Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: SPOILER Sonic Forces Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 390 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

SPOILER Sonic Forces Thread

#5836 User is offline Fenrir 

Posted Yesterday, 02:50 PM

• Eh.
Man, I've been somewhat quiet about my thoughts on this game until now, but now I just feel like rambling... This game hurts man.

I like the boost formula. It's not perfect but I hold Colors and Generations as second only to Adventure 1 as my favorite 3D Sonic games (Note: I say that knowing Adventures many, many flaws). To see it reduced to what it is in Forces is just painful. After Lost World, people pleaded Sonic Team to just go back and refine the boost formula, as it was showing some genuine promise in Generations, and when they do, they make the baffling decision of using Lost World's engine and all of its control problems with it.

The level design is attrocious no matter who you're playing as. Like, I know people roll their eyes at statements like this, but I've seen fan projects with better level design than what a team of 3 people managed to come up with over more than a years worth of development. The lack of time I actually got to spend playing the game compared to watching it is sickening.

And the story... God dammit, I wanted to love this story so badly. Im working on a Creative Writing for Entertainment Bachelor's right now, so I see all of these glimmers of a genuinely good story amidst the mess of a plot we have now, and every chance they have to take advantage of it they quite literally glance over it like it's nothing. The premise is right up my alley. I can literally fix almost everything wrong with the script and structure of this game in an afternoon of brainstorming. I just can't stand it.

People keep saying "Well hey, the game shows potential. And all things considered it isn't even close to the worst Sonic game." In what world is that an acceptable excuse?! We are a part of a franchise that has been quite literally the butt of every gamer's joke for more than a decade. And we STILL pull excuses like "At least it isn't the worst game"? How do you people think Sonic Team keeps getting away with all this mediocrity?

Just... Ugh. I really can't contribute anything that hasn't already been said. This game actively angers me in a way no Sonic game ever has.
This post has been edited by Fenrir: Yesterday, 02:52 PM

#5837 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted Yesterday, 03:33 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
First 3D Sonic game I've skipped. OC creator is a big draw for non-fans though.

#5838 User is offline 360 

Posted Yesterday, 03:46 PM

• Daft Punk Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon

View PostAerosol, on Yesterday, 03:33 PM, said:

Same here dude. I've been buying Sonic games day one since the Master System but there's just too many negative impressions from those that have completed it. Feels bad man.

It's such a shame because the game initially seemed so promising. Sega/Sonic Team are really going to have try harder next time.

#5839 User is offline HP Zoner 

Posted Yesterday, 04:56 PM

• Project:Crash Mania

View Post360, on 19 November 2017 - 01:46 PM, said:

Out of interest did anyone here genuinely enjoy the game and think it was decent?

I bought a used copy of the bonus edition at half price, and it included the bonus cards unopened and the DLC unused. Ordinarily, I'd say this was a pretty decent deal given how recent the game is, but everything about it is so underwhelming that I'm just left with an empty feeling. And I had a pretty good idea what I was getting into in the first place.

I think this is the first time I've played something that feels the same as watching a YouTube playthrough. Even for a 3D Sonic game, Forces is extremely automated. I'm actually shocked at how scripted everything is. Every time something remotely interesting happens, it's as if the game yanks the controller away from you and decides to play itself. Maybe next time we'll get a game where Sonic jumps on his own (he already turns automatically, so why stop there?)

To be clear, the automation is far from my only problem with the game, but it's what stood out to me the most. The level design is mind-numbing and the character movement is atrocious, but I feel like that horse was already dead before the game came out, so I'll just leave it at that. Suffice to say that each and every one of our concerns before release was not unfounded (if there was ever any doubt). To say nothing of the haphazardous plot.

I honestly found the avatar creation tool more engaging than anything else, which is... really saying something, given how shallow it is. Actually, that's probably the best adjective to describe Forces. Oh well. I've never dabbled in fan characters or anything like that, but at least I managed to recreate and play as Fang the Sniper, so that's something.

As for actual positives? I enjoyed the avatar's songs when I wasn't paying attention to the awful lyrics (even if that comes with the territory). The music in Sonic's stages isn't exactly bad, but that synth they use in every single track gets old fast. I wish we could have had more stuff like the laid-back music that plays in the indoors section of Chemical Plant, but even that uses the same goddamn synth like they were on a contract or something.

Not that the rest of the game is awful, per se. To be honest, I'm more upset at the wasted potential than anything else, but I suppose that's the general sentiment among those who've played it. I'm just glad I didn't give Sega any money for it.
This post has been edited by HP Zoner: Yesterday, 04:58 PM

#5840 User is offline MissingNoGuy 

Posted Yesterday, 08:25 PM

• Sounds totally automated.
I'm really bummed out by this game. A lot. Like, the continuation of Mania and the premise of it seemed so cool. It's not horrible, just very mediocre and a lot of wasted potential. The soundtrack is fucking stellar like most Sonic games, but it's gonna be a while until I can listen to it and dissociate from the game itself.

#5841 User is offline SaturnJaguar 

Posted Yesterday, 09:01 PM

View Post360, on Yesterday, 03:46 PM, said:

View PostAerosol, on Yesterday, 03:33 PM, said:

Same here dude. I've been buying Sonic games day one since the Master System but there's just too many negative impressions from those that have completed it. Feels bad man.

It's such a shame because the game initially seemed so promising. Sega/Sonic Team are really going to have try harder next time.

The last few days leading up to the release was just the nail in the coffin for me: no review copies, that 1 minuet demo, first impressions from broken street dates being just "okay", and just overall not being impressed from the posts on the official Sonic YouTube. It was a just a mountain of stuff happening that was like "wow, that totally didn't just happen".

I am glad that the game's length alone warranted a $40 budget price anyways, but I just wasn't interested at all.

Side note: It is cool that they're packing it with Puyo Pop Tetris to give that game a boost (bah-dum-tish) in sales.

Edit: Europe only. Damn it.
This post has been edited by SaturnJaguar: Today, 02:37 AM

• 390 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

6 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google,
  2. Member: LukyHRE,
  3. Yandex