrj7rr&s=5
*image*

My WIP of the ski lift thingy. Got the left vine in a somewhat-decent state, but'll likely need much more work.

This took about 2-3 hours to do what I did so far (and once again it was in paint, since I can work pretty well with it). All the shades of each color I worked with are there if ya wanna know what I used or wanna mess with it yourself.

I'm gonna continue with this later, due to eyes hurting from working on it (the green....the GREEN.... ;_; ), but until then tell me what ya think. I'd love to hear any critisism that could help me fix it up while it's still like this, ok? :3

That looks like good progress, but two quarrels I have:

1: Don't keep it so true. Add flair to it. There's a lot more room for detail now that it's in hd.

2: Paint simply won't cut it. It has to be in vector form, so what you give can only be used as a concept piece.

I wish y'all would stop saying that something has to be vector to get accepted. We killed off the vector only limitation a looooooooong time ago because everything that goes into the game will be converted to raster anyways. I made this thing entirely with raster in photoshop. Although, I would recommend using something other than ms paint simply because pretty much everything else will give you much more control over your work.

#1716 User is offline zemulii 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (Gambit @ Mar 21 2010, 02:02 PM)
I wish y'all would stop saying that something has to be vector to get accepted. We killed off the vector only limitation a looooooooong time ago because everything that goes into the game will be converted to raster anyways. I made this thing entirely with raster in photoshop. Although, I would recommend using something other than ms paint simply because pretty much everything else will give you much more control over your work.

Sorry, maybe this is my fault. It's just that when I PMed Vincent (about a week ago), my answer was that raster was suitable for concept art and vector for anything being considered to be used in-game. I guess that was just the short and simple answer then right? And vector is just preferred (for ease of making adjustments etc.) rather than an absolute must? I seem to get different answers depending on who I talk to sad.png (of course that could be down to the way I interpret them...) .
This post has been edited by zemulii: 20 March 2010 - 08:41 PM

#1717 User is offline Gambit 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:02 PM

• Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist
QUOTE (zemulii @ Mar 20 2010, 08:41 PM)
QUOTE (Gambit @ Mar 21 2010, 02:02 PM)

Sorry, maybe this is my fault. It's just that when I PMed Vincent (about a week ago), my answer was that raster was suitable for concept art and vector for anything being considered to be used in-game. I guess that was just the short and simple answer then right? And vector is just preferred (for ease of making adjustments etc.) rather than an absolute must? I seem to get different answers depending on who I talk to sad.png (of course that could be down to the way I interpret them...) .

The biggest concern is that things will look too painterly if it's made with raster. All the backgrounds will be painted, but probably not much in the foreground. If you can make things look clean and crisp (like the edges of things and whatnot) with raster then there's no reason not to use it. Another thing I should mention is that photoshop does have vector tools, so if you have that and you don't know how to use said vector tools, you should look into that. Setting down a good base in vector can really help out since all you have to do after is shade, and that's actually what I did with my bush, set up a vector base and finished it in photoshop. CN's been doing this as well only purely in photoshop.

Oh, and who you ask about this will most likely net you different responses simply because each of us is more comfortable using different programs and we'll most likely suggest to you our personal preference. Vince usually just uses illustrator for everything, but I use photoshop and illustrator together.

#1718 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:04 PM

• Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Character Artist
For Character Art vectors are required.
On Level Art where needed, Rasters are accepted (On BGs especially)

S2HD finally imports pngs, so it depends from the artist's skills to reproduce our artsyle trough his programs, but raster can't be modified or animated with the ease and sharpness of vectors, therefore tends to become a limit very soon.

#1719 User is offline ancara 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:57 PM

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=msei36&s=5

Well, I went on and did the other parts of the ski lift. Sorry if the top part of the right vine looks a bit messed up, it'll likely need some work done'd to it.

But anyways, did a few extra details for the platform part of the lift (they're pretty obvious), so as to hopefully give it a more interesting look.

Also, I'd do the whole "setting it as a vector-type thingy" deal, but I'm not sure which programs can do this, and I'm waiting until the thing's nice and pretty much about 100% good before doing all the vectorizing and stuff so it can be used, ok?

So yeah, tell me what ya think and how I could improve it, ok? :3

#1720 User is offline Hamneggs 

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:00 PM

• Official Breakfast of S2HD
  • Project:Networked lighting
QUOTE (ancara @ Mar 20 2010, 09:57 PM)
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=msei36&s=5

So yeah, tell me what ya think and how I could improve it, ok? :3

Make the shading of the base a bit more like the blue seen here, and the vines a bit more grainy like the green part. Then it would be just about perfect!

#1721 User is offline Canned Karma 

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:15 PM

• S2HD Project Manager
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
  • Wiki edits:1
Thread locked in preparation for incoming topic overhaul.

• 115 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users