Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Concept Art & Mockups - Aquatic Ruin Mockups Needed!! - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 93 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Concept Art & Mockups - Aquatic Ruin Mockups Needed!! Share & discuss all concept art and project mockups

#736 User is offline nineko 

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:01 PM

• I am the Holy Cat
  • Project:I... don't even know anymore :U
  • Wiki edits:5,251
Yes. If anything, because it doesn't look good if it stays static for too long. I want to see animations everywhere.

#737 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:52 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Definately the flicker - and I love what you've done with that animation, as a side note.

#738 User is offline Conan Kudo 

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:10 PM

• 「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一
  • Wiki edits:14
QUOTE (The Growler @ Jul 23 2009, 12:47 PM)
QUOTE (ICEknight @ Jul 22 2009, 09:37 PM)
Perhaps the interruption is dragging for a bit too much, but that's basically the effect I was talking about. Nice job.
QUOTE (RedStripedShoes @ Jul 22 2009, 09:48 PM)

I believe the white noise interruption needs to be cut down a frame or two, but otherwise excellent work.

Or I could speed up the current white noise interruption frames to give the same effect?

QUOTE (Blanche Hodapp @ Jul 22 2009, 10:04 PM)
I don't like how you've kept a black border down either side of the image when it distorts.
I mean really, when it warps, it would slide right off the side of the screen instead of sliding behind a black bar.

Does that makes sense?
Perfect sense actually; I hadn't thought of that - thanks smile.png

QUOTE (Vincent @ Jul 22 2009, 10:27 PM)

Yeah!
It is exactly like it was in my head!

Thanks for lending your skills in drawing it so greatly! ^^
heh ^^ actually, all I've been using to do this, is a program called 'Benton Movie GIF' and also Paint.NET to do most of it for me smile.png

QUOTE (Vincent @ Jul 22 2009, 10:27 PM)
Changes to make:

Given this part of your animation is the one to be displayed most of time:
  • Create one "clean" "still" frame to replace the above animation. The main icon frame must look clean and without disturb.
  • The above trembling animation will appear as part of the disturb transition.
*addtional*
-Extend the disturb beyond the black bars

OK, I'll do 2 versions: one with shield 'animation'/flicker, and one without - with my latest version.

1) with 'animation'/flicker:

2) without 'animation'/flicker (if this is what you mean Vincent?):

Oops, not sure why they're not animating at the same time - guess I'm no good at doing maths ^^;

Definitely prefer the flicker version.

#739 User is offline Dr. Mustache 

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:14 PM

• Likes Sloths
Flicker Version.

#740 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:41 PM

• Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Character Artist
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD
  • Wiki edits:6
Good fixes Growler, and again good job on making those! wink.png

Yes, seeing the still image monitor frame as is, it looks definitely coming to a rough stop with all those animations before and after.
One solution could be to replace the still image with very fast flickering frames (by 1 ms or something extremely short) to simulate some more active blending, but we definitely need to see a test to judge it properly.

All the other fixes you've made are very nice, especially the bands now transitioning properly with the screen image.
Just one thing on the B&W effect:

-Your B&W effect is awesome, but on your latest version seems a bit too fast.

*Please, on the following animation do include one of the character icon monitors, just like Exodus have done.
It will be the final test to see how something with more details will look with your animation! *

Go on like this Grow! ^^

#741 User is offline DistroyA 

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:22 PM

• I WOD LICK A SONIC 2 ROMS
  • Project:My own artwork
  • Wiki edits:5
I agree with Vincent on the black and white static, but I prefer the slight flicker on the monitor before the screen gets interrupted to the static image. It makes the screen seem more believable.

If anything, the monitors are possibly the only thing HD in this project. I'll add more to this on the General Feedback thread.

#742 User is offline The Growler 

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE (Vincent @ Jul 23 2009, 10:41 PM)
Good fixes Growler, and again good job on making those! wink.png

Yes, seeing the still image monitor frame as is, it looks definitely coming to a rough stop with all those animations before and after.
One solution could be to replace the still image with very fast flickering frames (by 1 ms or something extremely short) to simulate some more active blending, but we definitely need to see a test to judge it properly.

All the other fixes you've made are very nice, especially the bands now transitioning properly with the screen image.
Just one thing on the B&W effect:

-Your B&W effect is awesome, but on your latest version seems a bit too fast.

*Please, on the following animation do include one of the character icon monitors, just like Exodus have done.
It will be the final test to see how something with more details will look with your animation! *

Go on like this Grow! ^^

Hmmm, at the moment I'm not sure how to increase the speed of the flickering shield without it looking like it's animation is zooming in fast-forward.

I don't think my gif animator is designed to handle the amount of frames that I'm seriously bombarding it with, lol. smile.png

At the moment - to speed up the flicker - I have 76 of my flickering shield frames, all going at 3 centiseconds [centisecond = 100th of a second, I presume] each frame (and then there's the 'disturbance' and white noise frames at a different speed too)!

So when I make a change to one of the frames, the program stops responding for about 25 seconds before I can continue!

#743 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:59 PM

Ok, don't worry about it. smile.png

The animation frames we require are the very same, so before moving it into "Approved" Art,
Please post the same animation but with one character icon head to see how it looks.

Thanks again for your work! ^^

#744 User is offline The Growler 

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (Vincent @ Jul 24 2009, 11:59 PM)
Ok, don't worry about it. smile.png

The animation frames we require are the very same, so before moving it into "Approved" Art,
Please post the same animation but with one character icon head to see how it looks.

Thanks again for your work! ^^

Unfortunately [as I said at the start of doing this], I had actually borrowed 2 of the frames from the monitor you did - this one:

which is what gave me the inspiration to play around with them and see what I could come up with ^^

So in reality, the credit goes to you for the artwork of the shield/scanlines and its effect, and I just controlled the animation side of it.
This post has been edited by The Growler: 24 July 2009 - 06:10 PM

#745 User is offline Elratauru 

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:10 PM

• Oooh Shiny stuff! don't touch it >:(
  • Project:Web Developer
  • Wiki edits:132
Jump frames, skip one between and there you will have more speed. People will not notice that little thing, since its too fast ^^U

#746 User is offline The Growler 

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (Elratauru @ Jul 25 2009, 12:10 AM)
Jump frames, skip one between and there you will have more speed. People will not notice that little thing, since its too fast ^^U
Agreed, but however it would also shorten the animation as a whole, making the interruption effect a lot more frequent, and can get a little distracting - although thanks for the idea; I'll see if anyone else has anything to add to that smile.png

#747 User is offline RedStripedShoes 

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:45 PM

• And I'm gone again.
  • Wiki edits:1
QUOTE (The Growler @ Jul 24 2009, 06:14 PM)
Agreed, but however it would also shorten the animation as a whole, making the interruption effect a lot more frequent, and can get a little distracting - although thanks for the idea; I'll see if anyone else has anything to add to that smile.png

Unless you play the animation twice between each flicker.

#748 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:09 PM

• Wiki edits:18
QUOTE (The Growler @ Jul 24 2009, 06:14 PM)
Agreed, but however it would also shorten the animation as a whole, making the interruption effect a lot more frequent, and can get a little distracting
Well... Not any more than the original.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 25 July 2009 - 01:27 PM

#749 User is offline The Growler 

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:27 PM

Sorry it took a while to get back to you.

I thought it might help a little to show you guys the program that I'm working with to do these animations, so you will see how I change the delay times between the animations.
Of course, I'll remove it if there's some unwritten rule about not showing people the program you work with wink.png

Anyway, here's the 'quicker' version of the monitor. IMHO I'd say the time is much too short between the distortions

Just give the word, and I'll lengthen the time the distortion effect occurs - but I suppose I would need to know how much longer/faster/slower to do any of the effects:

Just to remind Vincent that I'd appreciate if he did the scanlines and 2 frames for the other monitors - then I can do the rest

*edit*
Here's a longer version of it, just in case smile.png

This post has been edited by The Growler: 27 July 2009 - 05:27 PM

#750 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:38 PM

As soon as I'll be back home, I'll produce them accordingly! ^^

On the monitor completion tough, we still need the invincibility and Ring monitor icons to be remastered! Anyone is free to take your own attempt.

• 93 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users