Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 3D Blast MD, 2017 and beyond! - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 25 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Sonic 3D Blast MD, 2017 and beyond! Split screen!Debug mode with lost crab!Director's Cut!

#31 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:33 PM

  • 'tis the season
  • Posts: 3870
  • Joined: 27-December 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northumberland, England
  • Project:it's always the real thing
  • Wiki edits:20,569


have more raw footage

#32 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:02 PM

  • Posts: 10554
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spain
  • Wiki edits:18
Hadn't noticed until now that Sonic seems to have inbetween diagonal angles (as in, twice as many possible angles as the final version) with this control method. Neat.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 15 September 2017 - 02:06 PM

#33 User is offline Sodaholic 

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:31 PM

  • Posts: 1137
  • Joined: 05-September 04
  • Gender:Male
I have actually thought about how well (or not) tank controls would work in a Sonic game. Theoretically, it should provide the most direct control over the character, vs. being relative to the camera.

Would be an interesting experiment, but you'd have to figure out a good camera scheme. First person is out of the question (unless you don't spin the view when rolling, but then that's not really accurate, now is it?).

#34 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:36 AM

  • 'tis the season
  • Posts: 3870
  • Joined: 27-December 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northumberland, England
  • Project:it's always the real thing
  • Wiki edits:20,569

View PostSodaholic, on 15 September 2017 - 09:31 PM, said:

I have actually thought about how well (or not) tank controls would work in a Sonic game.

Sonic R - you can hold B to accelerate and use the D-Pad to turn.

(p.s. I'm not really sure where the term "tank controls" came from - surely the vast majority of racing games* have the same basic control scheme, it's just the camera that's different)



(*or driving a vehicle in real life!)

#35 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:24 AM

  • Posts: 10554
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spain
  • Wiki edits:18
I think the main idea behind "tank controls" is that you can turn around in place before moving forward.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 16 September 2017 - 06:26 AM

#36 User is offline Tadashi 

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:26 AM

  • 3fast5u
  • Posts: 523
  • Joined: 21-September 06
  • Gender:Male
Here's a good read on tank controls

Quote

For those who never had the privilege—or misfortune, depending on who you ask—of experiencing the infamous game mechanic, tank controls refers to movement that is relative to the character's orientation rather than the camera's. Pressing up always propels characters forward, while left and right rotate with no acceleration. Pressing down causes the character to walk backwards instead of turning around and running in that direction. Criticism, and the mechanic's name, come from the obvious fact that humans can move in any direction, making tank controls feel unnatural. It's like pushing around an invisible shopping cart at all times.


#37 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:52 AM

  • Posts: 225
  • Joined: 29-October 16
  • Gender:Male
I've always hated tank controls on anything other than racing games TBH. I really don't see a game Sonic game working with them.

#38 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 16 September 2017 - 01:38 PM

  • Arriving four years late.
  • Posts: 4611
  • Joined: 23-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lincs, UK
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL
Tank controls were useful for early 3D when you didn't have analogue controllers - the alternative is being restricted to eight-way movement, which is often worse.

There's no place for them in modern times outside of first/third-person shooters (where the camera is always facing in the same direction as the player anyway) and racing games.

#39 User is offline OKei 

Posted 27 September 2017 - 01:26 AM

  • OKeijiDragon
  • Posts: 1447
  • Joined: 04-September 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Blah
  • Project:YouTube
  • Wiki edits:11
A rare two-part version of 3D was made for the Sega Channel apparently (I didn't knew of this myself), and Mr. Burton has uploaded footage of it this evening.



#40 User is offline LukyHRE 

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:21 AM

  • The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar
  • Posts: 296
  • Joined: 01-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Project:Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostOKei, on 27 September 2017 - 01:26 AM, said:

A rare two-part version of 3D was made for the Sega Channel apparently (I didn't knew of this myself), and Mr. Burton has uploaded footage of it this evening.



Wow. They had to split the game because it wouldn't fit into the adapter's memory. There aren't any specs on the Sega Retro page for Sega Channel, so the adapter must have had less than 4MB avaliable for games. We can asume games with equal (or more? Don't know if a +4MB cartidge exists) size would have to be splitted somehow in order to get into the service.

What an interesting piece of history! Mr. Burton sure is a cool guy. Makes me wonder why they went through the development effort of splitting the game; surely someone way up wanted Sonic 3D Blast in the service no matter what.

#41 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:44 AM

  • NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Posts: 4125
  • Joined: 06-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:9

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 16 September 2017 - 03:36 AM, said:

View PostSodaholic, on 15 September 2017 - 09:31 PM, said:

I have actually thought about how well (or not) tank controls would work in a Sonic game.

Sonic R - you can hold B to accelerate and use the D-Pad to turn.

(p.s. I'm not really sure where the term "tank controls" came from - surely the vast majority of racing games* have the same basic control scheme, it's just the camera that's different)



(*or driving a vehicle in real life!)


It comes from games like alone in the dark or resident evil. The term refers to independent tank treads, which allows for certain vehicles to perform a zero-point radius turn, which is similar to how characters in those games can spin in place.

View PostLukyHRE, on 27 September 2017 - 03:21 AM, said:

View PostOKei, on 27 September 2017 - 01:26 AM, said:

A rare two-part version of 3D was made for the Sega Channel apparently (I didn't knew of this myself), and Mr. Burton has uploaded footage of it this evening.



Wow. They had to split the game because it wouldn't fit into the adapter's memory. There aren't any specs on the Sega Retro page for Sega Channel, so the adapter must have had less than 4MB avaliable for games. We can asume games with equal (or more? Don't know if a +4MB cartidge exists) size would have to be splitted somehow in order to get into the service.

What an interesting piece of history! Mr. Burton sure is a cool guy. Makes me wonder why they went through the development effort of splitting the game; surely someone way up wanted Sonic 3D Blast in the service no matter what.


They split plenty of games on sega channel. Mortal kombat 3 for example.

Sonic blast was available on sega channel before it actually released, it was a high profile test drive release.

#42 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 27 September 2017 - 01:03 PM

  • Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Posts: 16617
  • Joined: 12-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Berkshire, England
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
I would assume that's because of the 4MB ROM limit (without fucking about with bank-switching) that the Mega Drive has. Sonic 3D is 4MB, and you've also got to squeeze in the Sega Channel ROM somewhere, so...

#43 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:13 PM

  • 'tis the season
  • Posts: 3870
  • Joined: 27-December 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northumberland, England
  • Project:it's always the real thing
  • Wiki edits:20,569
To be fair they could have probably designed the Sega Channel to be able to store and run a 4MB game, but likely chose not to so that you'd have to spend more time on the menus.

As far as I'm aware Sega never put advertising on the Sega Channel, but it remained a possibility. Plus if faced more often with a list of games, you might be more tempted to buy full fat cartridges for whatever reason.

#44 User is offline Kat 

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:37 PM

  • Posts: 213
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Female
Sega Channel included some limited advertising messages while games downloaded. :)

#45 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:38 PM

  • Posts: 10980
  • Joined: 21-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostKat, on 27 September 2017 - 03:37 PM, said:

Sega Channel included some limited advertising messages while games downloaded. :)

Truly ahead of its time then.

  • 25 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users