Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Time Twisted (New Screenshots! 28-04-2015) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 8 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Time Twisted (New Screenshots! 28-04-2015)

#31 User is offline Vampsonic 

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

Great to see this project back up, I remember back when I played the SAGE demo and I loved it, and I'm sure this new version will be even better!

#32 User is offline FeliciaVal 

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:49 AM

I can finally see the gifs and that's brilliant work!! Can't wait to see more, I bet it's gonna be incredible once it's finished!

#33 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

• Project:Sonic 2 HD, Sonic Maker
  • Wiki edits:111
Nice, you are really good at drawing good simple genesis art... something I get too carried away with and ruin Dx Infact I almost want to do a redraw now....

But yeah, if and when this game gets put together, it'll be all kinds of awesome!

#34 User is offline Overbound 

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:29 AM

• Project:Sonic Time Twisted Creator
  • Wiki edits:236
Well I am going for a look similar to Sonic CD after all. This is a whale badnik I made for Perplex Puzzle.
Posted Image

#35 User is offline Overbound 

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

Titlescreen art based on a sketchs by Mercury and DerZocker.

Posted Image
This post has been edited by Overbound: 12 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

#36 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:19 PM

• Still waiting on Feel The Magic 3
  • Project:Tunes for Sonic Panic, among other things
  • Wiki edits:1
Goddamn that is amazing work. No words beyond that, haha.

#37 User is offline Namo 

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:07 AM

• take a screenshot of your heart
Those look fantastic, just really fantastic. It's tickling a spot in me that wishes Sonic stayed 2D and followed the aesthetic of the OVA.

This whole game looks good, really. Can't wait.

#38 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:04 AM

• 'tis the season
  • Project:it's always the real thing
  • Wiki edits:20,569
Hey so, bump because I played this at SAGE. Played previous demos at previous SAGEs too and this is better than those

but, disregarding obvious bugs and wacky difficulty curve from levels being played out of order or whatever:

- the introductory boss. The characters are running downhill, but if you spin, you slow down and are dragged towards the top left. Physics would have the characters dragged towards the bottom right. It's also a really awkward boss for characters like Knuckles, and you lose lives even though there's no HUD to indicate this

- I'm not a big fan of a lot of your graphics. Backgrounds blending in with foregrounds, washed out palettes, big discrepancies between the styles of character sprites and backgrounds. You've got some big spinning orbs in one level, which is neat, but dude, if you're going to resize, RotSprite that bitch. It's these weird sections where in once scene, you're limiting your palette to three or four colours, while in others, you have twice, maybe three times as many.

- The filters don't... filter. The idea of the composite filter in Kega Fusion is to mask the dithering and create the in-betweeny frames, which are used by Mega Drive artists for things like transparency. I promote it because original Sonic art was drawn with this stuff in mind - here the dithering is still visible when the filter is applied, but things are still blurry and most of the art doesn't really benefit. It's arguably a feature you don't need on a 16-million colour display - you just design your art differently. It really misses the mark when you rotate the dithered clouds in the introductory boss - that sort-of nullifies any reason to use the filter at all.

- Not a big fan of the music but audio's a valuable commodity so I'll keep that comment brief

Otherwise a genuine improvement over the last attempt, but, you know, lots of people involved now - I'm surprised some of this wasn't spotted
This post has been edited by Black Squirrel: 26 February 2014 - 05:06 AM

#39 User is offline WAC 

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:12 AM

• Owner of 14 Cats
  • Project:???
  • Wiki edits:2
So I'd really love to experience this demo, but there is very noticeable input lag with the controller support that's not present when playing the game with a keyboard. Using ControllerMax (formally known as CronusMax), I remapped the four buttons to bizarre places and had square, cross, and circle remapped to ASD. Unfortunately, the input lag was still there. I know it's not my controller or ControllerMax that's the problem because this issue is not present with my other games. Is there some way I can disable the official controller support?

#40 User is online Hinchy 

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

• Up And Down And All Around
  • Project:high quality video game rips
  • Wiki edits:32

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 26 February 2014 - 05:04 AM, said:

stuff

Do remember that this is basically an alpha, though, so a lot of the things you mentioned, especially technically speaking, is just stuff we're already aware of and working towards fixing.
The dev team worked very hard and quickly to put out this demo for SAGE and as such there's a lot things that were missed or skipped over because of time pressure, especially because real life got in the way at the last moments in some particularly nasty ways.
As one example, I can confirm that you used to not be able to lose lives on the intro boss; someone must have broke it in a later build. (That's the downside of having a larger team. Oops!)
We have a issue list containing that bug and much more that the dev team is working through, and we hope to deliver an updated version of the demo with as many fixes as we can soon.
The input lag issue mentioned above by W.A.C. (and others in other places) is particularly concerning and we're gonna do what we can to get that fixed up.

Not meaning to bitch, though - we appreciate your feedback!
This post has been edited by Hinchy: 26 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

#41 User is offline Azu 

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:07 AM

• I must be stupid.
I can't really play it with that screen cut off issue. =E Has that been fixed yet?

#42 User is offline stescoedw 

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

• Project:College
I like your fan game but I would like to address some issues. I get what you are trying to do with Knuckles' running animation but it looks a little awkward. His original Chaotix running sprite would work just fine. His glide is a bit stiff too. But the 32x sprites are nice. Just touch them up a bit and make them more like the ones in Chaotix.

And for some reason when I fight Metal Sonic the rings don't appear anymore. I don't know if this happens with anybody else.

I also am not able to use my down arrow key when playing the game which means I can't duck, roll or do spin dash. Luckily I have my game pad to get around that but this may be an issue for those who don't use game pads.

Other than that I've enjoyed playing this fan game the most. You did a very good job with the level design. There are so many alternate paths to explore.
This post has been edited by stescoedw: 27 February 2014 - 08:52 AM

#43 User is offline Overbound 

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:43 AM

I'll be updating the TT demo in just a few minutes. Details will be on the front of SAGExpo's website.

#44 User is offline WAC 

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:42 AM

• Owner of 14 Cats
  • Project:???
  • Wiki edits:2
Temporarily, you might want to get rid of controller support altogether or release an alternative version of the demo with code for controller support completely removed. When I disable controller support and use X-Padder with keyboard keys mapped to my DualShock 4, I still get input lag. I don't have this problem with any other game, so there's something very unusual about the controller support if disabling it still affects X-Padder. Sucks because I was looking forward to this demo more than anything else from SAGE 2014 Act 1.

#45 User is offline Overbound 

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

Hmmm not sure then. So you are saying keyboard input is lagging too?

Joevan is starting to question whether it's the joystick code at all causing it, since deactivating the joystick didn't fix the issue.

I'm sorry you are having issues with the game. But you must understand I had to switch engines last June and the engine wasn't even finished. Since then we've built 6 levels plus all the gimmicks, badniks, character moves, bosses and almost everything else. I say this because I want everyone to understand we've come far in roughly 8 months and my pace is not going to slow down. You will see the full version of this game and it will be relatively bug free.

• 8 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users