don't click here

Sonic 2 HD

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Canned Karma, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Energy

Energy

There are better ways to handle keyboard input - I don't think it's that clear cut...
    My theory is that this is part of the online mode that was talked about, so that they recorded exactly what was pressed to get the time that you got. A way to weed out tools and hacks so that only legititmate times appear on the scoreboard. Still the code should not be there is such a mode is not included.

2. Falk

Falk

BREAKING NEWS UPDATE:

<Guess_Who> ahhhh
    <Guess_Who> if you use directinput and a 360 controller
    <Guess_Who> it responds when out of focus
    * TimmiT has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 121 seconds)
    <Guess_Who> but it only happens with directinput, not raw keyboard input

Until further information is uncovered please refrain from entering passwords or bank account information with your 360 gamepads, even when S2HD is out of focus. I'll update this post with more information as it becomes available.

3. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Honestly, whether or not it is functional or actually transmits data is somewhat irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that it is there in the first place, and could be used in some form or fashion in the future by someone who both knows of its existence and what to do with it. The fact it exists in the first place is malicious enough.

4. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    This is literally all that happens: Open Sonic 2 HD. Start the game. Switch to another window. Press the jump key while the other window is in focus. Sonic jumps. And this only happens if you use DirectInput (with raw keyboard input enabled, the game does not respond when out of focus), leading me to believe it's just a bug with how DirectInput is implemented. Extrapolating this behavior into "LOst is spying on us!" is a massive stretch.

5. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    Everyone needs to unknot their panties and take three deep breaths. I doubt the code had malicious intentions but in this age of the criminal internet hacker and the hysteria that surrounds them, it was retarded to include such a feature.

6. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    I will never trust anything by LOst regardless again. Especially the amount of trouble this has caused the entire fanbase. Anyone in the position of employement would be having their god damn asses sued to kingdom kong by everything imaginable facing jail time, fines, and loss of employement.

7. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    If this was all a huge misunderstanding and some side effect of harmless input methods, why hasn't LOst said anything to explain himself.

Aside from being an egotistic prick who probably feel like he doesn't have to justify shit to fuck.

8. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Because LOst rarely posts here anyway. He don't give a fuck.

9. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    That's the other part of the problem. I'm suprised that I haven't threaten his life over that. Yeah, seriousily.

10. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Not unless it's an actual functioning keylogger though. But it would certainly insta-fail the standards test on Steam or any other console submissions scheme. Right now, there are 3 features which may or may not be related, but together make the game look very suss to malware detection software:

- Writing values to registry
    - Code obfuscation
    - Input detected regardless of window focus

If there is no malicious intent though, (which you would hope in this community) I'm surprised the whole "virus detected" issue hasn't been dealt with apart from "just download it, it's fine". I wouldn't want anyone thinking my product was dubious.

11. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    With regards to the registry thing: the registry was designed to store configuration information. I don't know if that was what LOst was trying to do... but why under NakaSMK and not S2HD?

12. Tithin

Tithin

There ain't no row, like Saints Row. Member
    Because as he said in response to criticisms;

13. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    NakaSMK is the engine name I believe. I don't know what SMK stands for. After seeing inputing the cheat code on the forum I always visualize it as NakaSWAK (sealed with a kiss).

EDIT: Ninja'd see post above

14. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Then he is god damn moron. A little common sense here would have been wise. In the Windows Vista and 7 enviorment you have to run the program as admin before you could even use it with that registry thing. Atleast that's how Windows will treat you in my experince. In XP it's fucking evil to do.

15. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Sonic Miles Knuckles. Taken from Sonic 3 variable names, if I recall correctly.

16. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    That wasn't what I was asking. I was asking why he was using the engine name — I would assume he's intending on using this for more than just Sonic 2 HD.

17. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Either he is fucking moron or he was trying to fool some victoms and walk off with someone's credit card, but failed miserably.

18. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    SMK = Sonic Malicious-Keylogger-Inside & Knuckles

WHEN WILL YOU OPEN YOUR EYES TO SEE WHAT THE GOVERNMENT IS DOING TO US?

19. Falk

Falk

Why would writing values to registry be that dubious outside of this context? I mean even the most basic things like a record of installation directory (for patch installers, etc) utilizes the registry for that purpose.

20. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    To some extent. Did the program even have an installer? If not it would have been wiser to use a config file to avoid setting this off. Avast! will corrupt the hell of download after a certain amount, so I could never analayze the contents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.