don't click here

SonLVL

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, Feb 7, 2011.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Importing from an image? It has to be a paletted image, the pixel data doesn't matter. It imports the image's palette starting at the color you have selected in the palette view.

2. Tidbit

Tidbit

I'm afraid that would be where you lost me, would you mind explaining how one sets up a paletted image?

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    That depends on what editor you're using. For example, in Paint Shop Pro, you go to Image -> Decrease Color Depth -> 256 Colors (8 bit). However just doing that will probably not work like you want it to. The editor will probably assign colors to the palette in no specific order and won't include duplicate colors. You can try rearranging the image's palette to look how you want it ingame, but you may be better off just editing the colors individually with SonLVL.

4. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I had an issue where despite objects being there in my layout, they did not appear (some of them anyway) in the actual game. Odd as this was, I found it was because Remember State on every single sprite on the map was set to False when I loaded the stage (GHZ1). Is there a quick way to set all sprites in that layout to Remember State or would I literally have to go through each and every one individually?

5. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    You could click in the upper left corner of the level and use the arrow keys + Ctrl to drag the selection area to the bottom right corner (and then deselect any start positions with Ctrl + click), or you could wait a bit and I'll add an option to Select All Objects, Select All Rings, etc. Although the objects should have automatically had the Remember State flag set when you placed them...

6. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Yeah I found that odd as well. Thanks I'll give that a go and if that doesn't work then I'll wait XD

EDIT: Even weird is they were set to false even loading the bog standard GHZ1 stuff. No clue how I keep doing these things haha. (Also even after redownloading the S1 2005 INIs the same issue is there. Man this is weird.)

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    It seems I broke S1 object loading while I was removing some code duplication a while back. I've fixed that, and added two items to the context menu for selecting objects/rings.

8. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Awesome stuff, glad to hear it.

EDIT: I was messing with solid walls just now and oddly enough they were non solid when solid was set to true and solid when it was false. Weird stuff.

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I don't remember if it's been said, but is the wiki still accurate in saying that SonLVL doesn't have write support for S3&K? If so, is it an issue of not enough understanding of S3&K, or is it something even bigger?

10. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    The wiki says "SonLVL is a utility for editing levels in the 16-bit versions of Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic & Knuckles Collection and the PC version of Sonic CD.", what you're reading is the section on Beta 5, which was released quite a while ago. The other updates since then are in the Mercurial repository's changelog.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    SonLVL Update:
    This means you have to update all your INI files and object definitions.

12. Joy. Hope this improves performance!

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    It... shouldn't...
    At least, not significantly.

14. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
  15. BaconFace

BaconFace

DrTapeworm Member
    I have no idea how to set up the disassembly for this. I have all the required files, I opened S1LVL.ini and I get an error along the lines of "FileNotFoundException: Palette file could not be loaded!" even though I have the palette files and such in the INI folder. It doesn't help that the readme is terribly vague when it comes to setting things up, and there aren't any tutorials from what I can gather.

I'm using the Sonic 1 Project 128 (kram1024 version) disassembly, by the way.

16. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    It seems that a lot of people end up putting the disassembly in the INI file folder instead of putting the INI file folder in the disassembly folder. You see SonED2's "project" folder? SonLVL is set up exactly the same way.

17. winterhell

winterhell

It might not be a very "clean" approach, but how about detecting if the ini forder is not in the disassembly ? I mean most emulators detect if the rom is binary or smd format even if the extension is wrong. 10 lines of code may save you the trouble of explaining it over and over again :)

18. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    That would require including the name of the ASM file (or the EXE for SCDPC/S&KC?) in the INI file, and then everyone that renames their ASM file would have to edit the INIs. And even then, what would that do? Pop up a messagebox saying "HEY YOU'RE NOT SETTING IT UP RIGHT"?

19. BaconFace

BaconFace

DrTapeworm Member
    This isn't working for me, either. Same error message, same thing as before.

There's a lot of folders in the disassembly. Which one do I need to put the INI files in?

20. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    The one with the main asm file.