Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: KingK's Sonic the Hedgehog retrospective. - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

KingK's Sonic the Hedgehog retrospective.

#1 User is offline JoePro 

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:14 AM

I just saw this video today, and I must say it is a very well made retrospective of the very first Sonic game. He goes into a lot of detail about how he feels about each individual zone, how it almost peaks at Green Hill Zone before slowing down at Marble Zone without fully recovering. It's a very impressive video, I highly reccomend anyone here to watch it. He also mentions how he is going to make another video about Sonic 2, whcih i am eager to watch.
This post has been edited by Overlord: 10 September 2017 - 12:52 PM
Reason for edit: Use plain URL, remove s from https

#2 User is offline Josh 

Posted 10 September 2017 - 01:01 PM

• TGC Warrior
  • Wiki edits:1
Yep, KingK does consistently excellent work, and I'm really looking forward to the rest of this series.

#3 User is online Lapper 

Posted 10 September 2017 - 01:36 PM

• Project:Sonic 2 HD, Sonic Maker
  • Wiki edits:111
I like that Sonic 1 has varied level layouts.

Don't take this as a negative at all, but Mania/3 and even 2 have levels that are all very simmilar with mainly visual changes. They ALL have large slopes, long declines, thousands of layers etc. 2 levels from 2 zones can have swapped graphics and they'd fit right in when swapped places. Trust me, more the better I love it. But I do appreciate the cherry picked variety in 1.

#4 User is offline tokumaru 

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:09 PM

• Project:Platformer for the NES
I'm slightly annoyed by the impression people who started with later games have of Sonic 1. I was lucky to experience Sonic 1 before Sonic 2 came out, and it was fantastic! It was a really fresh take on the platformer genre, and the lack of spindash or the presence of severel slow levels didn't bother anyone.

I'll probably never make peace with Labyrinth Zone because of my phobia of water levels, but I honestly like Marble and Scrap Brain. I don't feel the need to run all the time, so I find the slower levels just as legitimate as the fast ones.

As for the spindash, I don't rely on it so much in Sonic 2 and up, since I learned to control Sonic without it. Just like boost pads, the spindash is kind of a cheap way to gain speed, and the first game worked well without any of that.

Sonic 1 is a fine game, certainly not perfect, but not ridiculously inferior to the later entries in the series as some people make it out to be.

#5 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:53 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2
You all should watch his two Mania videos before going into this.

#6 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:57 PM

• Goodnik ambasador
  • Project:Too many of them
Me too, I always say the good thing about Sonic is the physics, and the speed is just a derived feature. I enjoy more replaying Sonic 1 than Sonic 2, and only see it really harder in special stages because the emeralds are really causing chaos there. Well, and Labyrinth boss is a thing, such a narrow and dangerous passage to go through it when water's rising...

Btw, I'm not scared by underwater levels, but was really scared as a not-so-kid by Sandopolis ghosts, or by falling to the bottom of the level through large empty areas, had they water or not. I think I feel your pain.

#7 User is offline WAC 

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:31 PM

• KITTIES!
  • Project:Kitty Pixel Art
I think I'm one of the only people on this planet who love Labyrinth Zone. I've always enjoyed the zones in Sonic 1 that put extra emphasis on platforming. I feel the momentum based physics of Sonic worked really well with tight platforming challenges and the slower pace of stages like Labyrinth allow people to do precise platforming without fear of going too fast to see where they are going. My only major complaint with Labyrinth are the annoying bubbles and lack of multi-branching paths. I always felt act 3 was the strongest act of that zone because of the bigger emphasis on exploration and secrets. Great retrospective by King K regardless. A lot of his work is great, so future episodes should be solid.

#8 User is offline Chris-M 

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:59 PM

As someone who's introduction to the franchise was this game I pretty much agree with the review. I also find Sonic 1 one of the harder games to finish (even without the Chaos Emeralds) because of the change in pace and level design that makes me grow tired of the game and stop playing. Green Hill is easy but it's a bit harder than other first levels, mainly if you take the lower paths and run into the spikes which I did when I was younger and didn't know what I was doing. If you know what you're doing then it's a short-lived Rollercoaster for the most part. Marble is a difficulty spike, it could've been worse, but it's still more difficult than Green Hill. I find that the rest of the game the difficuly remains the same or increases a little bit, besides Labyrinth, but the game feels slower. Though even if the level order was Green Hill, Spring Yard, Star Light, Marble, Labyrinth, Scrap Brain and Final, the difficulty would be similar if not the same and that wouldn't fix the level design problem. On the other hand, I think the problem with the slower levels can be fixed, adding faster sections and some branching paths, as well as less water in Labyrinth. Another thing is that the Spindash in Sonic 1 is not as useful as it is on 2 and 3&K because of the level design. In my opinion, Sonic 1 is a good game but it has some crippling flaws especially compared with it's sequels.

#9 User is offline Tadashi 

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:33 AM

I feel like this "wah, the classic games don't let me go fast all the time" complaint is getting a bit stale.

#10 User is offline Zephyr 

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:56 PM

That was a good review. I'm looking forward to his other ones (and I will now check out his Mania one).

I understand the issue he has with Marble Zone (and his issues are certainly legitimate ones) but I still think he's cutting the Zone too short. During many of the outdoor sections, you can skip multiple small fireball pits with small moonjumps, thanks to the slopes. During some of the blocks-floating-on-lava sections, you can literally jump over the lava if you have enough momentum. These things keep Marble from being strictly a blocky platforming level. It's still one of the game's weaker Zones, but there's still plenty of inherently Sonic-like merit to the Zone that he didn't mention in his critique of it. They're subtle, so I understand him missing those, but they're still there, so it's disappointing to see some of a weaker Zone's biggest strengths left un-mentioned.

As for Labyrinth, I do think it's a poor level to have in a Sonic game, at least as a full level. Its style of platforming is fine as a punishing lower path, and I like that a lot of later water levels do treat water as such a punishment. I still love the Zone though. It was the bane of my existence as a child, and having finally conquered it, it's now usually a triumphant joy to go through.

Disappointed he didn't mention (or seem to be aware of) the huge shortcut in Scrap Brain Act 3.
This post has been edited by Zephyr: 11 September 2017 - 04:24 PM

#11 User is offline JoePro 

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:22 PM

View PostTadashi, on 11 September 2017 - 05:33 AM, said:

I feel like this "wah, the classic games don't let me go fast all the time" complaint is getting a bit stale.

That's not exactly what he talked about in the video, though.

#12 User is offline Qjimbo 

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:19 PM

• Your friendly neighbourhood lemming.
  • Wiki edits:69
He's now done Sonic 2:

His Zelda retrospectives are worth checking out as well. Quite impressed with this guy's content.

#13 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:14 PM

• Project:Saerching for Google alternatives
  • Wiki edits:6
I've been subscribed to KingK for some time as he does excellent analysis of games (personally think this format is the future of reviews). He can really miss the mark at times but his contribution to getting the communites to think about the details in games has been great.

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users