Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Team Sonic Racing (Sumo Digital/Early 2019) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 39 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Team Sonic Racing (Sumo Digital/Early 2019)

#541 User is offline Frostav 

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:37 PM

View PostHP Zoner, on 19 February 2019 - 05:18 PM, said:

View PostYeow, on 19 February 2019 - 02:02 PM, said:

Meanwhile, CTR: Nitro-Fuel, assuming it includes the entire roster from the original game, has 15 like TSR. But that makes sense given that it's --surprise surprise-- a remake of a game from two decades ago, compared to TSR being a new experience / new entry. There's also a good chance the developers may add new characters to expand the roster (a popular theory I've seen is that Spyro could be added as a racer).

Nitro-Fueled already has TSR beat in terms of character count, since they're making Oxide playable this time around. For what it's worth, there's been talk of DLC too, though nothing officially confirmed in terms of characters (I'd be surprised if Spyro didn't make it to the game one way or another, especially since they were coming up with concepts for a Spyro-themed track).

I'm curious, though: are there a lot of Modern Sonic characters people wish were included in TSR? Most of the mainstays are already in, though I can understand why anyone would be upset at Zavok taking just about anyone else's place. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen anyone who genuinely likes the guy. I'm sure there are people out there who do, but surely they must be in the minority? It's weird that Sega doesn't seem to let go of him for some reason.

I know a guy who unironically has Silver (SILVER!) as his favorite character in the series. I have never met anyone who actually even merely LIKES Zavok, let alone put him in their top 10/5/whatever. That says something if I'm so deep into furry Sonic twitter that I know unironic Silver fans.

Anyway Hidden Volcano looks like it was supposed to be a Lava Reef track but then they realized LRZ is a Classic zone so they just...kinda altered it a little bit. Sigh. I just want to see Classic Sonic zones and aesthetics in 3D, and this game seems like it's actively avoiding that.

#542 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:48 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostFrostav, on 21 February 2019 - 04:37 PM, said:

I know a guy who unironically has Silver (SILVER!) as his favorite character in the series. I have never met anyone who actually even merely LIKES Zavok, let alone put him in their top 10/5/whatever. That says something if I'm so deep into furry Sonic twitter that I know unironic Silver fans.

Silver has his fans surprisingly. I really don't think he's a bad character, he's just never been properly utilized gameplay wise. Either he's there in a party game spin off or it's 06 and Rivals, neither of which did a whole lot for the character. If Silver ever played like he did in the Generations Boss Fight I think he'd be a great character.

#543 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:49 PM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash

View PostDark Sonic, on 21 February 2019 - 04:34 PM, said:

That fucking Forces Death Egg Robot though. Like, look, if they're so adamant on keeping the modern and classic series separate, then why do they keep designing those robots after the ones in Sonic 2? Make a new design or something already (or just stop using Death Egg Robots...)

On that note—this is very much a nitpick, but I can't help but find it kind of dumb that ever since they brought back the concept of small animals for the newer games (whether as NPCs, in badniks/animal capsules, or otherwise) for the recent games, they've always used the Genesis designs. Even though the Adventure series had their own set of visibly distinct small animals. They really stick out like a sore thumb IMO when they are paired with the cast with their current designs because they clearly aren't using the same design principles (and it's not a deliberate design choice).

Posted Image

It's a very obvious example of them being oddly (and superficially) selective of the stuff from the original games they want to use. Like the whole notion of reusing Green Hill everywhere nowadays (and making direct copies of its aesthetics in Splash Hill and Windy Hill), when before they had no problem with creating original locales.

#544 User is offline XCubed 

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:32 PM

• Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center
  • Wiki edits:5

View PostYeow, on 21 February 2019 - 12:21 PM, said:

Music track for Hidden Volcano up.

Collab between Jun Senone and dangerkids' Tyler Smyth (who also worked on Forces' OST).

It sounds more like a hybrid of Ohtani's work of Runners and Forces to me, however.

Really? I'm not keen on this one. It just sounds like they dug up a rejected SA2B 2-player track.

#545 User is offline SuperSnoopy 

Posted 22 February 2019 - 05:58 AM

• I prefer Sonic Advance to Sonic 2
  • Project:Learning how to fucking draw
Damn I love this track, I may not be too interested in the game but I sure as hell will buy the soundtrack.

#546 User is offline HP Zoner 

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:38 AM

• Project:Crash Mania

View PostYeow, on 21 February 2019 - 08:49 PM, said:

On that note—this is very much a nitpick, but I can't help but find it kind of dumb that ever since they brought back the concept of small animals for the newer games (whether as NPCs, in badniks/animal capsules, or otherwise) for the recent games, they've always used the Genesis designs. Even though the Adventure series had their own set of visibly distinct small animals. They really stick out like a sore thumb IMO when they are paired with the cast with their current designs because they clearly aren't using the same design principles (and it's not a deliberate design choice).

Modern Sonic is the definition of inconsistency. It's been going through an identity crisis since at least Sonic Heroes. Plot holes, retcons, clashing character designs, it's all there. The only way for it to make sense again is through a reboot, which Unleashed (and especially Colors) seemed to be going for, until Generations screwed things up even further.

#547 User is offline Diablohead 

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:37 AM

• Indie dev
  • Project:games
  • Wiki edits:16
The screenshots of the lava track, the first thing that came to mind was "where are the shadows from the lava light source?"

I feel like this game is going to be a disspointment.

#548 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:20 AM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostFrostav, on 21 February 2019 - 04:37 PM, said:

I just want to see Classic Sonic zones and aesthetics in 3D, and this game seems like it's actively avoiding that.
Me too, but not in a Modern Sonic game.
Same as I wouldn't want Modern levels in Classic Sonic's, outside of the context of yet another anniversary game.

#549 User is offline Laughingcow 

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:36 AM

View PostHP Zoner, on 22 February 2019 - 07:38 AM, said:

View PostYeow, on 21 February 2019 - 08:49 PM, said:

Modern Sonic is the definition of inconsistency. It's been going through an identity crisis since at least Sonic Heroes. Plot holes, retcons, clashing character designs, it's all there. The only way for it to make sense again is through a reboot, which Unleashed (and especially Colors) seemed to be going for, until Generations screwed things up even further.

Yeah, pretty much. I made a thread about the this awhile back.
http://forums.sonicr...showtopic=38184

Perhaps this is exactly WHY they should go back to Adventure Sonic (aside so we can stop calling him "Modern Sonic" which is a stupid fucking name). If they limit the scope to Adventure, Adventure 2, Heroes, Shadow, the Advance series, and the Rush series, there is some semblance of an identity they can cobble together because the only thing post-Sonic Unleashed has been is one sad Meta joke. Not to derail the thread but what is Team Sonic Racing other than a generic kart racer with Sonic characters? What in this game other than Sonic & co, makes this a Sonic game? Okay, the awesome soundtrack, yes, but there needs to be more than that.

#550 User is offline dot.kh 

Posted 23 February 2019 - 03:34 PM

• puniboy 4 president
Nice easy tune with a lack of refinement. I wonder which character type is best? :/ Still like it, but all this talk about Sonic's future is nerve-racking. Win over the crowds, everything else is gravy. What will the next game be about?

#551 User is offline Jason 

Posted 07 March 2019 - 01:23 PM

• *Results not lab tested.

Looks like the video Arin and Jirard were involved with came out.
This post has been edited by Jason: 07 March 2019 - 01:24 PM

#552 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 07 March 2019 - 03:03 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
Oh boy, there he is, Mr. "I actively bash Sonic games on my channel all the time" Grump himself returning for yet another Sonic Social Media stunt.

Continuing with the "any exposure is good exposure" model I see huh Aaron?

#553 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:17 PM

• Wiki edits:6
What does this video actually have to do with TSR and why does it look like neither of the YouTube "celebrities" want to be there?

Christ this game is being sent out to die.

#554 User is offline Laura 

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:18 PM

• Brightened Eyes
I didn't actually realise this was a trailer for TSR so thanks for the update guys :v:

#555 User is offline Casshern 

Posted 07 March 2019 - 05:04 PM

I think these kind of videos are harmless, but the reason why a lot of people always have a backlash to this kind of content is because the rest of the marketing is not doing the heavy lifting.

If you remember the same thing happened to the Sonic Forces video with The Completionist, Syndicate, and MatPat. The marketing campaign wasn't so hot for Forces and the game had already come out so a lot of people didn't care unless you were a fan of those three. And at that point it felt like what was the point.

(Seems like a lot of people watched it because of MatPat, and I still can't believe they invited the Syndicate after his child CS:GO gambling website scandal.)

At this point it does feel like they're selling us a soundtrack instead of a game. One cool thing I hope they start showing after SXSW is how the game works.

They could do videos or just tutorials with the mechanics of the game that do seem interesting and definitely need more awareness to show what makes this racing game unique.

• 39 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users