Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Footage from the first known Sonic 3D Blast build - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Footage from the first known Sonic 3D Blast build ...With split screen!

#16 User is offline Chris-M 

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:10 AM

I get what you mean but I'm not sure they could work very well on an isometric platformer. In fact I'm not sure any isometric platformer controls well at all, or maybe it's just me. I always get confused with the directions on isometric-view games, like the old FIFAs and R.C. ProAm for example.
This post has been edited by Chris-M: 09 September 2017 - 01:14 AM

#17 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:45 AM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostOverlord, on 08 September 2017 - 04:37 PM, said:

Fantastic little video - nice to see a potential multiplayer WAS tried considering it was the first Sonic Mega Drive title since the very first one not to have one in some form (hell, even fucking ERASER has a 2P mode). A shame it didn't work.
Maybe they should have tried using the interlaced mode before completely ditching the idea. =\

#18 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:24 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204

View PostCooljerk, on 08 September 2017 - 05:49 PM, said:

Fantastic little video - nice to see a potential multiplayer WAS tried considering it was the first Sonic Mega Drive title since the very first one not to have one in some form (hell, even fucking ERASER has a 2P mode). A shame it didn't work.

Sonic & knuckles has no multiplayer :V

S3&K is one game. ;P

#19 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:51 PM

• wikiman
  • Project:thinking of a better member title
  • Wiki edits:20,569

View PostCooljerk, on 09 September 2017 - 12:55 AM, said:

Tank controls aren't that bad when you get used to them.

I've noticed this "top down racers are hard to control" thing turn up a few times in recent years - it might stem from an old AVGN episode or something. Best not to point out that every single third-person racing game uses the same control scheme, albeit with a different camera angle (that technically obscures more of the road ahead and should make driving more difficult... but whatever).

View PostICEknight, on 09 September 2017 - 01:45 AM, said:

Maybe they should have tried using the interlaced mode before completely ditching the idea. =\

Geuninely - does anyone even know how it works? There's only two Mega Drive games I know of that use the feature, and despite nearly 20 years of research into the subject, I can't recall any Sonic 2 hacks that touch the two-player mode (e.g. nobody's made other zones like Chemical Plant work in multiplayer).

My guess is was either completely undocumented back in the early 90s or it was beyond horrible to work with.

#20 User is offline minichapman 

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:05 PM

• I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdom, but the odds are agains
  • Project:Staying sane.
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostOverlord, on 09 September 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

View PostCooljerk, on 08 September 2017 - 05:49 PM, said:

Sonic & knuckles has no multiplayer :V

S3&K is one game. ;P

Spinball doesn't technically either. Well, not simultaneously anyway. Not to be a smart arse, or anything.

Now that I think about it. Spinball's 'multiplayer' is pretty redundant. While Super Mario Bros. does the same thing with multiplayer, Spinball's level design is more constructed to a single level taking a fair while to complete (with the Machine and Showdown taking even longer to try and complete).
This post has been edited by minichapman: 09 September 2017 - 03:18 PM

#21 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:49 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
But it still has it! Yes, I did think about that =P

#22 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:41 AM

• Project:College
  • Wiki edits:22

Oh because stretching everything would help (and let's not forget about the awesome not-slippery and ultra precise controls S3D has). Also: performance issues.
This post has been edited by Master Emerald: 13 September 2017 - 10:42 AM

#23 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:10 AM

View PostMaster Emerald, on 13 September 2017 - 10:41 AM, said:

Oh because stretching everything would help
It would help seeing more stuff around the player, which was the main problem why this was ditched, yes.

#24 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:46 AM

View PostICEknight, on 13 September 2017 - 11:10 AM, said:

View PostMaster Emerald, on 13 September 2017 - 10:41 AM, said:

Oh because stretching everything would help
It would help seeing more stuff around the player, which was the main problem why this was ditched, yes.

Posted Image

The console would display more things around the player, but with the stretching, actually perceiving the surroundings would be a lot harder.

The game uses a fake 3D, and with the stretching, running upwards would feel really slow and sideways ultra fast, it would look even more fake. Now imagine trying to hit an enemy or capture a flicky with that distortion. Seeing less is the lesser problem -- Have you ever noticed how weird a loop-de-loop looks in Sonic 2 2P mode? At least you can just hold -> and you'll go through the loop, now imagine that but present in every single corner you take.
This post has been edited by Master Emerald: 13 September 2017 - 02:15 PM

#25 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:01 PM

^ I have to agree. Squashed screens are pretty awkward, which was why Sonic 3's Competition mode used a zoomed out view instead, and why Mania's was a step back in that aspect. They would have been even worse in Sonic 3D, as it uses an isometric angle and has diagonal movement, so they would have made it extremely awkward to control.
This post has been edited by Blue Spikeball: 13 September 2017 - 02:07 PM

#26 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:26 PM

• Project:Posting a lot (I have a lot of time at work)
  • Wiki edits:10
Isometric squashed sounds terrible, no thank you.

And that wouldn't have been a problem with Mania if the multiplayer was online now would it :v:

#27 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:06 PM

It would! I'd still set my TV to 4:3 everytime I play multiplayer so it looks less Stretched.

#28 User is offline HP Zoner 

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:14 PM

• Project:Crash Mania
Oh, good, so I'm not the only one who does that, then! :v:

#29 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:01 AM

I don't have anybody to play local multiplayer with, but setting my TV to 4:3 was already the thing I was planning to do whenever the time comes.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 14 September 2017 - 08:02 AM

#30 User is offline Clownacy 

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:24 AM

• Layin' the Wax and Spinnin' the Sounds

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 09 September 2017 - 02:51 PM, said:

Geuninely - does anyone even know how it works? There's only two Mega Drive games I know of that use the feature, and despite nearly 20 years of research into the subject, I can't recall any Sonic 2 hacks that touch the two-player mode (e.g. nobody's made other zones like Chemical Plant work in multiplayer).

My guess is was either completely undocumented back in the early 90s or it was beyond horrible to work with.

Knuckles' Emerald Hunt has two-player, and all of the relevant custom spritework had to be made 2P-compatible. SonLVL also supports 2P-friendly level creation, so that's covered too. I also believe there was (is?) an unreleased project that actually did port levels from S1 and the like to S2's two-player. I'd say it's less 'people don't know how it works', and more 'people don't have friendswant to play multiplayer'. I mean, just look at Sonic Bash in that one Hacking Contest, it just got ignored.

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users