Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 3D Blast MD, 2017 and beyond! - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 25 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic 3D Blast MD, 2017 and beyond! Split screen!Debug mode with lost crab!Director's Cut!

#1 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:44 PM

• Wiki edits:18
This just in!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qH4eZcTmVM4

Earliest build that exists (I think) and it even shows a cancelled split-screen test. I was very surprised to find this on my hard-drive as I didn't even remember it existed. A real slice of gaming history...

Highlights:
  • Split screen!
  • Different graphics in a partly built, Green Grove-ish test level.
  • Sonic controls like a Micro Machine. Can't jump or do anything other than move around like an idiot.

This post has been edited by ICEknight: 13 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

#2 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:49 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
Wow, I never expected to see split screen in 3D blast in any capacity. That's really cool, wonky sounding controls though.

I hope this guy finds more builds to show these are really cool.

#3 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:04 PM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9
This gamehut site has been killing it lately, wtf?

#4 User is offline CSketch 

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:22 PM

• The sketchiest guy you've ever seen
Controlling Sonic like that must've been a pain, I wonder if that was just a test or if they were really planning to go ahead with that...Probably the former. The splitscreen really interests me though! I wonder if it would be possible to reimplement it back into the game through hacking...However, hacking for the Sega Saturn is very scarce because I think I read that it was hella difficult? So we might never see it, kind of sad really, because I wish I could use the Super Sonic in 3D Blast hack on the Sega Saturn port since it controls way better.

Also dude, I really appreciate your efforts for giving us these super early prototype builds, but no matter how much Richard Jaques music you play, I shall still prefer the Genesis soundtrack...Even if the Sega Saturn version is basically superior in almost every other way.

#5 User is offline Skaarg 

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:44 PM

• Wiki edits:4
Can't blame them for scrapping this idea. Would have never worked well in faster parts of the game. Very cool that all of this is being released though. I'm curious if this means early on Tails and Knuckles were meant to be playable.

Also hi. :V

#6 User is offline Tadashi 

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:55 PM

• 3fast5u
Tank controls in a Sonic game? So glad they didn't do this. Imagine if they did and it set a trend, so e.g. Sonic Adventure would control like a classic Tomb Raider game.

#7 User is offline FollOw 

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:34 PM

• Up down and all around
  • Project:My own music, ask me about it
  • Wiki edits:1
Theres a Sonic R video he released in there too...great stuff!

#8 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:38 AM

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8

View PostCooljerk, on 07 September 2017 - 08:04 PM, said:

This gamehut site has been killing it lately, wtf?

It's cause it's is run by the founder of Traveller's Tales, Jon Burton.

Also it's a YouTube channel, not a website. :v:
This post has been edited by TimmiT: 08 September 2017 - 04:40 AM

#9 User is offline High Fidelity 

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:02 AM

Nice! Great that's he keeps sharing Sonic stuff from the TT days, would love to see more

Also, that music

EDIT didn't realize the founder went on to become exec producer on the Lego movie, that's quite an achievement
This post has been edited by High Fidelity: 08 September 2017 - 05:03 AM

#10 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:28 AM

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8

View PostHigh Fidelity, on 08 September 2017 - 05:02 AM, said:

EDIT didn't realize the founder went on to become exec producer on the Lego movie, that's quite an achievement

Well, all Traveller's Tales has been making for the past decade or so is Lego games, including The Lego Movie Videogame, so him being an executive producer on the movie makes sense.

#11 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:37 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Fantastic little video - nice to see a potential multiplayer WAS tried considering it was the first Sonic Mega Drive title since the very first one not to have one in some form (hell, even fucking ERASER has a 2P mode). A shame it didn't work.

#12 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:49 PM

View PostOverlord, on 08 September 2017 - 04:37 PM, said:

Fantastic little video - nice to see a potential multiplayer WAS tried considering it was the first Sonic Mega Drive title since the very first one not to have one in some form (hell, even fucking ERASER has a 2P mode). A shame it didn't work.

Sonic & knuckles has no multiplayer :V

#13 User is offline Chainspike 

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:24 PM

• Stealing rings since 1994
  • Project:Sonic sprite animation?
Whoa this is amazing, I certainly would have loved a competition mode in this game, shame it was scrapped. It also looks like the collision is like the Sonic crackers field stages where you can walk anywhere you want to.

Sonic & knuckles has no multiplayer :V

Pretty sure it actually does (leftover from Sonic 3) but I guess that wouldn't count because it's inaccessible.

#14 User is offline Chris-M 

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:47 PM

At first I thought that this was a build for the Saturn version with how good those graphics looked, I had to re-play the video from the beginning just to make sure. I'm disapppointed they didn't make to the final build, they look way better than the ones we've got. I didn't think the controls could get any worse with how slippery they are, but tank controls... I can't even imagine.

After watching the video I'm not surprised that they dropped the split-screen multiplayer, especially with the exploration focus on the game. Maybe it could have worked for a limited mode with smaller levels like Competition Mode on Sonic 3&K.

It would be nice to know the date of this build, since apparently TT was starting to develop games on that tight seven month schedule.

Also, according to a response to a comment, the Sonic Pool thing was never suggested for the Special Stages for the Saturn version.

#15 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 09 September 2017 - 12:55 AM

Tank controls aren't that bad when you get used to them. The way they describe the controls, they were like Micro machines. And that game is quite playable once you get the hang of them, allowing you to zip by.

• 25 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Yandex