Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Shenmue 3 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 18 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Shenmue 3 But only if you fund it yourselves says Sega...

#256 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:41 AM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL

View PostAerosol, on 20 May 2018 - 07:29 AM, said:

Shenhua looks nice. Ryo still looks like garbage. Stylization or not he looks bad.

Looks the same to me.

Posted Image

#257 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:42 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
Garbage? OK glad we're on the same page.

In all seriousness though, I based that comment on the image in the post I responded to. I haven't seen the full version of that pic that was flatteringly spliced with an almost 20 year old screenshot. So I'll reserve further judgement till I do.

I've not been impressed so far though.

#258 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 20 May 2018 - 02:49 PM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL

View PostAerosol, on 20 May 2018 - 12:42 PM, said:

In all seriousness though, I based that comment on the image in the post I responded to. I haven't seen the full version of that pic that was flatteringly spliced with an almost 20 year old screenshot. So I'll reserve further judgement till I do.

Here you go, then:

Posted Image

#259 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 20 May 2018 - 03:19 PM

• Wiki edits:6
That's the August 2017 version of the Ryo character model though, that screenshot was released during Gamescom 2017. They've made more changes since then, with last week's video being the same version as the screenshots released in February. Yet in the August 2017 trailer's model it looked worse than the screenshot released less than a week later, despite appearing to be the same model, so it just goes to show that some of the accuracy comes down to the facial animation.

They've still been making big changes (Ex: Shenhua) over the last 6 months, so I wouldn't be surprised if 6 months from now we're arguing about even newer character models. I think I've already said where I stand on this, the point they reached last August (the screenshot above) was good enough for me. It's not a perfect match for the original, but it actually looks like the same character now and the texture quality exceeds the CG version from 15 years ago, so whatever. They promised something better looking than the shit from 2015, and they delivered on it. I'm looking forward to finally seeing gameplay whenever they decide to show that.

#260 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 20 May 2018 - 03:32 PM

How many years does it take to make 1 character model?

They have the engine set in stone, they know the rendering and the materials workflow, UE4 is using PBR. They aren't particularly constrained visually by the polycount budget or texture sizes. The only thing that is potentially subject to the programmers and hardware resources is the character hair.

Ask any competent modeller and they'll tell you it takes this or that number of *weeks*(2 without the rig and animations?).
Why do they need to make 10 revisions of the character models? Don't tell me its 'changing the art style' because that sounds like poor excuse.
This post has been edited by winterhell: 20 May 2018 - 03:33 PM

#261 User is online 360 

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:13 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Well, neither YSNet or Deep Silver have confirmed Shenmue 3 will be at E3 yet but given how much closer we are to release now and also the decision to show off the game a few months back I'd say 3's appearance at E3 in the form of a new trailer or something is likely. I wouldn't be surprised to see footage or something dropped in Sony's conference for example given it's a major PS4 exclusive. Here's hoping.
This post has been edited by 360: 20 May 2018 - 04:13 PM

#262 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:40 AM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?

View PostDigitalDuck, on 20 May 2018 - 02:49 PM, said:

View PostAerosol, on 20 May 2018 - 12:42 PM, said:

Here you go, then:

Posted Image

Yea, no. Still looks bad. Yes yes I know it's from 2017.

Where is his patrician jawline? Why is his face so round? He's recognizable as Ryo at least, but I'm still not satisfied.

#263 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 22 May 2018 - 12:12 AM

• Wiki edits:18
...He looks like a kid in there.

• 18 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users