Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic X-treme STI Engines, Saturn, PC, Win95-PC+NV1, +V37 Level Editor - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 14 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic X-treme STI Engines, Saturn, PC, Win95-PC+NV1, +V37 Level Editor All Playable levels now included! +Updated V037 Engine Oct 23, 201

#166 User is offline Spinksy 

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:31 AM

View PostAndrew75, on 06 June 2015 - 01:42 PM, said:

== V037 SONICBOOM Sonic X-Treme Level Editor ==

kudos to JollyRoger on another fine release!
This is another "AS IS Release" so there are lot of bugs and issues as how it was found.

Posted Image

NOTES:
If you are missing a DLL, you may need to download the C++ x86 Redistributable. https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=40784
The readme file has a little more information on how to work the editor.
We had initially planned to do a PDF guide with illustrations, but seriously lack the time to do something like that these days.
Hoping we can get someone to write up an instruction guide and also someone to do some bug reports. ( there are a lot of issues that need to be documented)

SonicBoom "Sonic X-treme" Level editor for v037 levels. Release 001:
Mega
Hugefiles

Thanks for releasing this - now going to have a look.
This post has been edited by Spinksy: 08 June 2015 - 04:37 AM

#167 User is offline speedyink 

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:18 PM

It's a shame we won't see releases for a while, but JR definitely deserves the break! What has been released so far is really awesome.

Can't wait to play around with the editor, make up some sweet levels!

#168 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:34 PM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects

== V037 Engine release 3 ==
== With all 037 levels + More levels ==

Hey guys this is the Biggest release yet! This Mega release includes over 150 levels!
Many of which were never seen by the public before !

For the latest release of Jollyroger's modern Windows port for Ofer's V037 NV1 engine, This release breaks away from the "AS IS" state of our last release by adding:
*the ability to play music.
*Incorporates A camera distance Function which can be tweaked in each .def file to counterbalance level depth scaling differences vs Sonic's distance to camera.
*The engine now has a Global configuration file for Sonic's main physics attributes among other engine settings. (like V038 and above)
*Over 150 playable original STI experimental test levels are now included in the release, however many are duplicate files which
have different adjusted attributes like texture physics settings to help slow or speed sonic up in specific situations. Or are snapshots in time showing a level's development history from start to finish.

Each and every Level.def file that is playable with the release engine had to be edited like so:
*Sonic's main Physics were stripped out.
*Player parameter changed from Static to player.
*New Camera parameters set up and adjusted, to match camera distance between levels that had different depth scaling.
* Some color pallet links corrected.
*Replace all Ring and Enemy Blocks with Actors so that Sonic could pass threw them, and possibly interact with them in a future release.
*Attempted to tweak physics in the new Global file to make the game feel a little more playable.

Besides the modified levels, All of the original Level files and assets are also included in this leak in an unmodified form,
including levels that do not work with our engine since the levels are from older engine builds that we do not have.
There are also partial levels for other builds of the game as well.

Mega
Mediafire
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 23 October 2015 - 11:05 PM

#169 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 24 October 2015 - 06:19 AM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Awesome stuff! Great to see more and more of this game being available to play. Thanks to all involved in doing this!

At a rough guess, how far into final completion is this whole project, on your part? Are you close to finished, or do you think there'll be several more releases yet?

#170 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:16 AM

• Technical Artist

View PostOverlord, on 24 October 2015 - 06:19 AM, said:

Awesome stuff! Great to see more and more of this game being available to play. Thanks to all involved in doing this!

At a rough guess, how far into final completion is this whole project, on your part? Are you close to finished, or do you think there'll be several more releases yet?

Jollyroger will head updating the Saturn build next, implementing support for the more modern levels (the V042 levels from the 4 worlds video) and maybe even replacing the gameplay with better gameplay mechanics.

This post has been edited by Andrew75: 24 October 2015 - 09:17 AM

#171 User is offline Atendega 

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:25 AM

• Lesser Sea Sponge
  • Project:Collecting insults
So will some of these levels end up in AXSX?

#172 User is offline Techokami 

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:37 AM

• For use only on NTSC Genesis systems
  • Project:Sonic Edge
  • Wiki edits:63
That is some impressive stuff, guys! Good job on getting this done.

#173 User is offline Mors 

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:56 AM

• Fangame Creator
  • Project:Super Mario Flashback
That looks really interesting! I can't wait to play the levels made with this.
This post has been edited by Mors: 24 October 2015 - 11:59 AM

#174 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:28 PM

• Technical Artist
Okay guys, I have a request to make here, We're hoping to get some Classic Sonic gameplay mechanics into the next Sega Saturn release. But I myself wouldn't be of much use to Jollyroger since I'm more of a technical artists type guy.
And Jolly is an awesome programmer! He understands how games are put together.
Anyways, to save time, Jollyroger is interested in speaking with anyone who has an understanding how the classic Sonic physics work and help formulate a plan to get them into a 3D environment like Xtreme's.
We thought that perhaps this would be the best place to ask since there are a lot of people familiar with Sonic's mechanics.

View PostAtendega, on 24 October 2015 - 09:25 AM, said:

So will some of these levels end up in AXSX?

Yeah they are already in AXSX.

#175 User is offline Atendega 

Posted 24 October 2015 - 02:33 PM

• Lesser Sea Sponge
I dunno, isn't that kind of redundant? As great as it is that we finally found the source code, it will never be nearly as functional as AXSX.

#176 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 24 October 2015 - 03:40 PM

• Technical Artist

View PostAtendega, on 24 October 2015 - 02:33 PM, said:

I dunno, isn't that kind of redundant? As great as it is that we finally found the source code, it will never be nearly as functional as AXSX.

Showing how well that I can jump between platforms after a lot of practice in the level named ADA_05 found in RSRC19 folder of Release 3 for V037 STI engine, Vs the Classic styled Sonic gameplay used in my Project AXSX.

Jumping in the original game was a real bitch, and took a lot of effort, While jumping in AXSX was very easy and fluid.
Its just a matter of improving the controls for the original game so that they feel more Sonic like.

Now just imagine the fun you'd have platforming with better controls in the next update for Jolly's V040 build that will be running on
real Sega Saturn hardware with Fisheye intact!

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Off Topic but, Sandman over on Senntient forums posted some interesting finds you guys may like to see.
( I've seen them already myself of course)
There are a lot of never before seen assets and textures awaiting for you guys to discover!
Many have not been used in the levels that were leaked like new palm trees and level textures.
There are even a few 3D renders. This pack is A real treasure trove for Sonic Xtreme assets!

Giza Speedway is in here too! It crashes the engine, but it's in there!

Posted Image
High-res Sonic

Posted ImagePosted Image
New enemy -- there's no descriptive file name so I'm naming him Fishpedo

Other findings to be uploaded:
Creepy Sonic sprites
High-res sideways sprites
Brand new fire shield sprites
Eggman boss sprites (?)
Spin slash sprites -- all of them (!!!)

This post has been edited by Andrew75: 24 October 2015 - 04:01 PM

#177 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:16 PM

• Wiki edits:6

View PostAndrew75, on 24 October 2015 - 12:28 PM, said:

Anyways, to save time, Jollyroger is interested in speaking with anyone who has an understanding how the classic Sonic physics work and help formulate a plan to get them into a 3D environment like Xtreme's.
We thought that perhaps this would be the best place to ask since there are a lot of people familiar with Sonic's mechanics.

Have you linked him to the Sonic Physics guide on the Wiki?

View PostAndrew75, on 24 October 2015 - 03:40 PM, said:

Posted ImagePosted Image
New enemy -- there's no descriptive file name so I'm naming him Fishpedo

I wonder if he's related to Pedobear?

#178 User is offline Atendega 

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:36 PM

• Lesser Sea Sponge
I'm personally most excited that they found the spin slash. Do we think it was ever implemented in any way?
Regardless, seeing ANY AXSX footage is a treat.
This post has been edited by Atendega: 24 October 2015 - 04:37 PM

#179 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:47 PM

• Technical Artist

View PostAtendega, on 24 October 2015 - 04:36 PM, said:

I'm personally most excited that they found the spin slash. Do we think it was ever implemented in any way?
Regardless, seeing ANY AXSX footage is a treat.

Sadly the spinslash that was found has been reduced in size. Its not at the normal resolution of the standard Xtreme sprites.

#180 User is offline Vangar 

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:50 PM

• Wiki edits:2
There is a lot of interesting stuff in here.

RSRC02 Looks really old. Much older then what I have seen before.

Posted Image

Notice the different ring sprites, lack of angled floors (Its also where that fish enemy thing appears from the post above).

Not sure if this is the creepy Sonic Sandman mentioned but it is a pretty poor / old render of Sonic.

EDIT: AXSX looks amazing and needs a demo release so I can drool over it :specialed:
This post has been edited by Vangar: 24 October 2015 - 04:52 PM

• 14 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users