Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Utopia - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 16 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Utopia An experimental 3D Sonic fan game.

#226 User is offline Murasaki Fox 

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:39 PM

View PostIceman404, on 17 November 2017 - 05:24 AM, said:

Are the physics and controls for not moving extremely fast being tweaked? Utopia controls pretty fantastic for physics and momentum play at high speed, but I feel it'd be better if things scaled down when moving slowly. A complaint I almost immediately had was that it just didn't feel tight enough when trying to walk and straight up platform, all my turns and movements felt really 'gradiented' into smooth curves I didn't want. Turning in the air actually steers you rather than just changing angle and slightly influencing your momentum if you keep holding it (all this on top of Sonic's classic low acceleration is too much for me). I feel like mapping for this can only be limited to big sections and pieces of land rather than really intricate and tight level design that requires more precision; that stuff helps break up the gameplay.

I've been working a great deal on refining the physics calculations, including much more easing for steering controls, and we've been tweaking the values over time. The next demo should feel much better to control!

#227 User is offline Iceman404 

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:24 PM

• Almost 10 years of trial membership
  • Wiki edits:3
Ah, sweet! That gives me hope that the level design can be as varied and creative as it wants, versatile controls're needed!

• 16 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users