Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: General Project Screenshot/Video Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 309 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

#4621 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:33 AM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9

View PostChimera, on 01 September 2017 - 06:43 AM, said:

oooohhh this looks neato. Definitely interested in where this goes.

Emerald hill with a purple tinge looks really pretty tbh.

It was sort of just a coincidence that it wound up that color. Its not obvious, but that was a test for a script to handle palette rotation, the blue subchannel for those palette enteries were increasing (or decreasing) every frame as a test of the script.

The blues for the waterfall also were rotating, albeit once every two frames. Again, just testing the script.
This post has been edited by Cooljerk: 01 September 2017 - 07:34 AM

#4622 User is offline LoneDevil 

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:03 PM

• Project:[TOP SECRET]
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4623 User is offline SuperSnoopy 

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:08 PM

• I prefer Sonic Advance to Sonic 2
  • Project:Learning how to fucking draw
Are you sure it's not a sequel to metal sonic hyperdrive :v:

#4624 User is offline EightC 

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:03 PM

First I would just like to say hello, I'm new to the forums. I've been looking through this thread for awhile now and there is some incredible stuff that everyone is working on.

I've been wanting to experiment with recreating some of the older Sonic stages in 3D and eventually getting something up and running in either Unreal or Unity (not sure yet). I've decided to start with a smaller test area by doing some assets from Scrap Brain Zone from Sonic 1. Much like sprite tile sets my goal is to build modular pieces like these to put the stage itself together. I've only just started but I've finished up my first tile and thought I would share my work and continuing progress.

This image shows the original asset, my baked AO (ambient occlusion) and just a quick test rendered in Marmoset Toolbag with the normal map applied.
Posted Image

Updated with base textures
Posted Image
This post has been edited by EightC: 02 September 2017 - 01:05 AM

#4625 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:16 PM

• Wiki edits:6
I'm still debating to what extent and when the finished version of this should be released, but Cooljerk wanted me to post about it publicly because he's been hinting at its existence a few times now so here it is.

This is one of the first builds I had running on Dreamcast, the video is from mid-July. The serious graphical issues are due to memory constraints on the DC and crap I stripped out just to get it to fit. The rendering code has been mostly re-written since then to use hardware palettes on the DC, which reduces texture memory use to 1MB but I haven't actually finished hooking it up.
The SDL / macOS build supports file redirection natively, similar to what MainMemory just did for Mania. No SDL / Windows build yet, but that was never the point.

This doesn't get worked on very often, and I was actually hoping to finish for the 5th anniversary last year but did not. It probably won't be done this year either, and I still need to decide if including the source is a really bad idea or not. It's C like the originals, specifically so it could easily be ported to Dreamcast.

Edit: Just to clarify, this stuff will not really help with Mania at all. The stage format, byte code opcodes, config format, etc. have all changed.
This post has been edited by sonicblur: 02 September 2017 - 11:47 AM

#4626 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:31 AM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9

View Postsonicblur, on 01 September 2017 - 06:16 PM, said:

I'm still debating to what extent and when the finished version of this should be released, but Cooljerk wanted me to post about it publicly because he's been hinting at its existence a few times now so here it is.

This is one of the first builds I had running on Dreamcast, the video is from mid-July. The serious graphical issues are due to memory constraints on the DC and crap I stripped out just to get it to fit. The rendering code has been mostly re-written since then to use hardware palettes on the DC, which reduces texture memory use to 1MB but I haven't actually finished hooking it up.
The SDL / macOS build supports file redirection natively, similar to what MainMemory just did for Mania. No SDL / Windows build yet, but that was never the point.

This doesn't get worked on very often, and I was actually hoping to finish for the 5th anniversary last year but did not. It probably won't be done this year either, and I still need to decide if including the source is a really bad idea or not. It's C like the originals, specifically so it could easily be ported to Dreamcast.

So glad you came forth with this man, amazing work!

#4627 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted Yesterday, 02:43 PM

• The architect of the universe, didn't build a stairway, leading nowhere.
  • Wiki edits:16
Posted Image

• 309 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Yandex