Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: The Future of SEGA: Grim or glorious? - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

The Future of SEGA: Grim or glorious? I'm back to ask more questions. I am still not a robot.

#16 User is offline Krigo 

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:50 AM

• Wiki edits:30

View PostAndrew75, on 09 November 2017 - 10:48 PM, said:

maybe they should completely disband Sonic team and move on to a new IP? Official Sonic games of late have been a huge let downs for me, including yes Generations,

Considering that Sonic Team develops Puyo Puyo, this is a terrible idea.
This post has been edited by Krigo: 10 November 2017 - 03:51 AM

#17 User is offline Hitlersaurus Christ 

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:23 AM

• @gayanimedad
  • Project:Snoic Generatons 2017
I think they should force Sonic Team to make Chu Chu Rocket, Billy Hatcher, and Samba De Amigo games for the rest of eternity

#18 User is offline Sid Starkiller 

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:42 PM

View PostHitlersaurus Christ, on 10 November 2017 - 04:23 AM, said:

I think they should force Sonic Team to make Chu Chu Rocket, Billy Hatcher, and Samba De Amigo games for the rest of eternity

We've already seen the results of being forced to work on one IP. Do you want those franchises ruined, too?

It's probably impractical, but here's what I'd do: Strip Sonic Team of the IP, and the name. Let them do other stuff. Then, talk to Whitehead and co., and have those who are willing become full-time employees, under the moniker Team Mania (I mean officially called that). They'd alternate between Sonic games and non-Sonic games, to help prevent burnout.

#19 User is offline UpCDownCLeftCRightC 

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:40 AM

View PostDr. Victor, on 09 November 2017 - 10:51 AM, said:

Several months ago, I asked several questions about the sonic fandom. I am back, and asking more questions. Oh, joy.

1: What do you think will happen to SEGA in the next ten years? Will it survive as a company?

SEGA has several great franchises and is still innovative. I'm sure it will, given that it has lasted this long.

2: Assuming SEGA goes bankrupt, what will happen to the Sonic fandom and community at large?

The Sonic fandom will long outlast SEGA even if it were to go down. As long as there are games to be made, whether by SEGA or some other group/company, Sonic fans will remain active.

4: If you have an optimistic view of SEGA's future, what do you think will happen to the company? How will it stay relevant in the modern market?

SEGA needs to revive Sonic because he is an absolute goldmine of potential... but also keep its other successful franchises afloat by guaranteeing high quality and consistency.

5: Do you think fanmade content can qualitatively compete with official content? If so, why? If not, is it because of technical or stylistic errors? Or something else entirely?

Any content, fanmade or not, can compete given sufficient resources. Most fans do not have this but there is nothing stopping an ambitious group from doing so.

6: Do you think the Sonic fandom has superseded SEGA as the primary source of Sonic content?

With the 2D games, yes. With the 3D games, not yet.

7: If you make fan work of any kind, what motivates you to do so, and what kind of work is it?

I simply have a concept for a phenomenal 3D Sonic game. I'm motivated because I've desired it for a long time and I believe it would put Sonic back on equal footing with Mario in terms of widely positive reception and eventually sales.

8: Assuming you make fan work of any kind, on average, how long does it take to complete a project?

I'm a concept guy. I could produce a proof of concept relatively quickly with the right dev team.

9: If you could pitch a game idea to SEGA, what would it be, and how would it be different from any previous Sonic game?

I would develop an open world Sonic game. It would take the important fundamental aspects of the classic 2D gameplay and reimagine them as a completely new concept in a 3D world. Sonic would effectively be a greater version of Mario's Odyssey but within his own framework and unique style and vibrant world. Imagine Sonic 3-meets tony hawk-meets mirror's edge. It would kick Mario's ass.

10: Do you think SEGA should get more involved with its fanbase? If so, why? If not, why?

SEGA is too involved with the Sonic fanbase, which is one of its biggest problems. Sonic game sales have been declining and SEGA and Sonic Team listen to specific, surface-level complaints from among Sonic's divided fanbase rather than understanding the series fundamental issues on their own...they should unite behind ONE focused vision, ONE focused execution for an excellent Sonic concept themselves. SEGA should know its mascot, fully understand what drives his wider appeal and success without anyone having to tell them why, and protect him at all costs. He is the face of the company and still globally recognizable. He must be a guarantee of an excellent product: pure fun and joy!

I cannot speak on the other fanbases since they are much smaller than Sonic's.

This post has been edited by UpCDownCLeftCRightC: 11 November 2017 - 12:40 AM

#20 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:03 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Ugh - I can see why you did it but PLEASE don't use font colours like that in a post again.

#21 User is offline UpCDownCLeftCRightC 

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:05 PM

You can see why I did it but proceed to complain? Maybe just scroll down bud.

#22 User is offline TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:22 PM

• OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST
  • Project:Sonic 1 Color Contrast
Why did you do it? I don't see why.
This post has been edited by TheInvisibleSun: 11 November 2017 - 09:23 PM

#23 User is online Aesculapius Piranha 

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:23 PM

• つづく
  • Project:Diva
  • Wiki edits:6

View PostUpCDownCLeftCRightC, on 11 November 2017 - 09:05 PM, said:

You can see why I did it but proceed to complain? Maybe just scroll down bud.

If you can take the time to format your text in an annoying way, OL can take the time to request that you stop.

#24 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:27 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?

View PostTheInvisibleSun, on 11 November 2017 - 09:22 PM, said:

Why did you do it? I don't see why.

Ironically, for readability's sake.

#25 User is offline Ashram 

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:31 PM

• Wiki edits:13
Yeah, font coloring is a thing, but we're not allowed to use it. //forums.sonicretro.org/public/style_emoticons/default/v.png

#26 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:17 AM

• Sentient Cash Register
  • Wiki edits:1
Keep in mind not everybody is on rusted copper. It's painfully unreadable on Retro Blue.

#27 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:27 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
For what it's worth, the only reason font colouring hasn't been disabled entirely is because for some situations such as highlighting sections of code formats it does have uses. However anything more than that and you get users regularly using it for entire posts, along with custom fonts, and it ends up looking like the fucking sega.com boards. No-one wants that, hence unless you have a bloody good reason for it, you don't change font colours/formatting from the default.

#28 User is offline UpCDownCLeftCRightC 

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:16 AM

Yep. Won't do that again.

#29 User is offline Dr. Victor 

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:39 AM

I sincerely apologize for a lack of clarification and specificity. When I mistakenly referred to SEGA, I meant Sonic Team. And, SoNick, while I do understand your request for privacy, the paper isn't done yet. This is another segment of it. I'm doing this as a hobby and way to pass the time, I will make errors in asking questions, we (because it's my editor and I) occasionally slip up. The paper, if you so desire, will be uploaded here in full, after we remove our real names from it, when it is done. But it is not done yet.

#30 User is offline Jay 

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:54 AM

The paper, if you so desire, will be uploaded here in full, after we remove our real names from it, when it is done. But it is not done yet.

Could this be the next Bitcoin?

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users