Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic ERaZor – Fulfilled Edition - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 11 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic ERaZor – Fulfilled Edition Sixth Public Release — 05/10/2016

#16 User is offline Yuzoboy 

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:10 PM

Very nice ideas have gone into this, well done:)

#17 User is offline Jimmy Hedgehog 

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:27 PM

• Project:RAoSTH (Sprite Comic), Sawnik (Still need a better name)
  • Wiki edits:2
I'm actually really enjoying this hack. The levels don't seem that difficult to me (though of course you did say it's easier than previous releases) and the special stage just takes a bit of getting used to. But yeah I really like this gameplay, fun stuff.

#18 User is offline Selbi 

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

• Impaled with Extreme Prejudice
  • Project:Sonic ERaZor
  • Wiki edits:320
*Shameless bump...*

So, here we are, over one month since the release. I decided to create a very small bugfix with minor modifications. I did all of these fixes today, not within the last month. I just felt like doing it again today. :V

These fixes include:

• Fixed Eggman having no face after defeating him.
  • Removed some of the non-working GOAL blocks in the Special Stage.
  • Made sure you will see all screens in the credits.
  • Fixed fighting two crabmeat bosses at the same time.
  • Fixed some issues with the Inhuman Mode in Green Hill Place.
  • Minor modification on the Press Start Button text and Sonic on the title screen.

Thanks to everyone who reported these bugs and suggestions. :)

However, I wasn't able to fix all bugs. The reason for this is, that I wasn't able to re-create some of the reported bugs, thus making it impossible for me to fix them.

Downloadlink is the same: http://selbi.hapisan.com/erazor

PS: You could say that this is a somehow a frustrated attempt to get more attention. Two years of hard work for two pages of replies wasn't really what I was looking for and it made me sad. It makes you feel like you just wasted your time, and we are talking about over 300 hours here. It just saddens me, that many people only care about modern hacking these days. Makes me feel like I joined the scene way too late.

#19 User is offline total 

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:58 PM

• Wiki edits:1

View PostSelbi, on 23 July 2011 - 01:11 PM, said:

It just saddens me, that many people only care about modern hacking these days. Makes me feel like I joined the scene way too late.

"Many people"? Really? There are shitloads of sonic 1 and sonic 2 hacks, yet, not a single complete hack of any "modern" game.
Nobody cares about anything above Sonic Adventure, except of getting resources (models, textures) for nothing (Do I need to mention dumb recolors and other crap)?. Actually even SADX hacking is (and always was) dead imo. And I doubt that one day things will change.

PS: I'm sorry for going off-topic, but I was somewhat hurt by this statement.

#20 User is offline TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:36 PM

• OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST
  • Project:Sonic 1 Color Contrast

PS: You could say that this is a somehow a frustrated attempt to get more attention. Two years of hard work for two pages of replies wasn't really what I was looking for and it made me sad. It makes you feel like you just wasted your time, and we are talking about over 300 hours here. It just saddens me, that many people only care about modern hacking these days. Makes me feel like I joined the scene way too late.

Don't feel discouraged; I love this hack, and I think it is very awesome. I don't post that often, (especially during school, as I am ridiculously busy then) so I haven't really been able to respond much. This hack is especially commendable for its craziness and unique qualities, which give it a special feel that one doesn't see very often in hacks. This is something I aspire to invoke when I finish my Sonic 1 hack. You've done a great job with this!

#21 User is offline Namo 

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:19 AM

• take a screenshot of your heart

I just do not understand why I keep seeing this. I have only seen one 'modern' hack - Dude's Mushroom Zone. Yes there are a few topics on messing with the modern games like the unused videos in Sonic Mega Collection and all the Sonic Generations resource ripping, which you really can't count as hacking if we're going by the terms of "taking a game and changing it"- people are just ripping out the innards. Everything else I see isn't modern hacking. In fact, take a look at all the topics that have been active in the past month - you'll see Sonic 2 Heroes, The S Factor, Sonic 1 Twisted, etc.

#22 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:42 AM

• It's Saturday TV Toons!! (90's Style)
  • Wiki edits:16
The idea that people are more interested in modern game hacking is something you're misinterpreting, as "total" said, it appears people are more interested in the resources, hidden gimmicks, ideas and stuff that were cut from the game (basically taking an interest in the professional's work and making something of it), after all, you can't really pass judgement on that as it's one of the sole reasons why we're all here (I.e. research, Hidden Palace Zone, beta's, etc). You might also want to consider that some people often play games and/or hacks just for music or graphics alone, and if any of those are lacking it tends to put people off wanting to play or explore the game/hack, hence why many may have never seen the technical and gaming aspects of your project which is further in the game (like your LZ level with the rising and dropping screen of death).

Attempting to blame the audience for not taking an interest is like a company blaming the consumers for not buying their products, in reality their products having a lack of attention on the packet is the reason, not the consumers, and it is the company's responsibility to provide the interesting covers or advertisements in order to gain the consumers attention that they need, the same would apply for your hack, show them what they're missing. (Having said that "blame" is probably the worst choice of words, but I can't think of anything better to use).

#23 User is online 360 

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:01 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon

Dude I can totally see your point. You have hacks like Sonic 2 Heroes that is really only based around one slight and simplistic modification that has 42 pages of replies and then you plough two years of work into something of this magnitude and Sonic Retro lets it slide down the page. It doesn't really seem fair. I don't really do this anymore but back in my teens posting about your project and getting meaningful feedback was the only real endgame (and reward) to the completion of the project that really does mean alot to whomever is working on the game.

When I have more free time I'll give this a shot and write something up for you.
This post has been edited by 360: 26 July 2011 - 07:02 PM

#24 User is offline Robochao 

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:22 PM

Selbi, there is no need to down yourself. You've done an excellent job here on this hack and the kind words given to you in this thread IMO, are way more valuable than numbers. I've never hacked anything before but if I spent over 300 hours hacking something in which the final product resembles this, I'd be proud. Super proud.

This is just awesome. I took a break from playing it on my Wii to tell you this. Keep on fighting.

#25 User is offline Selbi 

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for the refreshing words guys. It does make me feel like the work didn't go down the drain entirly. After all, I did get about 600 downloads for the third public release alone so far, which created a couple of YouTube videos and that has to mean something.

View Post360, on 26 July 2011 - 07:01 PM, said:

You have hacks like Sonic 2 Heroes that is really only based around one slight and simplistic modification that has 42 pages of replies and then you plough two years of work into something of this magnitude and Sonic Retro lets it slide down the page.
After reading that sentence, I thought about something: Maybe it's simply being jealous at hacks like Sonic 2 Heroes getting like never ending feedback, while my thread pretty much died before it became popular. Possibly, this bugfix release was just me being a little attention whore like kid shouting "LOOK AT ME AND NOT THE OTHERS". :v:

#26 User is offline Hanoch 

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:39 PM

• Also known as TheKnock, Birashot
  • Project:everything
  • Wiki edits:8
I agree with you, selbi. Mostly there are only modern games researching threads, and not even a single active hack topic, with the exception of Sonic 3 in 1 and Sonic 2 Heroes. Which to be honest, don't really give anything new. Sonic 3 in 1 is just all games in 1 ROM, and Sonic 2 Heroes uses an existing modern concept adapted to Sonic 2. No really new fresh ideas and achieving new level art/layout/music (with the exception of The S factor, but that didn't get an update for a while, so its kinda lame waiting for something to happen in this forum)

But remember that all those MD sonic hacks werent started from nothing, it started from a little researching of the engine, which then was followed by awesome hacks that achieved great fame, when new members come here they are possibly ashamed to show their hacks around because you can always do much more, with all the new tools and resources you have now. Like how simple palette edits aren't amazing, unless done beautifly.

#27 User is offline Hayate 

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:25 PM

• Wiki edits:70
I played the new version last night, since I was going through all the music hacks I had and couldn't find ERaZor for some reason. :v: It's great to see that this hack is still being worked on!

If you don't mind me saying though... could the overworld and narrative boxes be made optional? I really loved just being able to go straight from the end of one level to the start of the next without even a results screen. :)

#28 User is offline Selbi 

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

View PostHayate, on 26 August 2011 - 12:25 PM, said:

I played the new version last night, since I was going through all the music hacks I had and couldn't find ERaZor for some reason. :v: It's great to see that this hack is still being worked on!

If you don't mind me saying though... could the overworld and narrative boxes be made optional? I really loved just being able to go straight from the end of one level to the start of the next without even a results screen. :)

Hayate! Damn, I've been waiting for your replay the entire time, where've you been? :V

On a serious note, the result screens are disabled by default, at least to my knowledge. Not sure if I accidently re-enabled them. The story textes are optional in some way. Just press Enter two times and it will fade out (the first one to display the entire text without the writing part / the second one for leaving the screen). To my knowledge, I didn't make the chapter screens skipable.

However, I did notice a few more bugs I should fix. So I might as well just mash a new option for a story-free game.

I'm not going to work on any greater extensions for this game though. I was really, really disappointed by the low feedback, my hack generated. Hacking just doesn't feel the same anymore, when nobody, or at least many people, don't give a shit. Read the rest of this topic for more information.
This post has been edited by Selbi: 26 August 2011 - 02:38 PM

#29 User is offline Blackhearted Knight 

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:28 PM

• Wolfsbane706
I never really took the time to look at this 'til now. I'm regretting waiting. This has potential, that much is obvious. I'm looking forward to playing it later, and maybe I'll have something to nitpick about. Who knows.

#30 User is offline Hayate 

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:50 AM

• Wiki edits:70

View PostSelbi, on 26 August 2011 - 02:37 PM, said:

On a serious note, the result screens are disabled by default, at least to my knowledge. Not sure if I accidently re-enabled them. The story textes are optional in some way. Just press Enter two times and it will fade out (the first one to display the entire text without the writing part / the second one for leaving the screen). To my knowledge, I didn't make the chapter screens skipable.

Oops - I didn't mean to say I was getting results screens, just that I liked how the previous version didn't have *anything* between the levels at all. :P

My opinion's always been that the Genesis games tell their stories with cutscenes, not by putting a load of text on the screen.

Tis a shame you won't be doing much more with the hack though, I would have loved to see what you could do with Star Light Zone.

• 11 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users