Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 71 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread Mighty and Ray Are Back In Town

#1051 User is offline SuperSnoopy 

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:40 AM

• I prefer Sonic Advance to Sonic 2
  • Project:Learning how to fucking draw
I don't think he's on the development team or anything, iirc he just gave them a hand with the new engine they're using. (but don't quote me on that)

#1052 User is offline Jason 

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:56 AM

• *Results not lab tested.
IIRC he did the initial porting of the FP1 engine to Unity, but I don't think he's full-time staff.

It'd be cool if he and the rest of the Mania team came back to Retro to chat, but they've been MIA for over a year now.

#1053 User is offline XCubed 

Posted 02 December 2018 - 09:51 PM

• Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center
  • Wiki edits:5
Sonic Mania Plus Truffles are now a thing!

https://m.facebook.c...100002615001184

#1054 User is offline iGamr 

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:11 AM

Make one of those with the game's logo on it and you could briefly confuse it for a Switch cart. :v:

#1055 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:29 PM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash
(Late) minor sales update, but bad news for Mania Plus in the UK charts.

Three weeks ago it tanked hard in the all-format charts, dropping from 26 to 38 (near bottom of the chart). Worth noting that this week was also the same week the Spyro Re-Ignited Trilogy came out (which topped the charts, and is still in the Top 10 as of this writing), so I wouldn't be surprised if Spryo stole away whatever remaining audience Mania Plus might have had.

The game didn't recover from the drop, as it disappeared from the charts last week and didn't re-appear this week. This was pretty much the last realm of visibility the game had on any retail charts (as it has long disappeared from charts of other PAL territories, died a quick death in Japan's MSC, and never appeared in the US NPD). I haven't really counted to compare the number of weeks / months both games had, but I'm pretty confident Forces had a longer (consecutive) run on the UK charts than Mania Plus did.

I still maintain that in light of the distribution approach they chose, Mania Plus was an attempt by Sega to sell the game to a general audience (rather than strictly targeting Sonic diehards and enthusiasts who wanted a retail version) and I think they failed on that front by not bothering to give Mania Plus any meaningful mainstream advertising (the Mania Adventures shorts and Sonic 1 throwback commercial, while brilliant, were restricted solely to Sega/Sonic-specific avenues, and only available on the internet).

And while it is possible that Sega was presumably planning to save their marketing dollars for Team Sonic Racing this year (which ended up being delayed to 2019....oops), it's worth noting marketing for Sonic games in general during this era seems to have been severely cut down. Mania despite its digital release seemed to ultimately get more promotion than Forces, despite that game previously being touted as the major mainline Sonic release of that year and the one that had a retail presence. In light of that I'm not expecting Sega's approach to promoting Sonic games to improve much --if at all-- when TSR finally releases.

It really says a lot as to whether Sonic can even considered a mainstream series anymore when you're more likely to see Sonic in advertisements for other products rather than advertisements for his own games. And that the last television commercial specifically about the franchise was a promo for the social media accounts that aired on the [adult swim] evening block.

This post has been edited by Yeow: 04 December 2018 - 06:39 PM

• 71 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users